Nissan Xterra Discontinued in U.S.

Maddmatt

Explorer
yeah, not unexpected, but still a bummer. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my 2010 SE - but I'm kind of thinking I might trade it on a 2015 Pro-4X - just to be 5 years newer.....

tarditi

Explorer
Nissan has not marketed the Xterra in a long time - look at their "lineup" shots on their car ads and the Xterra was almost always absent.

A shame, really - good platform.

tarditi

Explorer
I'm sure you'll get a great deal - the Pro-4x is an excellent package. I was a hair's breadth from pulling the trigger myself, but decided on a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in a couple months.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sad but maybe like the Chevy Colorado it will come back after a few years break. If gas prices keep dropping and some new technology comes out that improves emissions and fuel economy maybe it will. Sad how all the trucks are being replaced with cars and everybody is labeling cars as the SUV's. I hate the new CUV term just wanna punch some city snob in the face. I almost think Nissan may be in crisis in the future the company really banked on the Nissan Leaf to turn the company profit and I don't see any of them on my commutes. That minivan called a Pathfinder should NOT have been called Pathfinder. The company has been on the decline for me for a long time I don't feel they have turned great products since the D21 series.

Lots of Nissans around here where the homes don't sell for much less than 800K and your typical middle of the road two story house sells for over 1mill. We have about 9 Leaf's, 3 of those little all Electric Fiat 500's and last count we have 6 Teslas all in our housing area which according to Next door is just over 300 homes.

I think crash standards and fuel economy standards kill the really capable SUV type vehicle today. I think I see one Xterra in our area driven by a HS kid. Lots of the new 4dr jeeps when they first came out but those seem to be fading away the fad is gone. Lots of folks around here are the latest fad types regarding vehicles. My home with a 2001 VW and a 07 Sequoia and a Subaru tends to be the exception not the norm. We also like to buy used if we can find a good clean private sale example of the vehicle we want. Not really the case for alot of people around here new paper plates are all the rage.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Like everyone else, Nissan is trying to strike the right balance between consumer appetite, regulatory requirements, and profitability. New models and redesigned models don't just happen overnight, so satisfying those three at any given time becomes quite the challenge as they have to plan years in advance. As someone in another forum posted, I'm glad Nissan discontinued the Xterra rather than live on as some neutered version of its former self (see: Pathfinder). No doubt we have the Juke to thank for fulfilling the crossover segment so well.

Unfortunately, regulatory requirements are beginning to significantly overrule consumer appetite. Toyota saw the costs associated with adapting the FJ to meet the upcoming regulatory requirements and, given the limited consumer appetite, decided it was more financially sound to discontinue the model. Nissan tried to soldier on a few more years with the Xterra, but the writing was certainly on the wall. As one report mentioned, Nissan has no other SUVs in development to replace the Xterra, so clearly Nissan can't see profitability in the SUV segment.

My only hope is that some of these manufacturers continue making a reasonable enough amount of legitimate SUVs destined for places with more relaxed regulatory standards, which would at least provide the option of acquiring the vehicle through private import. Although, with Land Rover finally calling an end to the Defender after 67 years of continuous production, that hope, too, is fading.

I think most likely what we will see are 4dr mid sized trucks which if done right packaged in enough different combos will offer the rugged off road ability with the full frame and big tire capability along with those who need a truck to haul stuff the range of consumers is greater than an Xterra type vehicle. I think as you pointed out the wagon style SUV other than the really big ticket price tag machines will all move to the car like unibody for improved safety and mileage. There just are not enough buyers looking for jeep like SUV's for the auto maker to justify the investment to get them compliant etc.

coastalcop

My 2014 pro-4x survived a 30 mph rear impact with minimal damage (gotta replace the tow hitch and push the bumper up 3/4 of an inch. No other damage to mine (the lady that hit me isn't so lucky) Love the truck, guess its a keeper now that they are cancelling the truck

Fargo

Adventurer
I'm really disappointed to read this. I've been waiting to see what the next X would look like. Sad to hear it won't built anymore. I wanted to get an Xterra last winter, but ended up with a used body on frame Pathfinder instead because I needed 3 row seating. I love my Pathfinder, but its looking like it could be the last Nissan I purchase. They just don't have anything that inspires me any more. This is coming from someone who has had two 240sx, one Maxima and one Pathfinder. Not to mention the 3 little Nissan pickups my dad purchased when I was growing up. I come from a long line of Nissan, but with the dimise of the Xterra, they don't make anything that I want any more. Glad I got my Pathfinder when I did. Between that and my Wrangler I think I should be set for sometime. Maybe by then NIssan will come to their senses and build a new Xterra.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm really disappointed to read this. I've been waiting to see what the next X would look like. Sad to hear it won't built anymore. I wanted to get an Xterra last winter, but ended up with a used body on frame Pathfinder instead because I needed 3 row seating. I love my Pathfinder, but its looking like it could be the last Nissan I purchase. They just don't have anything that inspires me any more. This is coming from someone who has had two 240sx, one Maxima and one Pathfinder. Not to mention the 3 little Nissan pickups my dad purchased when I was growing up. I come from a long line of Nissan, but with the dimise of the Xterra, they don't make anything that I want any more. Glad I got my Pathfinder when I did. Between that and my Wrangler I think I should be set for sometime. Maybe by then NIssan will come to their senses and build a new Xterra.

I said the same thing about Ford back in the 90's LOL my Last Ford was a 91 Ranger XLT short bed standard cab 2.9L mitsubishi V6 great truck sold it with 280,000 miles on it and got a 4runner basket case big mistake that was.

3rd row seats and SUV's is tough I sold my cherry landcruiser because the 3rd row was too cramped and just didn't work for our butts in seats need. I have a 2007 Sequoia for that now which is a far superior machine regarding butts in seats and passenger safety. Sadly its no LC though when it comes to being really good off road. If it had a rear locker the Sequoia would be perfect off road machine! Its good but lacks that last final touch to make it truly capable.

Nissan has a chance to knock the Frontier out of the park with the redesign now that they see what GM and Toyota are doing.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
My 2014 pro-4x survived a 30 mph rear impact with minimal damage (gotta replace the tow hitch and push the bumper up 3/4 of an inch. No other damage to mine (the lady that hit me isn't so lucky) Love the truck, guess its a keeper now that they are cancelling the truck

Nice! Isn't the Fronty a full boxed frame?

I got rear ended in an 04 Tacoma at about the same speed, I was at a dead stop. If I hadn't re-inforced the frame rails plus had a very stout rear bumper plus heavy duty towing hitch below that it would have buckled the frame for sure. Luckily though all I had was a few small scratches in the powder coating on the rear bumper.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Lots of Nissans around here where the homes don't sell for much less than 800K and your typical middle of the road two story house sells for over 1mill. We have about 9 Leaf's, 3 of those little all Electric Fiat 500's and last count we have 6 Teslas all in our housing area which according to Next door is just over 300 homes.

I think crash standards and fuel economy standards kill the really capable SUV type vehicle today. I think I see one Xterra in our area driven by a HS kid. Lots of the new 4dr jeeps when they first came out but those seem to be fading away the fad is gone. Lots of folks around here are the latest fad types regarding vehicles. My home with a 2001 VW and a 07 Sequoia and a Subaru tends to be the exception not the norm. We also like to buy used if we can find a good clean private sale example of the vehicle we want. Not really the case for alot of people around here new paper plates are all the rage.

All Nissan would have to do to save themselves in the SUV market is bring in the Y61/GU Patrol in 2-door, 4-door and pickup. Along with the TD42. Never happen though. Combine it with some good marketing, showing the history of Patrols plus what they do in other countries, they would sell a lot of them. It would be the latest fad to have an Aussie style Patrol.

Sadly, I think playing the lottery is a better bet.

Cheers

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior