Mojovan, Promaster build started

Babb

Mojo goat, greetings from Canada! Love your work I have been pondering same project but with the extended version. Please keep posting. I have been lurking daily watching your speedy progress. Couple of questions, why the 2 slider door van? Planning for a pull out extension? Also your batteries are those lithium ion or lithium iron and what is the weight, cost.

Keep up the fantastic craftsmanship would love to see a budget breakdown.

mojogoat

Observer
Didn't plan on getting the dual slider but this one had all the options I wanted at a great discount, I'll use the extra door for access and storage from outside. My batteries are LiFePO4 Prismatic Cells, 20ea 180AH for a total of 900AH. Weighs 250lbs 12x14x28" cost $5K. Usable AH equals to 6 to 7, 8d batteries.

mojogoat

Observer
With regard to budget, most of the components I'm using are quality and well made, I searched many hours last year for the lowest cost, free shipping, tax, coupon code, holiday sales, etc… I'm estimating I saved at least 40% of MSRP for the majority of the stuff. I'm at around $18K right now and will be around $25k when done. FLIR is my next pricey purchase.

Babb

FLIR as in forward looking infra red. What are you going to use this unit for when your done, maybe a little late nite wild boar hunting? Did you explore the option of an engine mounted generator as in the roadtrek zion? Are you building a lower mounted battery storage box? Keep up the great work.
Cheers babb

mojogoat

Observer
The FLIR is for driving, we travel a lot at night when there is less traffic and hope not to have an elk or deer as an hood ornament, came close several times. There wasn't an engine mounted generator available when I decided on the Onan. I probably would have went that route. The battery will be in the van to keep in mild temps. Extreme cold or heat lowers the lifespan of these batteries. Charging them below freezing damages them.

Babb

I live in a land of many wild things on the road! I know how much it sucks to have to put down a deer with a shovel.
But we fared much better than others. Truth is they hit fast crossing game that nothing would have saved them except one mother of a up deflecting bumper. You count on taking the hit just don't take a moose thru the windshield.
Did you happen to uncover just what roadtrek uses?
Cheers, babb

mojogoat

Observer
Didn't know Roadtrek offered one. I live on the pacific coast, northern Ca, seems lately there have been more pedestrians hit that deer around here. Mostly drug attics and bums high on something.

mojogoat

Observer
Installed Brake control, wired up the aux led backup lights, backup buzzer, added back up sensors, added extra ground wire since I will be drawing more amps when I install the battery to battery chargers. Tied to back up light feed to operate relay. Floor mat is finished, 1 3/8" gym rubber with carpet raises the floor back to the pre swivel height and feels great on the feet. Adds sound proofing and insulation. Have a weather tech mat to go over that.
http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/mcgiotes/Mojovan/story

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm really enjoying seeing your work. Thanks for continuing to keep us informed about this project.

mojogoat

Observer
Just finished the solar panel cover, made from heavy Sunbrella, I picked the color closest to the dirt,bird droppings etc… that have been accuminating on the top of my van. The cover slips over the front nose and over the edges, held on by velcro straps. Didn't design it to travel with it on but it looks like it would stay on on the road. I'll have to test it.
http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/mcgiotes/Mojovan/story

sub-terminal

Nice work Mojogoat!

I'm going with the LiFePo4 batteries as well. What made you decide on 20 180ah cells instead of 4 1000ah ones?
How did you decide that a 900ah bank would be suffiecient? I'm trying to figure out what size bank I need. Adding up all the power draws I think I'll have but I haven't decided on a couple of big things like heating and cooling. What inverter are you using? I just bought a Victron Multiplus. How about other components in the system like voltage regulators and such? I'm slowly learning :)

Oh, I really like that screen as well. I need to get something up pronto... the mosquitoes ate me up last year while I was working on my van. Can you tell me the manufacturer? Thanks a bunch!

mojogoat

Observer
If you have a cell failure with 5p4s configure, 5 cells paralleled,4 sets in series, you loose some ah but still usable, with 4s of 1000ah cells simplifies things but you have all your eggs in one basket, one cell with a problem and it all goes down. Magnum 2800/12 pure sine inverter/charger, Sterling 120amp battery to battery charger, Midnite the "kid solar" controller. All of these components are lithium battery programable. I figured I only needed about 600AH, If you don't plan on running an A/C on batteries, you can get by with allot less. 900AH of lithium batteries provide the usable AH of 1600-2000AH of lead acid batteries at 1/4 the weight/size. The cells degrade after a few years to 80%, which will still be more than what I need. Also if DOD is lower, they also last longer. I plan on getting at least 10 years service out of these batteries. The screen contact: drodabaugh@hotmail.com

sub-terminal

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yeah I thought you were going to say that about having all your eggs in one basket... either that or you got a great deal on the 180ah cells. My issue with all those batteries is monitoring all of them to make sure each cell doesn't go over the max voltage charge even with a Battery Management System. I suppose it's less critical if the cells were were properly balanced at the beginning but if this wasn't done then the BMS could overcharge one cell while charging the entire bank to the set max charge. I see it being a little tougher to watch 20 cells as opposed to 4. Also, you may have read about keeping LiFePo4's in a float charge? Looks to not be good for these batteries. New info regarding the care of these is ever evolving. It's interesting and the way to go for the future! Looking forward to getting my system up and running!
Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz