Surly Ogre, Salsa Fargo... Input requested

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Monkey, I put a Rock Shox Sid XX World Cup fork on my Fargo Ti. Not gonna lie, I was heartbroken to lean that beautiful Fargo carbon fork up against the wall of a closet, but I sure do like the boing of the sus fork. Especially such a high-end fork. It makes the technical downhills doable. Not easily achieved rigid.

fargo.jpg

just eric

Adventurer
I got an Ogre. Picked her up today from a LBS I used to race for. Added some Schwalbe Mondials and will be picking up some Ergon G1s and platform pedals shortly. Can't wait to get the kiddo on the road.:roost:

just eric

Adventurer
So I may be a little bummed. I'm enjoying my Ogre but have made a few disappointing discoveries. First - my saddle rails are only about 4.25 inches from the top tube. Makes me feel like I should have gotten a medium for the following reasons.

1- I wanted to run a thud buster seatpost and will find it difficult with so little seatpost real estate available.
2- I wanted to add a Carradice Camper long flap pr Dill Pickle saddlebag. I have only about 7 inches of clearance between the rails and the rear tire.

My intention was to build a bike capable of extended trips and it's looking like I may have jumped the gun and purchased a really heavy MTB.

Did I screw myself? Thoughts?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
So I may be a little bummed. I'm enjoying my Ogre but have made a few disappointing discoveries. First - my saddle rails are only about 4.25 inches from the top tube. Makes me feel like I should have gotten a medium for the following reasons.
4.25 inches from the top tube, or from the top of the seat tube collar? If from the top tube, ya, that sounds like a frame that is much too big. Got any images to show us?

I'm not terribly wild about those seat bag options, but that's a different deal all together. Those things will certainly not work for anything off tarmac.

p nut

butter

1- I wanted to run a thud buster seatpost and will find it difficult with so little seatpost real estate available.
2- I wanted to add a Carradice Camper long flap pr Dill Pickle saddlebag. I have only about 7 inches of clearance between the rails and the rear tire.

My intention was to build a bike capable of extended trips and it's looking like I may have jumped the gun and purchased a really heavy MTB.

Did I screw myself? Thoughts?

Do you feel comfortable on the bike for long distances? That is priority #1 regardless of the consequences for your accessories options.

There are many other options available for cargo (assuming a lowsaddle Carridace bags won't work). Based on your more urban/occasional dirt road usage--maybe a nice front rack (Look up Cetma racks. Or Origin8 HD cargo rack, if you're money conscious) and a good old rear rack from OMM or Surly would do fine. Regarding a CC Thudbuster, I personally hated them. Heavy and really didn't do much for comfort. For your intended uses, I think you will come to the same conclusion. Get a nice Ti seat post and call it good. Comfortable saddle like WTB or Brooks would help, as well as a nice, fat rear tire.

I like the Fargo, it replaced a karate Monkey. Frame has a nice ride, doesn't flex when standing on it, but absorbs chatter. I like the stand-over clearance vs. the KM - more Mtn. bike stance & feels more nimble when on and off dirt, pavement, city hooligan.

just eric

Adventurer
An Ogre on an Ogre

Drumroll please... Enter the OGRE

IMG_2722.jpg

And then the Ogre on the Ogre!
IMG_2734.jpg IMG_2737.jpg
Everything seems to line up where it should. Just wish I had more seatpost showin'. Damn short legs. :bike_rider:

Seatpost height.
IMG_2723.jpg

And Pedals - Fyxation MPs.
IMG_2724.jpg

Thin
IMG_2725.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Just eric,
The Thudbuster (TB) that you are thinking about will have some squatting and layback when you are sitting on it. The TB unloaded will be higher but may be just right with weight on it. As noted some like TB and some don't. My partner loves the thudbuster on here Trek 970, whatever gets her out riding more is good in my book. With the Jones bars and your reach I don't see the extra cm in length of the seat layback adversely affecting your ride.

Listen to P Nut on the seat bag he is spot on.

Good looking bike!!! Post up some adventures when you get out on it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke