Nissan Photos - post your's

mike r

Adventurer
Yes, the rack is only rated for 250lbs by the factory, I was worried about this initially also. But after standing on my rack before purchasing the tent, I was satisfied that it would be fine for sleeping and the tent only weighs about 125lb when transporting.

The rack is extremely solid and does not flex at all, with even three people in the tent. I have had many construction/lumber racks on vehicles that were rated a higher load than this one, yet this one seems much more solid than they did.

As dangerous as it is to assume, I am confident that Nissan under-rated the load capacity for legal purposes. Even with only 250lbs on the rack, if it was involved in a collision at 55mph, there would be servel thousand lbs of lateral force the rack would absord.

I am also confident in the mounting system that it will not fail while occupying the tent (i did remove the plastic covers to verify the constuction before deciding this). And while the vehicle is in motion, the tent itself weighs less than the load rating so I should not have any issues. I routinly check for any stress cracks or other signs of fatique as I have also done with the other racks I have owned, and have not had any visible signs yet.

But I'm no engineer, so always understand the risk and use your own judgement in making these descions. :)
reason i ask is i have the same rack and had plans to modify it to fit the frontier utilitrac. i recently put it up for sale because i was worried about the weight rating.
Maybe i'll change my mind, Its better than paying 600 for the thule rack

Flip_4_It

Jeff Brown
reason i ask is i have the same rack and had plans to modify it to fit the frontier utilitrac. i recently put it up for sale because i was worried about the weight rating.
Maybe i'll change my mind, Its better than paying 600 for the thule rack

I wasn't a fan of the Thule rack myself, I liked the hiegth adjustablility, but didn't like that it took up space on the interior of the bed and the cost. I also have the annex room for my tent, so I would have to run the Thule rack at the same hiegth as the factory rack.

The big advantage on me for the factory mount was the ease of install and removal along with being able to move it foreward or back, depending on what I am hauling. I also like the factory look of it. If you decide to go for it, would love to see pictures after you're done.

mike r

Adventurer
they are just the standard pro-4x size, 265/75/16
the bumper makes them look bigger because it opens up the front where the stock bumper normally sits

gravedgr

SE Expedition Society
Our X in action...

090.jpg

091.jpg

092.jpg

093.jpg

mires

Adventurer
they are just the standard pro-4x size, 265/75/16
the bumper makes them look bigger because it opens up the front where the stock bumper normally sits

Yeah the bumper definitely makes them look bigger. It's a good looking truck. I'd love to see more pics if you have any.

R_Wakefield

These pics are making me want to get out and go four-wheelin'. My nissan doesn't quiet have enough power to go digging in the dirty and in the snow yet, but it sure is exciting.

AZ-Ted

Adventurer
It's been awhile since I've posted. Here is a picture from this year's goneMoab event. Not much new on my rig except the Xoskel rack.

Photo courtesy Sexy6chick:

P5227837-M.jpg

Mustard23

I recognize some of these names.. I just joined because this deployment checks are going to support vehiculs for the one I build on my last deployment.

here is my Nissan it started out as a prerunner/trail rig and has kind of gone more the prerunner way because well Doing 100+ acrossed the dezert is just awesome.. and the feeling you get when you are weightless when you huck it is amazing. http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1105or_2005_nissan_frontier_4wd/index.html

here are some high lights.

1105or_01_+2005_nissan_frontier_4wd+left_side_view.jpg

1105or_14_+2005_nissan_frontier_4wd+right_side_view.jpg

1105or_09_+2005_nissan_frontier_4wd+mezzanine_arms.jpg

my current tow rig is an 07 GMC 2500HD it's 2wd with a utility bed, I want to replace it with a 4wd suburban that will be more versatile as a tow and expedition rig, something I can take out run Mojave trail in as well as tow the prerunner

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODQtMjAxMTAxMDEtMTQyMy5qcGc.jpg

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
^Very cool! more explanation on the lockout hub on the rear swingarm please. great photos.

Box -
I was wondering the same thing and found this on the OR website about the truck:

"Not only do the mezzanine arms relocate shock placement, they also act as sway-bar endlinks. They pivot off Warn Dana 44 locking hubs and can be engaged or disengaged simply by locking or unlocking the hubs."

http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1105or_2005_nissan_frontier_4wd/photo_07.html#ixzz1Zs3acmFI

Pretty interesting stuff.

Mustard23

yup there is a sway bar between the 2 Mezzanine arms, I can lock it and unlock as needed. I went with the Mezzanine arms because to maintain a good motion ratio I would have had to cut the cab and put the shock inside.. also this moves more of the weight back and to the outside make it more balanced and handles better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles