Nissan Xterra Discontinued in U.S.

libarata

Expedition Leader
All Nissan would have to do to save themselves in the SUV market is bring in the Y61/GU Patrol in 2-door, 4-door and pickup. Along with the TD42. Never happen though. Combine it with some good marketing, showing the history of Patrols plus what they do in other countries, they would sell a lot of them. It would be the latest fad to have an Aussie style Patrol.

Sadly, I think playing the lottery is a better bet.

Cheers

Cheers

If there were millions of prospective customers, perhaps. How many active folks are on this board? That is their perspective base. What is in style, and is selling right now, are itty bitty fuel sippers, not 4x4 utility vehicle.

702krawler

Adventurer
What is selling right now are minivans and station wagons that don't look like either one, aka "crossovers".

The market for real off road capability can apparently only support one contestant at this point.

libarata

Expedition Leader
What is selling right now are minivans and station wagons that don't look like either one, aka "crossovers".

The market for real off road capability can apparently only support one contestant at this point.

Jeep Wrangler, and Toyota Tacoma. Other than those two, people look at you like a retarded fish out of water for having. you have a few cruiser, or rover fans putzing about, but meh. There will always be at least one, and when they legislate us into a third world dump, I am sure we will find a few crappy build quality things being produced for us.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
If there were millions of prospective customers, perhaps. How many active folks are on this board? That is their perspective base. What is in style, and is selling right now, are itty bitty fuel sippers, not 4x4 utility vehicle.

So Nissan is basically getting out of the SUV game. They got the Y62 Patrol as the QXwhatever but that is not much different than other bling bling IFS & IRS trucks. To me those are just big Subaru's. I don't even know, is the Pathfinder still being produced? I do know it went IRS awhile back.

Jeeps sell pretty well these days. Nissan and Toyota should take note. It is a dead horse to flog but now seems like a good time to bring in the SFA Y61 Patrols. Sure they wouldn't sell tons of them but I am sure it would be a lot more than 2,000 a year. And I think they could easily turn a profit on them. It would be a lot about marketing, with the right marketing strategy I am sure they would sell alright. It would have to be about image a lot. Just look at how this forum and ExPo + Overland Journal has exploded in the last 5yrs. People are traveling a lot more than they were 10yrs ago, meaning more people know what the Patrol is. Market the Y61 as an adventure truck, show off all the Aussie stuff about them for years and years as well as their uses and reputation around the world in the marketing scheme....well, I am willing to bet there would be plenty of SFA Y61's sitting in suburban neighborhoods across the USA.

That is just my opinion of course which does happen to be Patrol bias.

Cheers

haven

Expedition Leader
Nissan could build a new SUV using the next generation Frontier chassis, due in a year or two. But the projected sales numbers don't justify the expense. Nissan sold only 16,000 XTerras in 2014.

The Fwd/AWD Rogue compact crossover has been a hit for Nissan. USA sales topped 200,000 units in 2014. The Rogue, the X-Trail and the Qashqui share the same platform in international markets. The Rogue offers more interior space and better fuel economy than the XTerra, at a lower price.

docwatson

Adventurer
I would love to see a rugged rogue.

My wife and I just bought a Rogue. Nice vehicle. A more rugged version would something other then the CVT currently offered. The AWD system is great and it comes standard with a center diff lock and hill descent control.

Me thinks a revised front end (to shorten the overhang) and six speed would make it a pretty potent vehicle. No Xterra but certainly some competition for the Cherokee/Forester.

onemanarmy

Explorer
So few places to actually use 4wd and aggressive tires in America these days. And who really ever uses 4 lo ever as a percentage of the driving population? Just isn't demand.

Bummed as well.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So few places to actually use 4wd and aggressive tires in America these days. And who really ever uses 4 lo ever as a percentage of the driving population? Just isn't demand.

Bummed as well.

I don't know, I think there is lot's of places left where low and MTs are used/useful. Maybe that is because I live in Wyoming though!?

Ya know when the Patrols were sold in the USA, 50yrs ago, Nissan had dealerships way out in the boonies. In the 1960s there was at least 2-3 dealerships in Wyoming that sold Patrols. I would say half of the units sold were sold in the boonies.

Few reasons why they have sold so well in Australia the last 50yrs. It is a fairly rural country. No big three for trucks.

Cheers

colodak

Adventurer
There has been mentions of a diesel in the next gen Frontier, too bad they couldn't keep the X around a little longer and put the same in it, that would bump the epa numbers

JasonJLamb

Observer
Well, we were hearing for years that the Honda Ridgeline would be discontinued, and not only did it stick around for a few more years, we're about to see the next generation debut. Same for Titan.

Who knows, maybe all this diesel talk will pan out and it's the Xterra's savior.

One can hope...

fcs-04

Happy I picked up a new one in November. Maybe they will import the patrol or d40....
a03d5ebe5b58f47a6d813531f89a05f4.jpg

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
This is indeed sad news :( I wanted one for so long and now that I finally have skin in the game it's so sad. It's a great vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke