Snorkels, OBA & a shocking story

outofrshell

Adventurer
It has been 3 weeks since Wyoming's bird season ended and being retired cabin fever doesn't take long to set in. So it was time to do a few keep yourself busy projects on the Trooper. First was to finish the snorkel I started last summer.
This is as far as I got last year

This is what I had in mind,this was done with 3" exhaust pipe- lots of trial and mostly errors to get it twisted and bent to follow the windshield post

Next was an onboard air system, the tanks were given to me 2 years ago by a contractor that wore out the compressor. The tank cap. is about 4 gallons and is secured by a piece of 1" square tubing across the pipes that marry the 2 tanks and then bolted to a floor cross member using 5/16" Nutserts. For right now the tanks need to be filled either from the shop comp. or my 12V portable comp. there is a schader valve behind the quick coupler that I can clip my tire chuck to.Plan is to some time mount a comp. and hard wire it in with a pressure switch

The tanks are right behind this spot under the floor

And finally the shocking story, I made a set of bottom shock eye guards about 5 years ago but was never real happy with them because they ended up being the lowest point on the rear axle.I set out to build a better guard that would move the shock mount up higher and make it a thru bolt style instead of a stud plus add protection for the U bolt ends.

Dave

jpat30

Adventurer
The snorkel looks great, did you bend the pipe yourself or was it done by a muffler shop and when you get a moment can you post up a pic or two of how the snorkel hooks up under the hood? Thanks.

outofrshell

Adventurer
That water crossing came close to being a disaster so yeah it got the ball rolling and we will be doing it again this year.
The pipe is 3" exhaust pipe with multiple miter cuts except for the last bend which I had a muffler shop do in a short piece of pipe then spliced it close to the top. A few decent welds and lots of Bondo and it looked pretty good. Here is a couple of pictures of under the hood and cowling

This little bracket is what made it doable, it keeps the flex pipe from getting against the wiper linkage.

fisher205

Explorer
That water crossing was a great photo opportunity. let me know when you get together. I can leave my liberty behind again so it can stay looking good for the mall. Good photo for your build.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I need to do some underhood intake air plumbing.

What are good sources for heavy duty, 3" diameter flexible rubber hose/tubing?

outofrshell

Adventurer
The 3" going thru the cowl is a Specter hose kit from O'Rileys and the flex hose coming off the air cleaner is the original hose with the end cut off to fit into the collar supplied with the hose kit. I think Spectra makes a whole range of fittings for 3" air intake. Dave

NMC_EXP

Explorer
The 3" going thru the cowl is a Specter hose kit from O'Rileys and the flex hose coming off the air cleaner is the original hose with the end cut off to fit into the collar supplied with the hose kit. I think Spectra makes a whole range of fittings for 3" air intake. Dave

Thanks Dave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior