Gaia for Android, anybody using this?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey all,

Any of you using Gaia on your Android device?
Just noticed that Gaia is available now for Android. It seems like people really like this app on their Apple devices, just wondering how well it works on Android.
For those that are using it on Android, any input would be sincerely appreciated.
TIA, :beer:
Scott
P.S. If there is already a thread on this, please let me know. I tried a search, but nothing came up, except for Apple users. Thanks again!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I will download it in a bit and try it out. Its different for Canada, our mapping sucks. Well, Newfoundland mapping sucks. even still, I will try it out.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Thanks! :beer:
I've *read* a lot of good things on the Apple version, but sometimes that doesn't translate into a good Android app.

tarditi

Explorer
I've been using Backcountry Pro and it works pretty well - this looks promising, though.

I'm subbing to hear some other feedback from the overlander community.

tarditi

Explorer
there are some interesting comments about the "in-app purchases" too - apparently, they charge for some features that really should be free.

I'll stick with BCN

JimBiram

Adventurer
I'm sticking with BCN too. It's really getting better with each update.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run Gaia on Android. Both Tablet and Phone. Its amazing... I am currently in South Korea and thats my primary navigation app. Google Maps and I have downloaded all of ROK on my phone.

I cant say enough good things about that app. I just did the initial purchase. It still syncs with cloud for all your waypoints. I havent seen the need to go "Pro"

Last edited:

Ballbearing

Observer
I'm new to Android and new to Gaia, but just started using both. I went wit Gaia over BCN due to a couple reviews on other sites. I find MotionX GPS on the Apple platform much easier to use, however, I didn't want to spend the money for an Ipad mini (my Iphone is too small for me to use as a real navigation aid). I'm still trying to figure things out and have been reading the help section on their site, but will be interested to see the thoughts from this board and possibly any hints/tips.

MattL

Adventurer
I used the Gaia app on my last trip. I was a little confused on how to use the app at first but after saving various maps before the trip and getting to know the app more I'm pretty satisfied.

It worked great for me off-road and on road. My table doesn't have a data plan (not that I would have been in range anyway) but the GPS worked perfectly. Everything is easily viewable on my 10" samsung screen and I'm looking forward to exploring more features and pre-planning trips.

zelatore

Explorer
I'm new to Android and new to Gaia, but just started using both. I went wit Gaia over BCN due to a couple reviews on other sites. I find MotionX GPS on the Apple platform much easier to use, however, I didn't want to spend the money for an Ipad mini (my Iphone is too small for me to use as a real navigation aid). I'm still trying to figure things out and have been reading the help section on their site, but will be interested to see the thoughts from this board and possibly any hints/tips.

Pretty much in the same boat here. I just switched from an iPad 1 (want a laugh? walk into an Apple store with a first gen iPad - they'll be in shock that anybody still has one!) and MotionX to a Samsung and Gaia. I haven't had a chance to use it in the field yet as I just got it last weekend. I have played around with the standard maps but I'm not in love with them yet. Anybody have a 'favorite' map server they're using?

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Really appreciate everyone's input on this. :beer:
I ended up downloading BCN onto a Samsung Note 4, for the trip across the Mojave Rd.
Will be another month before getting another chance to go play.
Still interested in trying out Gaia, and will run a back to back on my next trip out.
On a side note, I was very happy with the Note 4, both for ease of use in multi-tasking, and battery longevity.
It also did great pulling in cell towers for connectivity on Verizon.

-CS

Ballbearing

Observer
I used the free trial premium upgrade and downloaded several map tiles and styles to make a layered map I liked. The trial has since ended and I now find myself using only the opencycle maps. In fact, I haven't used the program enough to find out how to switch map sources efficiently. Once the trial ended I found myself using MotionX more on my phone just out of convenience and greater ease of use. Don't use my review as a basis for anything though. The program wasn't immediately intuitive to me and the tablet was a bit frustrating as well so I never dedicated the time to becoming proficient in it's use.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great input!

I used the free trial premium upgrade and downloaded several map tiles and styles to make a layered map I liked. The trial has since ended and I now find myself using only the opencycle maps. In fact, I haven't used the program enough to find out how to switch map sources efficiently. Once the trial ended I found myself using MotionX more on my phone just out of convenience and greater ease of use. Don't use my review as a basis for anything though. The program wasn't immediately intuitive to me and the tablet was a bit frustrating as well so I never dedicated the time to becoming proficient in it's use.

Hey, thanks for posting! :beer:
I think that is really good input, and probably mirrors a lot of us. I'm lucky to get a week out of the year to go explore. So a map and compass is really fast and easy. Versus downloading this, uploading that, then figuring out what to do with it all.
I did find it helpful in the desert with the satellite imagery when there were multiple "lines" that spread out over a rise. I could literally "see" the correct path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles