Impressions and Vehicles from the United Arab Emirates

tooleysan

Over the past several years I have commuted to and worked in the UAE, both within Abu Dhabi and Dubai. I know some folks have touched on the UAE previously, but I thought I might condense my experiences for anyone who might be interested.

Vehicles:
Though you can find most anything in the region, the Lexus LX/ Toyota Land Cruiser and the Nissan Patrol are the primary off-road favorites for general use. For commercial use, the Toyota Land Cruiser Pickup is probably the single most important small vehicle and is ubiquitous on construction sites, used for deliveries, and by fan-boys who occasionally blow out their motors making them sound like a small-block V8 charging down the road. The LC Pickups are followed closely by the ever-capable Toyota Hilux.

Every once in a while you'll see a Jeep or Hummer but, while supported in the region, they are not nearly as popular as vehicles noted above. G-Wagens are somewhat popular but are primarily used at fleet vehicles for the royal families (look for single-digit license plates--they are the primary status symbol and are worth literally millions of dollars to their owners). White is the most popular color for all vehicles and anything colored blue, silver, etc. can sometimes be had at a substantial discount. Surprisingly, you do not see as many Land Rovers as you would think though I'm always happy to see a sweet new 110 parked in front of a hotel.

Vehicle Preparation: Unlike the soccer mom stars of the US or the Chelsea tractors of the UK, almost all SUVs in the emirates actually get used off-road. Important note: Very, very few vehicles are modified with giant tires or shocks--almost all are box-stock with only tires being aired down for sand travel followed by the occasional snorkel. Having done a fair share of sand travel, the above vehicles have no problem in stock configuration. Also, pintle-hooks are the trailer or tow hook-up of choice and not standard US ball-hitch.

Fuel: Both gas and diesel are equally popular and are dirt cheap. The catch: Ironically, petrol distribution in the region is somewhat limited and weeknight lines at the stations can be extremely long, especially on Sheik Zyed highway. Also, many major petrol stations have a broad selection of recovery gear and desert survival parts available next to the gatorade and snicker bars. In a region where summer temps can reach 120F with 75% humidity, you can literally die if you break down in the sticks unprepared. Always travel with water in your car in the summer, but be mindful of drinking during the Ramadan holy period--people have received tickets for violating religious rules.

Things to check out:
Multiple 'sand-bashing' tours are available. Check for the most popular/reputable when in-country. They will all pick-up at your hotel, give you an excellent dune tour (the drivers I've had are extremely competent off-road), and finish off with camel farm tours and dinner under the stars at a 'bedouin' camp.

In Abu-Dhabi: For sure check out the Emirates National Auto Museum http://www.enam.ae/index.html. It is a crazy car collection under a pyramid with a broad collection of custom and bizarre 4wd vehicles.

License Plate Nuttiness: http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2008/02/16/45734.html

This is just a quick overview, but hopefully of value to anyone going to the region.

tooleysan

ADdune.jpgAbu-Dhabi_Dune-Bashing-1024x427.jpgToyota-Land-Cruiser-PU.-Picture-courtesy-of-Toyota.jpgg63-amg-dubai.jpg9.jpg1.jpg
Any photos?

The G-Wagen is Sheik Mohammed's-- ruler of Dubai. It's probably best to scoot out of the way if you see this (or any vehicle with a license plate #99 or under) coming up in your rear view mirror.

The bottom two are part of the private collection of H.H. Sheikh Hamad Bin Hamdan Al Nahyan at the National Emirates Auto Museum. If I remember correctly, he has a background in mechanical engineering and is a fan of big (literally) 4wd systems and helped engineer a number of vehicles in the collection.

CJustin7

Adventurer
Do they still have the mall over there .... that looks like there's no roof (painted Sky) ?
We did a port stop there in .... 06 I want to say .... and did the exact tour you speak of. LOL
Small world

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior