Noob 2M Wiring Question

RubiChris

Observer
I'm currently studying for my tech license and am researching a mobile unit for my JK. My question: Most sources say to wire directly to the battery to avoid issues with the electrical system, etc. I have an sPod already installed. Would it be okay to wire the radio to it? I would like to do it for ease of hookup, elimination of draining the battery if I forget and leave it on, and a cleaner install. I'm running a dual National Luna battery system with my winch and refrigerator wired directly. Everything else I'm running (lights, etc) are wired through the sPod.

Thanks!

Chris

Expedition Leader
Go ahead and try it wired to the sPod; if it sounds good then fine, if you get any extraneous noise then wire it straight to the battery. Don't run your power wires and your antenna coax alongside each other if ever you can help it.

mike the welder

Adventurer
Just make sure the wire and fuse are rated for what the radio is rated for. My Kenwood sits at about 1 amp just being on, but when I key up the mic at high power it jumps to about 9 amps. It's rated for 13 amps. If your running more than one device on the same circuit at the same time it could be a problem. Good luck on your exam. If you study for the General also you can take them both for the same price. It's not much harder than the Tech. I only studied for the Tech and didn't study for the General and only missed the General by 2 questions.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Just make sure the wire and fuse are rated for what the radio is rated for. My Kenwood sits at about 1 amp just being on, but when I key up the mic at high power it jumps to about 9 amps. It's rated for 13 amps. If your running more than one device on the same circuit at the same time it could be a problem. Good luck on your exam....
X2
So it depends on your radio and your wiring.
I ran a dedicated 8-gauge wire from the battery to a Blue Sea distribution block under the glove-box. I put in a big honkin 50-amp fuse at the battery along with all the fuses in the Blue Sea ---- and the radio itself has a fuse on both legs of the wiring.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
As mentioned make sure your wiring can handle all the loads that could be applied to it. I think most radios have a time out feature where if you don't use it for a period of time ( user adjustable) it will automatically shut off. There are times when you will use the radio but don't need the key in the on or run position. Alternator whine can be an issue when wiring in a radio (just like your FM radio) and the battery acts as a buffer. Wire it in where you want and test the radio fully with the engine running before cutting any wires. Don't try high power in your garage...the RF signal can make the metal track hum...guess how I know that.

Darrell

RubiChris

Observer
I took (and passed) my Technician test this weekend.

Now I need to get busy working out the radio install while I wait for my name to appear on the FCC database website.

Thanks again for all the input.

rayra

Expedition Leader
The 'wire direct to battery' shorthand thing was about avoiding signal interference from engine electronics, via damaged old wiring or inductance from wiring looms. Obviating all that with a fresh new wire run separately to the battery is the genesis of that. That and the fusing issue. Along the way the shorthand became the lore without explanation.

It really makes no difference if you go direct battery or your aftermarket sub-panel, as long as the power is clean and interference-free.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Awesome! good job man. Love seeing people taking the time to get the license, so many people these brush it off and use radio illegally.

I remember when I first got mine, just after high school. It was over 10 years ago now. Time sure does fly.

My yaesu 7800 is wired to the bluesea fuse box under my seat. You should be fine. Id hook it up and see how it goes. Worst case is you have to change it.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It really makes no difference if you go direct battery or your aftermarket sub-panel, as long as the power is clean and interference-free.
I think the recommendation stems from two things. The first is interference, minimal junctions and balanced power helps to remain free of common mode noise. The second I suspect is practical, to guarantee the return is sufficient for the power. Vehicle accessories are often simply grounded to the nearest chassis tie point without much regard for the fact that even relatively low power 50W mobiles are consuming 8A to 10A of current. A 100W HF will consume beyond 20A on peaks.

A #8 screw with a star washer and 16 AWG to the body is insufficient. Not only might it be a fusing hazard it can easily cause problematic voltage dips. If the ground has even 0.25 ohm of impedance that means at full power the voltage will dip 2V from the ground elevating. Even if you do ground with a big enough wire, often bodies are isolated with rubber pucks or body seams are not well bonded electrically, so the common denominator must be to tell everyone to run to the battery to cover all possibilities.

Battery power at ~12V is already something of a compromise since most radios are designed to actually run at 13.8V and will only really dissipate their full rated power with the engine running. If you're sitting with the engine off and the battery at 12.3V it's doesn't take much ground impedance for the radio power to compress to 10V or less, which means you're probably going to be transmitting with a lot less power than you think, if the radio doesn't blink off in extreme cases.

So you are 100% correct that there's nothing magical about full runs, but it's prudent to make sure if you decide to deviate from the recommendation that you account for all the variables.

The truth is a car body and frame are excellent conductors but you have to make sure there are jumpers equally good to make sure they are all tied together and back to the source. That's another critical thing missed on most cars, the final jump to the battery isn't necessarily going to be very good between the body and negative terminal. The largest connection from the factory is between the battery and engine block for the starter. So it's not unusual for there only to be a small wire connecting the body to return, which you might need to augment.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier