Advice

ole57

I am fulfilling a life long dream and need some advice. Recently retired, I purchased a 19 ft. Airstream 2012 in excellent condition and also a 2003 Land Cruiser in mint condition. The LC has 85K miles and was meticulously maintained by a pilot. My plan is to tour the country (primarily west and northwest) including Canada and up to Alaska. The LC is stock. My plan is to do some off road exploration, nothing too intense, but getting into the backwoods when possible. I would like to get the LC ready and need advice on what I should do as regards suspension, winch, any basics that should be done. I do not mind spending some money but do not want to go overboard early on. I have searched the web and have seen some awesome build outs including here, but most of the LC's are way beyond what I need. Any advice is welcome as far as suggestions and recommendations are concerned.
The plan is to use the Airstream as a base and do some day trips and off road drives as location permits. I know I got a great vehicle and want to do things right and plan to have the LC for quite sometime. Thanks to any one who responds, advice is much appreciated.

I'm sure the other members that frequent this section can give you some great advice, far better than I could. But, for starters, have you checked out ih8mud.com? It's pretty much the go-to forum for Land Cruisers, and there is a wealth of information there. I highly recommend that you check it out.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I am fulfilling a life long dream and need some advice. Recently retired, I purchased a 19 ft. Airstream 2012 in excellent condition and also a 2003 Land Cruiser in mint condition. The LC has 85K miles and was meticulously maintained by a pilot. My plan is to tour the country (primarily west and northwest) including Canada and up to Alaska. The LC is stock. My plan is to do some off road exploration, nothing too intense, but getting into the backwoods when possible. I would like to get the LC ready and need advice on what I should do as regards suspension, winch, any basics that should be done. I do not mind spending some money but do not want to go overboard early on. I have searched the web and have seen some awesome build outs including here, but most of the LC's are way beyond what I need. Any advice is welcome as far as suggestions and recommendations are concerned.
The plan is to use the Airstream as a base and do some day trips and off road drives as location permits. I know I got a great vehicle and want to do things right and plan to have the LC for quite sometime. Thanks to any one who responds, advice is much appreciated.

Change the fluids get the timing belt done general rule 105,000 miles or 105 months, just get it done its a belt, water pump and fan assembly typically then your home free!

I loved my LC awesome machine in stock format. Even stock with good tires it will do more things than most people would ever feel comfortable doing. Get properly rated tires for your towing and weight needs and just go!!!

I'm sure once you cut loose and get a few trips covered you'll find interesting items you want and have a use for but regarding your LC it sounds like a total cream puff and other than some basics I say hit the road. Its a very capable machine as it is.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Get all the maintenance items in order; the biggest worry you will have is the stress of pulling a trailer. You didn't say whether auto or stick. Autos need to be kept cool, and
fluids in good order. Something about torque convertor lock up, etc of which I have only heard of and know nothing. ih8mud does have an extensive 80's section with a lot of info.
Have a good trip! If you get to Vancouver Island let me know, I'll direct you to the local sights.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Get all the maintenance items in order; the biggest worry you will have is the stress of pulling a trailer. You didn't say whether auto or stick. Autos need to be kept cool, and
fluids in good order. Something about torque convertor lock up, etc of which I have only heard of and know nothing. ih8mud does have an extensive 80's section with a lot of info.
Have a good trip! If you get to Vancouver Island let me know, I'll direct you to the local sights.

He has the 100 its AT V8 as long as he's keeping the trailer in the towing range 5000lbs or under he's fine.

The 105 months or 105,000 miles is the generic rule for most rubber timing belts given they get stiff over time. Most Toyota V8 peeps do the timing project at 100K given its just easier to track however his is aged out miles are not an issue belt age is. Just do it and your ready to hit the road.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As a side note the shorter wheel base on the LC you will find it tows better with the rear tires aired up a little more than what you would typically run without the trailer. My J80 was like this also its just wheel base length vs trailer load etc you can feel the tail wag a bit add a couple of lbs of tire pressure and they settle down and stay planted.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Put air bags on the rear suspension. They will make a huge difference when towing. Since you don't plan to do much in the way of off-roading, the air bags should never be an issue for you.

Cheers

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I tow quite a bit with my 2000 LX470. I wish I would have waited for an '03, just to have the extra gear in the transmission. That being said, she actually tows very well. I have added rear air bags and a trailer brake controller because I tow a lot of different trailers. If you are just towing the Airstream, I would recommend a good load-leveling, anti-sway hitch and electric trailer brakes. You should be happy with how it tows.

forumrunner_20121002_224115-jpg.681298

20130126_164514.jpg

ResizedImage951362457062616_zpscac45d1e.jpg

forumrunner_20131029_141502-jpg.823851

bdog1

Adventurer
If your doing some exploring, the cost of a decent winch these days is a no brainer. You don't need the biggest or the best, 8000# will get you out of trouble easily. Consider a receiver mount, and adding a front hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fireball

Explorer
A nice set of 285.75.16s and some sliders and some airbags for the rear would be my starting point. There have been some nice integrations of a winch with the OEM front bumper which is the way I would go if I were you and decided I absolutely needed a winch. I would avoid heavy bumpers and a lift at first. You'll likely be just fine with the larger AT tires and sliders.

Upland80

Adventurer
If you're looking for outdoor readiness, I would suggest a 2-3 inch lift, 315s, a front bumper and a 12K winch...should be set to go from there!

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
weight distributing trailer hitch w/ anti sway. I pulled 7K monthly in mine for 4 years, no worries. Check brake for pad wear often.

CSG

Explorer
Other than the 90k service, I'm not sure you need to do anything else. Unless you're doing gonzo stuff, a stock LC 100 is a pretty capable vehicle. I think your rig is suited to 6000# towing or 6500# with a WD hitch. That's the rating on my 2002 anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior