Yeti vs. compressor fridge...

Camp JP

So I am in the early stages of planning a camper build. My current camper has the Dometic 3 way which works fine for what it is, but my major gripe is re-leveling when I get parked for the night. So I had originally planned on a compressor fridge for my next camper, and that would require a good solar system to be practical. These add a major fiscal note to a build.

Given the recent developments in high tech coolers, I was thinking about just getting a tray for a cooler and pre-wire for solar. I figured if I hated it, I could always add the solar and a Webasto cooler size fridge in the future.

I should mention that we are rarely away from civilization for more than 2-3 nights at a time, so getting ice refills probably not a major issue.

Or just bite the $2k bullet now and get the compressor stand-up fridge initially???

bill harr

Adventurer
I love my compressor fridge. I did a shell build so only the solar was extra over the 3 way. I had an old (2002) 3 way so leveling and getting to cold and flame going out were all problems.

EDIT: A Yeti is a nice ice chest but still an ice chest. At home would you have an ice chest or a refer? Why deal with ice and wet items? I also love having ice cream in the freezer of my compressor fridge. Solar has really dropped in price.

Last edited:
A decent sized Yeti may not fit through the rear door of most pop-ups so make sure you factor in the size and hassle of taking it in through a side window.

Arclight

SAR guy
The cost has come way down on this. A 51 liter Truckfridge can be had for about $600, and you only need around 100W to keep it running. This system can be built for under $300 these days if you shop around carefully. Or go without if you start your truck every day.

Arclight

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I've had a Yeti for a few years now and I totally don't think they're worth it.

Well maybe if you use coolers a lot, don't have easy access to electric, and put them through spectacular abuse - it's super durable but also super heavy and I don't think the insulation is really so amazing.

No way are you going to get a week out of some ice. I make block ice in big tupperware containers in the freezer a few days before leaving, pre-cool the cooler before loading, and those blocks are gone after a few days of road trip.

This was a gift, which was really nice, but if I had no cooler and was shopping for one I'd go for a $50 well insulated regular one and get a few years out of it at least.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I have a small Yeti in the cab of my truck and a compressor fridge plus solar in my FWC eagle. I freeze blue ice in my fridge and use it in my Yeti for cold drinks, etc., that I don't want to use space in my fridge for.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I love my compressor fridge. No more soggy sandwiches. No more wondering why the water is milky. However its still fairly small. More than a long weekend and I'll still carry a cooler. Put the beer and such in the cooler while the condiments and stuff you don't want wet go in the fridge.

subterran

Adventurer
My opinion is - go with a compressor fridge. As mentioned already, you can go with or without solar, even add it on later. My rig has a 40 liter compressor fridge. It's small, but you'd be surprised at what we can fit in there. I used mine without solar for about the first year on an 80 amp hour battery. If it's less than 75 outside, I can go about 2.5 to 3 days without having to charge. If it's over 85 it goes down to about 1.5 days, as the compressor runs that much more. I added solar, and have been rolling for about a year with that, and it's very nice. I have not pugged in my truck all year to charge.

I also have a Yeti. Just got it for christmas, so we have only used it a little and in cold weather. I wouldnt want to do that as my sole source of cooling.

I think life is ever so much easier with a fridge. Mine was less than $500 shipped (Norcold 0040).

Good luch, whichever way you go!

Camp JP

Thanks all - its probably a false economy to try and go cheap in this area so I'll probably just go ahead with the compressor fridge now - maybe try to find a way to squeeze a few bucks somewhere else. Appreciate the feedback!

SoCal Tom

Explorer
I bought a used Waeco CF35 on CL. I've had it a year, and I love it as well. It carries as much stuff, or more than a 50qt cooler ( minus all the ice). Before I would put my food in a cooler, and most everything that was in it had to get tossed when I got back. Either the food got wet, or I wasn't really sure that the temp of the food was, or the packaging made it unappetizing. With the Frig, all the food looks just like it was in the frig at home. Everything gets saved. I still use a cooler for drinks, but as space clears in the frig, I move some of the drinks there, so even when the drink cooler finally runs out of ice, I still have cold drinks. Its one of my favorite additions ( and don't forget when the frig at home is full, or you need to chill some drinks for a special occasion, you can plug in the frig and have some extra space)
Tom

dddonkey

Adventurer
I have a truck fridge 41qt and love it. I leave it plugged in all the time for a beer fridge at home and a second fridge when I go camping. I even had my camper fridge go out last year and we just used the truck fridge for our 3 day trip. It worked great for a family 5, I put the drinks and condiments in an old style cooler that weekend. I also use the truck fridge on day trips to the mountains.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
A Yeti is still an ice box, no matter how great. If you do short weekend trips and don't mind putting everything in zip loc bags it should be fine.

I camped for 4-5 weeks last summer in triple digit temps with a cooler and it became hell for us.

We paid for very expensive ice every other day, packed everything in zip loc bags, and still had a lot of water logged food with questionable temperature. With 110+ temps on the white rim trail, we were actually cut short. We had 3 night planned. All of our ice melted after 1 night, everything was water logged and warm. Sure when we leave home we can freeze big blocks of water and it lasts better but you can't do that on the road. So it just depends on your use.

Our FWC will have a compressor fridge and solar to support it..

kpredator

Adventurer
We pulled out a three way fridge out of our popup and replaced with a 65 dometic
Working out great ,runs off second battery.

Have two engel coolers and they are fine,but if you open up often for drinks
Ice doesn't last long

Jm2c

Kp

WahooJeep

Observer
I've got an ARB Fridge in my JK (camping/expo rig) & a Pelican in my LJ (crawler). I rarely get a whole weekend of ice out of the cooler (teenage sons open it way too often). The ARB Fridge is great, and I really appreciate the versatility of it. I only have the cooler because the LJ spends a lot of time flopped or rolled.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I've been using coolers in the desert southwest for three decades. Truck camping and rivers. I've been able to hold ice for up to 10 days if I'm really being a weenie. Prime principal being block ice only (the real stuff, not the pressed loose ice blocks). It can be hard to find but it's worth sourcing locally if you can. I never have soggy food and I use a fridge fan for air circulation. Pain old Igloos and Colemans lined with the aluminum bubble tape. Keep it out of the sun, drape it with a sheet if needed, don't drain the water. The eutectic capacity of melted ice cannot be overstated. I keep the bottom lined with beer at all times, keeping everything dry. I also keep the ice out of the water as ice in contact with water accelerates melting. In fact I built a wire basket that the ice goes into, keeping it out of the water.

I also have two camping fridges, one a compressor and one a free piston stirling unit that Coleman rebadged and sold a few years back. Too much noise and I hate worrying about battery capacity. I've been toying with the idea of using the stirling unit to build a custom block ice maker for longer trips. Do a freezing cycle for a day when needed to keep the noise level down, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne