Possible loose axle on newer FGs

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Hopefully, it was just my new FG- but, thought it might be something for the newer FG owners to look at.

When I got my 2015, it was delivered to me from the Canter Port Facility in California. I was told that all the recalls and pre-delivery inspections would be done before delivery. Well, none of the recalls were done and I also found that the axle was not firmly attached.

The steering wheel was a about 15 degrees off to the left. When I had it serviced, they centered the wheel. Took my wife out to practice with the new beast in a mostly empty parking lot. When making a hard right turn, right up against the stops, we heard a loud enough, dull pop. We were able to recreate the noise two more times, before I realized that the steering wheel was now 15 degrees off to the right. Just out of curiosity, I did a hard turn to the left and the wheel wound up back at a 15 degrees off to the left. Back to the shop and they found that the axle mounts were loose. So now they are tightened and I have an alignment scheduled for when I get back to the US.

I drove for almost 200 miles before finding this problem out. During that time there were no suspicious sounds, vibrations (at least for an FG) or pull to the left or right (when letting go of the wheel).

So I might recommend noting exactly where your steering wheel sits in neutral and then give it a hard slow turn back to neutral and see where the steering wheel ends up.

Mark

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Interesting, because my steering wheel is clocked counterclockwise, about thirty degrees. I haven't had any unusual behaviour from the front end though. Can't see any wear patterns from things moving where they shouldn't be, on the front end. But it's due for a service, and an alignment, so I'll verify. Thanks for the heads up.

yabanja

Explorer
Interesting, because my steering wheel is clocked counterclockwise, about thirty degrees. I haven't had any unusual behaviour from the front end though. Can't see any wear patterns from things moving where they shouldn't be, on the front end. But it's due for a service, and an alignment, so I'll verify. Thanks for the heads up.

Mine is the same. It was from lifting the ride height, just haven't gotten to re-centering it yet.

Allan

jomobco

Now Decanter
I picked mine up at about 1:30. Took it back and they fixed it to 12:30. I'm living with it since it tracks appropriately.

KMG

Adventurer
I made a very slow right turn at full steering and heard a "clunk". when I finished the turn my steering wheel was from straight to 1:30 position. Made a hard left and it returned to 12:00. I thought it was me! Back to the shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94