Baofeng

dubboy2707

Hello all

Looking for some help

I am looking at purchasing a small radio for everyday use and looking at Baofeng. Does anyone know what the difference between a Baofeng UV-5R and UV-5RC is?

From what I can see and tell it is just cosmetic.

All help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm far from the expert (check http://miklor.com/ and a few other places for more info), but with the usual nomenclature, the -C models mean that they're "commercial" rated (FCC Part 90 approved). Usually there are some small tweaks to the firmware that let them pass FCC part 90. On the UV-82C, I know the change was to make it so you can lock it into channel mode, as this prevents an unlicensed operator from using it in frequency mode. Stuff like that.

Speaking of the UV-82, if you're looking at the Baofeng radios, that one is worth a look also. I prefer the 82 for the build quality (a bit heavier duty, better buttons), while remaining very affordable. The only quibble about the 82 is changing from Channel to Frequency mode and back requires it be powered off and back on (holding a button while you do it). Otherwise, it's just as easy/hard to program as the UV-5R.

For either one, definitely get the programming cable and invest a little time in learning to use CHiRP or the like.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
Cosmetic and newer firmware.
The radio itself already carries a Part 90 cert... or at least it is noted as such on the inside of my UV-5R+ (x2).

summerprophet

Adventurer
Does anyone know what the difference between a Baofeng UV-5R and UV-5RC is?

Typically, the differences between the standard 5R and the numerous variants is fairly minor. Usually firmware or visual changes.

The reason I would stick with the regular 5r is the heap loads of available support, and numerous available accessories.

I know some of the variants won't fit extended batteries or 12 volt adapters, or may require trimming plastic to fit the hand mike.

Also, all the online help references the original 5r.

dubboy2707

Thanks for your help guy think I will be getting the 5 r due the the accessories and online support. Mainly be used mobile so will look at getting a antenna on the roof of my vehicle for the best performance. Thanks again for your replys and help

odomandr

Observer
I'd get the one that has 8 watts of power, I recently ordered a uv5r+v2 glad I got it over the uv5r. Has a metal speaker grill instead of plastic. With baofeng changing to anytone I am considering grabbing an 8 watt as well before they are lol gone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles