Rhino Rack / Air intake

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi all
Have just fitted the new (well at least in Australia new) tradie rack by Rhino Rack (no affil)
Fitting system is a little messy but solid. I do like how the legs use the existing bolt holes in the roof. I not 100% happy with their attachment to cross bar. Question should I be too worried about it sitting in front of the air intake?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Cheers
Steve

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
When we did ours the Donaldson manual said to have the intake ~300mm higher than the roof of the cab, I'm thinking its something to do with a vacuum forming close to the roof?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It's nice to see that a commercial company is making a rack for the Fuso, but the concern I have with this rack is the height it sits above the roof. It's pretty high.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Thanks Owen and Leisha
Another question please to do with air intake. What is the purpose of the plastic lungs (best way to describe shape) see photo as looking into the pipe I see no forced airflow into them?
Thank you
Steve
image.jpg

Last edited:

Amesz00

Adventurer
Hi Steve,
I would raise the intake above the rack, though it will be more vulnerable to trees..
The lungs are afaik for silencing the intake whistle. Why anyone would want that is beyond me..

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Re height
The rack could have been lowered 25mm if it was a little wider and able to bolt directly to the legs. But instead it sits on a cross member. This cross member is quite Low.
image.jpg

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hi Andrew
Also makes sense. If I remember your Amesz has a full stainless steel air intake down to the filter box. So you must have done away with the silencer. Did you have any difficultly joining the tube to the rubber that separates when the cabin is tilted?

Amesz00

Adventurer
Hi Andrew
Also makes sense. If I remember your Amesz has a full stainless steel air intake down to the filter box. So you must have done away with the silencer. Did you have any difficultly joining the tube to the rubber that separates when the cabin is tilted?

Steve,
The tubing is 4" Ali intake tube. Very thin, probly only 1.6 wall.. could be bit heavier for my liking but haven't had any dramas with it yet.
The crew cabs don't tilt so no need for a slip joint or anything. I did replace the entire airbox with a 4" donaldson unit, though I think the housing isn't produced anymore.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Steve,
The tubing is 4" Ali intake tube. Very thin, probly only 1.6 wall.. could be bit heavier for my liking but haven't had any dramas with it yet.
The crew cabs don't tilt so no need for a slip joint or anything. I did replace the entire airbox with a 4" donaldson unit, though I think the housing isn't produced anymore.

Thanks Andrew, sounds a cool setup.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Also made this find when I removed the snorkel from the air intake, certainly a good reminder about regular maintenance.
The mud wasp nest has now been evicted!
image.jpg

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi,
Our air ram is approx 150mm above the roof line any higher for us and it would get taken off from trees .

Steve on a side note i had a look at your web site and went wow i grew up at Kenmore and Brookfield for 35 years mum and dad still live at there.
I see see sum of your photos are taken at Gold Creek dam . A good friend of the family knows most of the history of the dam.

Great looking truck by the way.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Hey Pete and Kel,
We are getting the top section of the air intake pipe extended by 200mm, which will take the snorkel to just above the line of the rack. A muffler shop is making this up for us, as it is really just 3" muffer pipe with a bracket on it.
Yes it will be a bit more vulnerable, but we will just have to give it a bit of protection.
Maybe later on we might modify to a straight through system to give better performance as suggested by Andrew, but not something to try out before a major trip.
Thanks for your input guys

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Picked up the new air intake pipe today and painted it. Ready to install tomorrow. :wings:
image.jpg
Here is it pictured beside the old one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior