Best 7.3L fuel additive?

medicfernando

Adventurer
Hello all. I have a 2003 EB 50 7.3L 4x4 SMB with 75,000 miles. I just learned today that I should be adding an additive to my fuel at every fillup. What are the thoughts on this? What additives are guys using and what do you all think is the best? Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers! Fernando

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I run Supertech 2-stroke oil on occasion, mostly in the winter.

MUCH cheaper than any fancy bottle.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Unicorn tears.....

I think it comes down to preference. I have worked EMS for years and we run the 7.3 in a lot of our rigs.
Not many these days since ford phased them out in favor of that newer crap.

Those trucks are run hard year round and we never add stuff to them.
Current county crew I work for might have something added to their private tank but when I was running in Maine we just went down to the local gas station.
Never any problems with the 7.3

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I buy the Powerservice stuff from Walmart (in my Fuso, but similar engine technology). Usually the Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost.

It's inexpensive and readily available.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Unicorn tears.....

I think it comes down to preference. I have worked EMS for years and we run the 7.3 in a lot of our rigs.
Not many these days since ford phased them out in favor of that newer crap.

Those trucks are run hard year round and we never add stuff to them.
Current county crew I work for might have something added to their private tank but when I was running in Maine we just went down to the local gas station.
Never any problems with the 7.3

don't forget fuel formulations have changed CONSIDERABLY since the powerstroke was introduced in 1994.5. What worked great then doesn't now. Take a part with 100k miles then switch to a fuel that accelerates wear and you're likely not gonna see the 250k miles these rigs are known for.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
don't forget fuel formulations have changed CONSIDERABLY since the powerstroke was introduced in 1994.5. What worked great then doesn't now. Take a part with 100k miles then switch to a fuel that accelerates wear and you're likely not gonna see the 250k miles these rigs are known for.

Uh, 250k?

Try 400+

Gravity

Observer
'nother vote for the Stanadyne Performance. Use the grey bottle Diesel Kleen +cetane boost if i'm out of the Stanadyne

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho

We had one with nearly 300 k on the clock that was still in service up to 2010.
Had early 7.3 that had 150 something on it
and then a later model that was well over a hundred k

These were all running when I left that service in 2011. Now we run v10's. Gutless POS's IMHO

Fairly impressive when I think about those things slogging around 15k in weight all the time, constantly getting hot fueled, running around the clock
Never any additives.

If it was my personal truck?????? Who knows. I guess I just dont trust many " cures in a bottle"

pugslyyy

If it was my personal truck?????? Who knows. I guess I just dont trust many " cures in a bottle"

For me it's a question of whether or not you believe that a truck that was designed for higher content sulfur diesel will run okay on the current ULSD, or whether some supplementation would be beneficial to reduce engine wear and/or increase mileage.

I've read enough reports that I believe there are some benefits, for some motors. For the cost, I'm willing to toss a bottle in when I fill up.

longboardcr

Best lubricity study I have been able to find.

For me it's a question of whether or not you believe that a truck that was designed for higher content sulfur diesel will run okay on the current ULSD, or whether some supplementation would be beneficial to reduce engine wear and/or increase mileage.

I've read enough reports that I believe there are some benefits, for some motors. For the cost, I'm willing to toss a bottle in when I fill up.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html

pugslyyy

I have a 5 gallon of Opti-Lube in my garage. I use it when I'm local but it is too much hassle to haul with me on my trips - that's when I resort to the WalMart solution. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier