choosing a basic Jeep in 2015

haven

Expedition Leader
Car and Driver magazine has a series called "How We'd Spec It," in which they explore the option list for new vehicles. This week, the subject is a basic Jeep Wrangler. C/D editors chose
-- Wrangler Sport 2 Door (standard with 3.6L V6, 6 speed manual trans, 4x4 with low range)
-- Body color: Your Choice (they chose Sunset Orange)
-- Air Conditioning Bypass (no AC)
-- Half metal doors with manual locks
-- Black Steel rims and 245/75R16 tires (Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 31 inches tall)
-- Connectivity Group (Tire pressure monitor, Bluetooth, UConnect voice recognition, LCD screen for vehicle info)

MSRP for this configuration is $25,500

http://blog.caranddriver.com/how-wed-spec-it-yes-basic-jeep-wranglers-still-exist-in-2015/

What's your recommendation for a basic, inexpensive, 2015 Jeep? Or would you rather buy used?

How about a 2004-06 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ, two doors, longer wheelbase, 4.0L straight 6 engine)?

A

AngryRedBird

First Glad to see you haven and this is a loaded question.. but here it goes..

My view on this and I've stated this at several times at several other sites.. First and foremost.. if the editors have not driven a jeep wrangler full time over 10 years or more.. they don't have a clue as to what is needed ( as for the general public) or what is a desired basic jeep wrangler.. The first thing that would go is this "Electronic Convenience" group.. The Jeep is to be driven and not become a distraction from driving.. Call me Old School.. a good old fashion paper map, my sense of direction and my navigator are good enough.

Although the other components look acceptable.. there are a few more things to subtract and add after the fact.. The rear seat and carpeting has to go.. Total up these two items and have the jeep bedline from the factory.

Next and this is critical.. Mopar could put a cummins diesel in these jeeps if they really, really wanted to.. they already have the technology in the Dodge rams.. In order to add the diesel.. what would have to go and what would have to stay. I'm unsure at the Fiat CRD option..

Then there's the ascetics of the jeep.. Is it really necessary to have all that plastic molding at or near the windshield.. and what about the roll bar padding.. In the image on that site.. They show the orange jeep with the tow hooks and fog light option bumper.. Would replacing this with the no thrills bumper be any better and allow those buying to add whatever they want later.

Clearly the objective here, is to create an extreme basic jeep which could run (so I've been told) $14,000 - $17,000 Ideally.. My thought is as long as the body style says jeep.. The heart and soul should be a diesel engine, Gearing and suspension. As long as those 3 elements are intact, the rest will simply fall into place by allowing the customer to do things themselves or allow the dealer to do the addons for them.

libarata

Expedition Leader
First Glad to see you haven and this is a loaded question.. but here it goes..

My view on this and I've stated this at several times at several other sites.. First and foremost.. if the editors have not driven a jeep wrangler full time over 10 years or more.. they don't have a clue as to what is needed ( as for the general public) or what is a desired basic jeep wrangler.. The first thing that would go is this "Electronic Convenience" group.. The Jeep is to be driven and not become a distraction from driving.. Call me Old School.. a good old fashion paper map, my sense of direction and my navigator are good enough.

Although the other components look acceptable.. there are a few more things to subtract and add after the fact.. The rear seat and carpeting has to go.. Total up these two items and have the jeep bedline from the factory.

Next and this is critical.. Mopar could put a cummins diesel in these jeeps if they really, really wanted to.. they already have the technology in the Dodge rams.. In order to add the diesel.. what would have to go and what would have to stay. I'm unsure at the Fiat CRD option..

Then there's the ascetics of the jeep.. Is it really necessary to have all that plastic molding at or near the windshield.. and what about the roll bar padding.. In the image on that site.. They show the orange jeep with the tow hooks and fog light option bumper.. Would replacing this with the no thrills bumper be any better and allow those buying to add whatever they want later.

Clearly the objective here, is to create an extreme basic jeep which could run (so I've been told) $14,000 - $17,000 Ideally.. My thought is as long as the body style says jeep.. The heart and soul should be a diesel engine, Gearing and suspension. As long as those 3 elements are intact, the rest will simply fall into place by allowing the customer to do things themselves or allow the dealer to do the addons for them.

I raise your unicorn, with my Pegasus. I am pretty sure that the question was on the available options, or a used Jeep. Not whether or not Jeep ought to go, or not go diesel/nuclear powered.

The most basic jeep, as it floats on angels out of the factory is just fine! Bolt everything else on when you feel you need it.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
C&Ds choice would make a great "go to the beach vehicle".

I'd add A/C and automatic. That way anyone can drive it in comfort, and I can just go along for the ride. :)
It would also raise resale value.

A

AngryRedBird

libarata.. I did say it was a loaded question and after all, my reply was my own opinion.

libarata

Expedition Leader
"What's your recommendation for a basic, inexpensive, 2015 Jeep? Or would you rather buy used?"

Pretty straight forward. 2015 has a full list of options available. Diesel, and afterburners are not amongst them.

Justincredible

Adventurer
I'd do just what I did. Take the lowest jeep on the totem pole and add A/C and 3.73 gears... maybe the hard top too, depending where you live.

Nothing else interests me until you start getting into Rubicon accessories, at which time I still only want the front axle, 4.10 gears, and crawl ratio.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I would go used Jeep personally. Like you suggested, an old TJ with the 4.0 engine would be great. That way it wouldn't be my daily driver and I wouldn't be so petrified of pin striping on the trail. There's something about beating up a brand new vehicle that doesn't sit well with me and it's hard to strike the right balance between using it the way it was intended and babying it. With an older, used Jeep I wouldnt worry about it as much.

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
I bought a really basic Jeep in 2012. Manual transmission, roll-up windows , steel wheels, etc.

Did splurge and get air conditioning and the removable hard top. Other than that, real basic. Still thoroughly enjoy driving that thing. Have built it up a bit now, but the basic Jeep is still there.

My niece was really cute when she hopped in it, looked at the window crank on the door and asked what it was... She'd never seen anything but electric/power windows on a vehicle before...

Guy

swift7777

°.lllllll.°
I bought my 2011 2 Door used for a good chunk off 3 years ago, power nothing, roll up windows - love it, its gone everywhere and done everything I've asked it to. The right tires and a small lift go a long way in getting you down the trail. I'm a fan of spending as little as possible on mods and instead using the money for trips.

A

AngryRedBird

I'm a fan of spending as little as possible on mods and instead using the money for trips.
Hear, Hear I like that attitude, definitely words to live by.

Updated at 9:00 Am

I was talking to Red this morning about the posted topic at Expedition Portal forums.. "What is the Basic Jeep Wrangler" I love it when a jeepgirl and my self think alike.. Clearly she and I are on the same wave length.. and without going into too much detail.. she responded in like fashion.. "The rear seat & carpeting has to go, who ever heard of putting carpeting in a jeep anyway. It's going to get wet, because jeeps leak and it's going to get muddy/dirty because we take these jeeps off road" perfect segway for the bedliner comment too. Hey Thats my JeepGirl.

Last edited:

rlynch356

Defyota
Here is how i went about thinking about my 2015 Jeep purchase..

My personal Question: What would i get if it i could buy a new defender 110 in the US?"
4 Doors (=JKU)
White
Auto transmission
a radio (basic is fine)
A/C (stock is fine)
hard top (= Freedom top, delete soft top)
connectivity group = since i can hear the radio, this was my indulgence option
Tow hitch (=max tow package w/ 3.73 gears)
Gear ratio (see above)

That was it for the basic package that i wanted and what i bought.

The rest i considered add on's - although i would have bought a Willy's for the rear locker if i could have, as it is i was already planning ARB lockers but i'm in no hurry.
I'm not really doing a build, but i do have a plan and am adding things off my list as i encounter the need for them.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I got what I wanted at a very generous price (thank you Mother Chrysler for helping out).

2014 JKU Sport, Max Tow Package, manual trans, LSD, hard top, power group, Sirius and radio gizmo pack.
Added JW Speaker headlights (soon to be offered as a MOPAR accessory) and some Rubi take-off rock rails. 255/80-17 Cooper ST-Maxx tires, 2m radio, cb/ssb, removed the back seat and built a dog perch, victory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior