Why are water tanks horziontal?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Looking into water tank placement and I have more room for a vertical tank , say 16" diameter by 28" tall than a typical RV water tankthat's 32"x12"x12". I've tried looking into slosh and stuff but haven't found anything conclusive. So, WHY are water tanks horizontal? My thinking is that it makes them easier to package under furniture or under the floor of typical RVs vs taking up closet space, etc.
Is there a GOOD reason not to have a vertical tank?

mm58

Observer
Just thinking out loud here, but a vertically oriented tank would be subjected to more G-induced stresses and need more robust mounting hardware to keep it in place. Also there is the higher center-of-gravity, as well as the higher PSI floor loading. Those things may or may not be an issue with your particular setup. Like I said, just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Not being argumentative, just stating facts. I hadn't thought of floor loading.
...the higher PSI floor loading...
20 gallon rectangular tank I linked to, figures differ from tank to tank, bottom area of 384 sq inches, 20 gallons of water weighs ~160 lbs ground pressure of 160/384= .42 PSI
20 gallon vertical cylindrical tank I linked to, bottom area of 201 sq in, 20 gallons of water ~160 lbs
ground pressure of 160/201 = .79 PSI

link30204

Observer
Vertical tanks are common in the carpet cleaning industry, but those rigs dont go offroad sans the occasional treacherous dirt driveway. In my van I use a 55 gallon drum. bolted to the floor and strapped to the wall and cage of the van.

If doing this off road you have to worry about a higher center of gravity, secure mounting as moving water creates a lot of leverage.

In my case I carry 240 pounds standing rather then laying down keep that in mind if you go that route. If driving service roads I cant see why it couldnt be a viable option, but anything more extreme you would be better served with a lower profile tank.

hitek79

Explorer
I have my tanks mounted vertically and have had no issues.

i-4hTzgSd-X2.jpg

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I bought my watertanks from http://www.watertanks.com/rv_tanks.html. They come as a "blank canvas", so you can mount them any way you want after you find one with the dimentions you want. You then fill out a form with a diagram to show exactly where you want your fittings.

I hope this helps!

derjack

Adventurer
my 2 ct:

Of course a horizontal tank is easier to mount (below the vehicle) and has a lower center of gravity and I, personally, will choose a horizontal one.
BUT there are some good arguments for a vertical one:
- like an oil catch tank, you have the positive effect of a smaller ground surface, which makes is easy for a pump to always suck, even when the tank is almost empty. This can be critical for some pumps.
- if you want to gear the water, the smaller ground surface is a huge benefit, as well!

derjack

Adventurer
Ya lost me. How does one "gear the water"?
This was auto spell correction
It should have said: if you want to heat!

But anyhow: I have once seen a build that used a under floor tank and a refill input at the side of the car.
Measuring the amount of water going IN and OUT was done by an water measure instrument as it is used at home. Of course with a cracked oak think - I don't know the English translation fot that. The clocks are calibrated from default and therefore don't allow to use the opposite way of letting the clock count anti clockwise.

p1010053_187.jpg

Last edited:

anickode

Adventurer
Most rvs have the water tanks mounted beneath the floor or under a seating area. That probably has something to do with it.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I would think the main reason to mount horizontally instead of vertically is keep the CG of the tank as low as possible. You would also mount the tank as low as possible in the camper or trailer.

rayra

Expedition Leader
seconding the center of gravity issue, particularly for an 'expedition' / off-road vehicle. MWCs notwithstanding, since they are 'add-on' and not 'built-in' as a larger capacity semi-permanent tank.

flat tanks can also be squirreled away more places, particularly under floors, between frame rails, under boat seats etc.

USPlastics.com also has a wide variety of tank designs and capacities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior