Isuzu camper build update

IGBT

Observer
I lost my password for Jfet and no longer have the email associated with that account.

Just wanted to post a little update on our camper build on a 2006 Isuzu NRR with 20 foot flatbed.

All of our current efforts have been focused on the garage pod unit which will sit on the flatbed behind the camper living pod (both removable with the same jacks). The garage pod measures 8'4" wide, 7'6" tall and 10' long. It is a foot shorter than the camper pod because it sports a roof rack which will hold canoes, kayaks, etc. The rack attaches at the sides and spans the roof with 8020 t-slot for attaching hold-down accessories. We put rubber blocks into the t-slot to aid support over the long span. There are no holes whatsoever in the aluminum roof of the garage pod, same as the camper pod.

The main door to the garage pod also functions as a vehicle ramp and a porch or work table. Because we wanted unobstructed sides when the door is used as a porch, we decided not to go with a traditional torsion spring/cable system or other type of fixed actuator. We installed two 3500 pound rating Superwinch Terra series winches with synthetic cable which pull the 300 pound door up from each side. The winch motors are wired in series which causes them to share the load of the door equally. Either winch, cable, and brake can hold the door by itself, which adds a measure of safety in case of component failure.

When the ramp door is to be used as a porch, two of the camper jacks can be installed in the ramp feet and the winch cables can be disconnected, giving a nice, unobstructed 7 foot by 7 foot stable platform. Since the garage pod sits on a 40 inch high flatbed, the feet also act as standoffs, protecting the door trim and decreasing the angle of the ramp. We may add a small flip ramp to the end or use a portable ramp off the ramp door edge. I don't really think it will be much of an issue riding our lightweight 250cc dual sport bikes up the slope.

We are still undecided about keeping the Isuzu or going with a bigger truck. I like the relatively low profile of the Isuzu on the 19" wheels but with the weight of the camper and garage pod we are getting on the heavy side. The ideal truck would be a low pro 26000 pound GVWR but the only thing I have found is a UD2300LP (which does give about 1000 to 1500 pounds more capacity). Really won't know if we need to upgrade the truck until the garage pod is mounted and we evaluate things.

newwinch1.jpg

roofrack1.jpg

porch2.jpg

doordiamond.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I lost my password for Jfet and no longer have the email associated with that account.

Surely you can contact one of the site admins to sort that out, or maybe you are happy with being part of the witness relocation program, where you get a whole new identity. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz