2013 Jeep JKU Sahara- Project: Hi-Vis

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I think the lift choice is a good one. I personally like my KM2s, the only other tire I've had is the Cooper Discoverer AT2 which I liked as well. They're not as aggressive at the BFG though. My buddy has Duratracs and really likes them. I think once my KM2s wear out I will try Duratracs.

If you have a tire shop mount your wheels and tires, they'll usually move the TPMS for you. Good luck.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I think the lift choice is a good one. I personally like my KM2s, the only other tire I've had is the Cooper Discoverer AT2 which I liked as well. They're not as aggressive at the BFG though. My buddy has Duratracs and really likes them. I think once my KM2s wear out I will try Duratracs.

If you have a tire shop mount your wheels and tires, they'll usually move the TPMS for you. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I plan on trying out the KM2. I have seen a tremendous amount of great reviews on those tires and most were high mileage reviews so I will try those since I will be planning the Honeymoon trip to Maine in October and we will be driving the Jeep.

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I plan on trying out the KM2. I have seen a tremendous amount of great reviews on those tires and most were high mileage reviews so I will try those since I will be planning the Honeymoon trip to Maine in October and we will be driving the Jeep.

I had bfg km2 but switched to bfg t/a KO all terrains when I did my 2.5" AEV lift and I couldn't be happier. Ride and road noise improved dramatically. I'll be taking it out on a desert trip in the next few weeks so we'll see what the off-road performance is like but if this is your daily driver I'd gladly trade any marginal difference in off-road performance for daily on road comfort.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I had bfg km2 but switched to bfg t/a KO all terrains when I did my 2.5" AEV lift and I couldn't be happier. Ride and road noise improved dramatically. I'll be taking it out on a desert trip in the next few weeks so we'll see what the off-road performance is like but if this is your daily driver I'd gladly trade any marginal difference in off-road performance for daily on road comfort.

I have also been checking out the KO2 from BFG. My Jeep is my daily driver but I really only drive abotu 11 miles to work one way. But word on the street is my team will have to travel between 6 nuclear stations to help other teams so A/T might be a good choice also. Damn I am having a harder time choosing my lift and tires than I did finding my Jeep!

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer

Ordered a Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel- Stage 1 for the Jeep!

Last edited:

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
crappy sketch and a decent deal on tires

Well I came across a pretty good deal I found on Craigslist.

4- 35" Toyo Open Country MT for $980

New they seem to be around $350 a tire for the same size. now I just need to find a full size spare. I will pick them up a few days before my lift gets here.

I got bored at work tonight and I wanted to see about what the Jeep would look like with a Gobi Stealth Rack, the tires and wheels. I added a decal I have been trying to work on and its finally looking good. I like the look of the jeep and that decal will go perfect with what I will mainly be doing with my jeep.

Just look past the crappy pixelated tires and wheels and yes those are 6 lug wheels.... didnt feel like changing them.

hivis parts pic.jpg

While Im waiting on my lift I am going to start building my interior storage. I am leaning towards building it around having the entire rear seat area a modular system to where it can either be entirely removed, 60% seat section removed and then the seat being installed. Just incase of extra passengers. but when its just my fiacne, myself, and the dogs I will have it completely removed.

Off to the drawing board again...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that those tires have less that 4,000 miles on them

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Flex Stage 1 is here and Installed!!

Well I got the lift kit on Thursday and I couldnt handle that it was just sitting in the boxes so Friday I went to my buddy's house and we started tearing her apart. We got the rear axle done tat night and then the front was the pain in the butt. But we managed to finish everything up on Saturday. I called a local tire shop to get it aligned.... They said they would be open until 6pm and we got there at 5:15 only to find that no one was there. I wasnt too happy about that but I completely understand due to the Easter Holiday. Im not going to be able to get those Toyos and make it to Uwharrie this weekend so Im going to have to go get another set. But here are some pictures from the weekend. All I have left to do to make this kit complete is get the alignment and then install the extended brake lines.

rk lift.jpg

rear rk lift.jpg

RK front lift.jpg

RK complete lift 2.jpg

RK complete lift 1.jpg

I also got a package in from Rod Louvers. There is a guy on here (I cant remember his name) but he also used this company and welded in his louvers flush instead of getting a bolt on louver kit. I loved the smooth look so I got some. Since the Project name is "HI-VIS" I ordered a 3 louvers. 2- has 22 vents and the other one has 8 vents in them. I got 8 vents because H is the 8th letter and then V is the 22nd letter. Jsut a small detail I wanted to add. Im sure no one else would ever notice but oh well!

hood louvers.jpg

Now I just need to weld them in and go get the hood painted. I might try to get another stock JK hood like off Craigslist or something and weld it up and paint it.

As far as installing the lift. I absolutely loved the install. Marcus at River City Offroad out of Texas helped me out tremendously. the install went well with the tools my firned and I had. We didnt have all the nice tools but I will say air tools are a life saver and also a spring compressor is also my very good friend. Rock Krawler did a great job when they came out with this kit. I got the stage 1 kit because it had everything I needed.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Looks good brother. That decal should be pretty cool too and the lovers should be sick. Can't wait to see it all come together.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Looks good brother. That decal should be pretty cool too and the lovers should be sick. Can't wait to see it all come together.

Thanks man! I cant wait to see it either! Im going to get the jeep aligned and hopefully get some tires put on it before I get to test out the suspension this weekend up in Uwharrie. Then I will start working on my interior storage! Im off night shift now so I can actually do work on the jeep!

JohnXDoe

I'm extremely curious about the light bar mounted there. I currently have a 52" bar mounted on my windshield, and I hate it! Super loud and killed gas mileage!

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I'm sure you've already figured this out but with my 2.5" teraflex lift I was able to run 35x12.5x17s on stock five spoke rims with 1.25" spacers. I did get a little rub on the front air dam when I steering was locked in either direction but it wasn't a big deal. Five minutes with a dremel would have taken care of it but I didn't run the 35s for long. (I bought them used and decided they weren't for me and unloaded them after a couple months.)

Pic for reference.
eo9C740l.jpg

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I'm extremely curious about the light bar mounted there. I currently have a 52" bar mounted on my windshield, and I hate it! Super loud and killed gas mileage!

The light bar is mounted on custom brackets my buddy and I designed. Also you can mount pods on it also. There is no wind noise at all and unlike the upper mounting option the lower doesnt kill the gas mileage. After installing the tires I went from 19.5 mpg to about 15. I bought the AEV Procal and around town I get about 18mpg and on the interstate traveling around 75 or 80 i am getting back around 19.5 mpg. I did notice when I had the light bar on top i was down to about 16 with stock tires. I was shocked that the light bar would do that much damage to the gas mileage.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I'm sure you've already figured this out but with my 2.5" teraflex lift I was able to run 35x12.5x17s on stock five spoke rims with 1.25" spacers. I did get a little rub on the front air dam when I steering was locked in either direction but it wasn't a big deal. Five minutes with a dremel would have taken care of it but I didn't run the 35s for long. (I bought them used and decided they weren't for me and unloaded them after a couple months.)

Pic for reference.
eo9C740l.jpg

I didnt have any problems with the 2.5" Rock Krawler kit and 35's. The only rubbing I had was on my stock bumper when I was flexing (sway bars disconnected) but thanks to my fiancee backing into my jeep I get to replace my very lightly dented front bumper.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Current progress of my interior storage. Its similar to Stage 1 and 2 from Adventure Trailers... but alot cheaper. I dont need nothing too fancy and expensive. Ive got about $90 in plywood and screws for both.

storage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles