2013 Jeep JKU Sahara- Project: Hi-Vis

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I sold my 1999 Jeep TJ in November '14 and then turned right back around and bought a 2013 Jeep JKU Sahara. It was bone stock and the Jeeps previous owner was a soccer mom. I had been looking for the Crush color for a while so I found it and I jumped on it quick! I have always wanted to build an Overland Jeep but when I had the TJ it just didn’t seem to be a good idea. About a month after I bought the '13 JKU I took it to Uwharrie and I could have guessed that I would have been the only one that was bone stock out of the guys we met up there and I was right. But to be honest... with the stock Bridgestone tires, and no lift the Jeep did awesome! I was overly impressed with it!

Project: HI-VIS... High Visibility..

This build will be an Overland JKU Build. I want to be able to completely rely on the Jeep for 3-5 days (other than packing up food and beer from the store before the 3-5 days).

image1.jpg
ure2.jpg
image6.jpg
image23.jpg
image20.jpg

I am about to order either the Rock Krawler X-Factor Mid Arm 3.5" Lift or the Rock Krawler Mid Arm Flex 3.5" Lift. Either way I will be running 35" BFG A/T (New Version KO2s??) Im leaning towards the LEVEL 8 ZX Wheels. And after that I will start looking into winches, interior storage, roof rack, deleting my rear side and hatch windows and replace them with these...

IMG_7888Small.jpg

But I will make them my self instead of spending like $350 or something like that PER window...

I will be running a RubiCam Live Feed Camera for my "rearview mirror". But I will later add more cameras to that system so I can be my own spotter. I would like to get some JK Habitat stuff for the jeep. I was very interested in the hardtop tent but I think instead of spending about $10K, I will get a roof rack mounted tent for now.

What do you think so far for my build and the future plans? Let me know!

A

AngryRedBird

I like your plans so far and you spent some quality time on the the TJ very similar to how much time we spent on our TJ before upgrading.. I can't say that we'll end up with an official overland JK.. but we are still in the planing stages. It will prob end up being more of a "OverRoad" JK with an occasional off road excursion.

One thing about those rotopaxs.. I asked rebel off road if the fuel pack can be retro fitted into the window slots.. they said no.. So if your assuming the rotos in these images are fuel cans.. I'd resort to the single AEV version for fuel and leave the rotos for alternate storage.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Sounds like a fun build, I'll be interested to follow along. Since you asked, I'll throw in my two cents for what they're worth. I prefer to stay as close to stock height suspension as possible, but I also get the need for more ground clearance and ability to carry loads. When and if I do a suspension lift I'll stay at around 2.5". Above that, I think you risk issues with other components. You can get 35s under there easily with flat fenders. Good luck!

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I like your plans so far and you spent some quality time on the the TJ very similar to how much time we spent on our TJ before upgrading.. I can't say that we'll end up with an official overland JK.. but we are still in the planing stages. It will prob end up being more of a "OverRoad" JK with an occasional off road excursion.

One thing about those rotopaxs.. I asked rebel off road if the fuel pack can be retro fitted into the window slots.. they said no.. So if your assuming the rotos in these images are fuel cans.. I'd resort to the single AEV version for fuel and leave the rotos for alternate storage.

So what you are saying is that the only rotopax that will fit into the windows would be the storage containters? All of the 2 Gallon size containers are the same sizes. Im not sure what you are saying though. Can you explain it some more?

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Sounds like a fun build, I'll be interested to follow along. Since you asked, I'll throw in my two cents for what they're worth. I prefer to stay as close to stock height suspension as possible, but I also get the need for more ground clearance and ability to carry loads. When and if I do a suspension lift I'll stay at around 2.5". Above that, I think you risk issues with other components. You can get 35s under there easily with flat fenders. Good luck!

As far as the tire size, 35s will be the highest this jeep should see. I dont want to go overboard with the tires. And for the lift height I have been debating on the 2.5" or the 3.5" but I do occasionally go to the offroad parks or trails and I think it may suit me good with the 3.5" lift but like the 35s the 3.5" will be the highest the jeep will get. I would like to do some overlanding out in the BFE but like the post earlier Overroading would be nice too haha. My first trip in the Jeep will be in October and it will be more Overroading than anything because it will be my Honeymoon. We plan on driving the Jeep from South Carolina to Portland, Maine. We are taking two weeks and we will stay in Maine for a week. so that will give us a few days up and back down to travel and sight see. I do plan on going flat fenders and due to trying to save weight I will probably end up going with Aluminum flares but its hard for me to price them right now.

A

AngryRedBird

So what you are saying is that the only rotopax that will fit into the windows would be the storage containters? All of the 2 Gallon size containers are the same sizes. Im not sure what you are saying though. Can you explain it some more?
Here's how it was explain to me via rebel off road.. the creators of the window filament for the rotos'. I submitted a question to rebel offroad asking if their window filament could hold and properly secure a fuel filled rotopax.. They responded in say that these cut outs/window filaments where designed for storage and not designed to withstand the weight of a fuel filled rotopax.. Sure looks cool and all.. but it was designed with limitations.. Unless they updated/strengthened this design since we last spoke 4 months ago.

Reference: http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/roe-jk-wr.htm

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Here's how it was explain to me via rebel off road.. the creators of the window filament for the rotos'. I submitted a question to rebel offroad asking if their window filament could hold and properly secure a fuel filled rotopax.. They responded in say that these cut outs/window filaments where designed for storage and not designed to withstand the weight of a fuel filled rotopax.. Sure looks cool and all.. but it was designed with limitations.. Unless they updated/strengthened this design since we last spoke 4 months ago.

Reference: http://www.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/roe-jk-wr.htm

I am on the same page as you now. and that does make sense when seeing the design. I will be using them mostly for storage. I was thinking about that fuel caddy from AEV. that would work pretty well.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
What gear ratio do you have? Sounds like a great honeymoon!

3.73 gears right now. I know eventually I will need to change them. I was thinking something around a 4.88 gear? I havent ever had to change gears so Im not sure what I would need in that area.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer

Just so know since you want to keep your vehicle as close to stock suspension height, you can fit 35s with flat fenders with the Rock Krawler 1.5 lift.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Just so know since you want to keep your vehicle as close to stock suspension height, you can fit 35s with flat fenders with the Rock Krawler 1.5 lift.

I realize I can fit 35's with the 1.5" springs. But I keep looking and I like the fact that I will still get more ground clearance with the 3.5" I dont plan on going flat fenders just yet or even cutting my fenders. And the load I plan on carrying will most likely lower the jeep when Im fully packed up. But after seeing what a 3.5" lift and 35's can clear I am leaning heavily that way. I understand LCOG and I believe the 3.5" lift will be just right for my build. On my previous Jeep I had Poison Spyder Customs body armor all the way around and it added a tremendous amount of weight to the jeep but I will still have armor but I will be looking towards aluminum armor or a mixture of steel and aluminum. I just like the extra security of the armor and I got real used to that armor on my TJ.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
The lift does not add to your ground clearance, as your axles and differentials remain in the same place. The way to increase ground clearance is through larger tires. The lift could improve your approach and departure angles, but that's another issue.

The ability to carry a greater load without sagging is why I would consider a 2-1/2" lift. For overlanding, I just don't think it's necessary to put the additional stress on my components. But if you're planning to do some rock crawling too, well then that's another story.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
The lift does not add to your ground clearance, as your axles and differentials remain in the same place. The way to increase ground clearance is through larger tires. The lift could improve your approach and departure angles, but that's another issue.

The ability to carry a greater load without sagging is why I would consider a 2-1/2" lift. For overlanding, I just don't think it's necessary to put the additional stress on my components. But if you're planning to do some rock crawling too, well then that's another story.

The lift will add extra clearance in my case because when I took the jeep to URE I high centered on one section of the trail and if I were to get this lift I wouldnt have high centered. I do plan on doing some trailriding/rock crawling but nothing insane.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer

After some thought I am going to go with the 2.5" Rock Krawler mid arm lift. I dont really plan on doing very much rock crawling so that should be best. I appreciate the opinions about it. I'll be ordering it this friday along with the shocks, and 35" tires. I am still deciding on the tires. Any thoughts? Or even ones to just steer clear from...

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
When swapping out wheels would you recommend keeping the Tire Pressure sensor or not? will the light stay on all the time if I dont use them? if I keep the sensors what would i need to reuse them?

Reason why I am asking is because I have never messed with these...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior