Mojovan, Promaster build started

mojogoat

Observer
So far my charging setup includes the battery switch that routes the alternator to the aux battery or the lipo pack. I installed 2 smart maintenance chargers, one for the engine battery and one for the aux battery for when the van's parked for a while. The aux battery has a dedicated 40watt solar panel and controller, the lipo will get fed the remaining 400watts on the roof. I installed a battery charge condition gauge with a lighted switch so I don't forget to turn it off.

Darwin

Explorer
What's the reason for all the LiPo battery amp hours? I understand you can't have too much, but just curious why you chose to go with that much battery, especially considering the cost. I don't see anything in the van unless I missed it that would require that many amp hours.

mojogoat

Observer
Dry camping, running the AC without having to run the generator that much. It will have induction cook top, microwave, electric heat, electric blanket, tv, etc…. I'm not running any propane so most all of the appliances are electric. With the exception of the Webasco gas heater which uses gasoline.

DzlToy

Explorer
LAH (Lithium Amp Hours) are not equivalent to lead acid or AGM Amp Hours, for those who do not know. Lithium batteries can typically be drawn down to 20% SOC (state of charge), where this would absolutely destroy a lead acid battery. Further, it can be repeated time and again with lithium cells. In addition to their weight and lifespan, this is a huge advantage over traditional battery technology.

The downside of course, is the high up front cost, which can be amortised over the longer battery life, when compared to lead acid or AGM.

mojogoat

Observer
The same useable AH in lead batteries would have weighed 900+lbs, my pack weighs 250lbs. I cut the cost by prudent shopping,by picking up the batteries at the distributer near the port so no shipping $, buying out of state to save Tax$, and assembling the pack myself. 900AH with BMS cost me <$5k. I figured I only needed 600AH but down the road,years, the efficiency of the batteries drop to 80%, which will still be enough. Also, if you do not run them down to 20% a lot, they last longer.

Darwin

Explorer
Okay that makes sense, with just the AC you will still be using around 130 amps DC, but should have the amps hours to cover that along with charging capability. Sounds like a pretty sweet set up.

mojogoat

Observer
Another cabinet

Weather gauges, heater control, battery charger controller, less. Tried wicker/caning this time.

Attachments

• IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 26

mojogoat

Observer
Near completion

Testing electrical system, magnum2812 runs the 13500 AC easily plus I can run my hot water heater and microwave at the same time. The solar panels are cranking out amps, the dinette bed configure works out great as you can leave half the bed made and still use the dinette and table. The sound/insulation works great, very quiet even when the generator in running. Shown is the electric toilet 12v. Added air bags in the back as the generator was at 8 1/2" clearance after all the stuff I installed, now its what ever I need it to be. Still have to hook up the CB,Marine radio,scanner,wifi and cell booster.IMG_2316.JPGIMG_2321.JPGIMG_2323.JPGIMG_2320.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2317.JPG
    IMG_2317.JPG
    427.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 18

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles