Looking to buy a suburban, should I get 3/4 ton?

fishon1213

Observer
Hello all, so I am looking to buy a suburban for a family vehicle. I dont really need an off road beast or anything but we do live in the midwest so 4x4 is preferred. We currently have an '86 suburban and a '98 montero. Our current suburban is just an old beater but works for the time being, its 9 passenger and has a heater, lol. The montero is 7 passenger but still just not enough room for a family of 8. I have decided that I would like a late 90's, I like the body style and the tbi motors. I also like the 9 passenger models with cargo doors as opposed to the gate. In my searches I have found these two options much easier to find in 3/4 ton models. Now I don't really need a 3/4 ton for towing purposes, but fuel mileage is not a huge concern, as long as I can get 10-14 I am satisfied. I don't really want a diesel, I cant justify the initial cost and maintenance cost.
So a few questions about the 3/4 tons...

How does the fuel mileage really compare between the 350 vs 454?
I have heard the 4l80e is pretty stout compared to the 4l60e, opinions?
Any common issues I should be looking for when checking out a 97-99 suburban?

SlowJoe

To answer the title question in one word.... YES!

I havent owned one in the year range you mention with a 454 but I am pretty sure it will get between 10-14 mpg. The 4L60's are not nearly as heavy duty as the 80's are. This is fine if you use it for light duty as it is intended, but having something that's over-engineered is a good thing when it comes to reliability in the long run. It will last longer in general and when you do decide to hook something to it, you do not have to worry. They put the 4L80's in all sorts of heavier vehicles than the suburban, so it will last well in the suburbans. The 3/4 tons come with better brakes, suspension, heavier axles etc, etc. There are also plenty of 3/4 ton's that came with the 350's also, so that would help a bit with the fuel mileage issue. Good luck in your search!

mike the welder

Adventurer
The late 90's don't have a TBI engine, they have the Vortec. Yes if you can find a 3/4 ton you should buy it. In Texas it's hard to find a 3/4 ton that doesn't have 300k on it. I have a 99 1/2 ton and it does fine, but every time I tow something I want more. I get 15-18 with the 5.7 if I keep my foot out of it. I would gladly give up a few mpg's to have more power. GM does make a 383 crate engine that is a direct swap for the 5.7, but it's over $4000. I may still do it when it come time to rebuild the engine.

Good luck

ClubWagon

Observer
Mines a 97 GMC suburban K1500. We bought it 4 years ago to keep up with our growing family. I'm glad that I bought the one that had the front bench seat since we are now a family of nine now. Those seem to be rather rare. When we bought it it had around 125k now it's at 145k. Around town it's usually in the 12-13 mpg range and on trips around 18-19. I don't do any towing so for me it's got plenty of power and decent mpgs for something that can haul seven kids and all there stuff! The only real mechanical issue I've had was the intake manifold gasket leaking. It was a cheap fix the worst part is how much time it takes. Other than that it's just been regular maintenance.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
We have a 97 2500 with the 454 in the family, and the thing is pretty reliable. I think we lost the tranny at about 100k, but that could have been prior owner neglect. Other than that, the thing keeps ticking. Gas mileage sucks, but that's to be expected. We get around 9ish around town, and no other problems to note.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
If you don't need a 3/4t don't get it. If you want good mileage and power go with at half ton newer body style with an LS engine. Our 2001 Denali XL 6.0L got 18-20 MPG and run awesome. It got better MPG than my 5.3L ext cab Z-71 and it would run circles around it. I have been toying around with the same idea as I need a 3/4T for towing my camper. Subs are way cheaper than trucks with the same drive line around here.

snowblind

Adventurer
I don't know the exact specs for the pre-2000 models but with 2000-2006 here are some differences.

Beefier Frame
Stiffer Torsion Bars and Rear Leafs
Wider Front Track
Bigger Brakes with Hydroboost
Considerably stronger transmission
Leaf Sprung 14bolt rear axle - 1/2 ton are coil-sprung
HD Alternator
Trans cooler and PS cooler
6.0 or 8.1 engine

From what I've seen online 13-15mpg is "average" for the 1/2 ton Suburbans and the 6.0 isn't much worse. 10-13mpg is "average" for the 8.1. I get 11mpg in mixed driving with my 2001 8.1.

Matt

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
If you have a big family then defiantly go with the 3/4 ton. If you are 2 people and driving around with the wife's hat collection a half ton will be fine...:ylsmoke:

Oobray

Adventurer
I looked for months to find my yukon XL with 8.1 v8. This motor is absolutely AMAZING!! Fuel mileage isn't great. I get between 9-11 mpg. Doesn't seem to matter towing, highway, city. It tows my 4,400 Fleetwood E3 pop up camper very well and absolutely swallows gear and people. We have the captains seats in the second row. Sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't. I think it's probably a better overall layout for a family though. What you give up in that one extra seat is really made up for in the ease of access to the back. Two weeks ago I took my daughter (7) with my buddy and his two daughters (3 and 1) camping. So with three car seats, two in captians, one in the rear, it was really nice having the captains to be able to access the backseat to buckle her up. Oh, and we managed to fit all our stuff, plus my 80 pound Belgian Malinois and all his stuff. I've never owned an SUV until this one (always pick ups) and I'm pretty sure I'm never going back. LOVE THIS THING!!!!

fishon1213

Observer
Thank you all for the advice. I think I have settled on a 97-99 3/4 ton 4x4. I dont care for the denalis because they are awd, and I dont like anything bigger that 16's for any reason. I also want a pre-2000. I want something I can just pay cash for as this is a vehicle that will get used once or twice a week, hence mpg NOT is a big factor. I mean how often do you really take a family of eight out all together, its a logistical nightmare, lol. Another thing I have found is that the 3/4 tons seem to mostly have a lever shift tcase and the 1/2 tons have push button, is this true? I much prefer the lever shift.

Last edited:

hulk81

They switched in 1996 to the vortec engines. I have cclb 4x4 dually 454 with 4.10 gears and average 10mpg with it. i personally like the vortec motors better than the old tbi motors but thats just me. if you want a tbi motor i would avoid a 95, it was a switch year and a lot of the dash stuff and some of the trans stuff (like input shaft but that might only be on the manual trucks) is one year only witch makes junkyard stuff harder to find and the parts cost more.

fishon1213

Observer
Ok, thank you.

Well my 86 suburban has had an oil leak that got considerably worse last night. I am pretty sure the rear main seal let loose. Any advice on how hard that is to fix? I have to pull the trans right?

I guess the pressure is on to find a newer/better suburban now.

SlowJoe

They are not hard to fix, but the transmission has to come out to do it so far as I know, because that should be the one piece seal... Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz