Finally got her lifted yesterday....

TJVach

Observer
nwoods said:
Interesting set up. I'm considering getting another rig and looking at Jeeps. With so many available options, why did you choose the OME set up? What were the operational parameters that led you down that path?

I'm asking in a very uncritical voice. I'm just overwhelmed by all the options and mfr's that service the Jeep, so I could use some guidance.

Hey sorry I missed your post. Well there were quite a few reasons why I went with the Old Man Emu setup. For one and probably the biggest reason was because of there different rate springs that they sell. It isn't just a "cookie cutter spring" as I like to refer to them as. Basically what a cookie cutter spring is is the same spring for a bunch of different vehicles. Take for instance the Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex spring, while it's a great spring that same spring will go on a TJ with a 4cyl, soft top, no rear seat, and no tools. As well as a 6cyl, hardtop, roof rack, rear seat, tons of tools, front and rear heavy duty bumpers, winch, trailer, the list goes on and on. Do you understand what I am trying to get at? That's the biggest reason for the OME decision.

The other reasons were price, availability, reputation, and customization. There are 4+ different springs available for the front depending on the load/preference, and roughly the same for the rear. Also the amount of flex in comparison to the lift height is amazing. Here is a picture of my buddies TJ with the 2" Medium Duty Kit and 31" tires he still wasn't maxed out on the RTI ramp. IT'S NUTS!:

SeanRTI5.jpg

sami said:
good lookin

what tires are you running size/make

I am running 33x12.5R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ Radials with Mickey Thompson Classic Locks (15x8)

Feel free to ask more questions. I am more than happy to answer anything I can.

TJVach

Observer
Yeah I know. I will be flexing my truck out tomorrow and will definitely be snapping some pics. Granted it'll be with a forklift, but flex is flex. :)

TJVach

Observer
As promised here are some shots of the flex of non broken in OME TJ/LJ Coils Springs, etc... Not to shabby. To give you a little bit of reference the bottom of the driver side front tire was 31.25" off the ground.

FlexFront-2.jpg

FlexPassenger-1.jpg

FlexPassengerCorner-1.jpg

FlexRear-2.jpg

WFTW

Adventurer
Nice pix! I like that last one of the back the best...that right rear tire is really stuffed! :)

hrjaw

Explorer
Kyle,
picked up the wrangler last night. I can honestly say re-gearing made a HUGE difference. you will really see a change in yours when you get it done. Jyme did a great job.

TJVach

Observer
What gear ratio did you end up with? I'm trying to decide between 4.56 and 4.88. I know that the optimum range for the 4.0L is 2500 RPM, but I can't grasp that concept. Then again I am use to 3.07's where going 65 on the highway on 30" tires your turning 1600 RPM.

hrjaw

Explorer
TJVach said:
What gear ratio did you end up with? I'm trying to decide between 4.56 and 4.88. I know that the optimum range for the 4.0L is 2500 RPM, but I can't grasp that concept. Then again I am use to 3.07's where going 65 on the highway on 30" tires your turning 1600 RPM.

Kyle,
I went with 3.73's only because I am not going to go any bigger on the tire size (I am running 31's). I, like you, was running 3.07's. man, what a difference. The guys on here helped me decide what was best, based on tire size. and also, if you talk to Jyme, he can be very insightfull as well. probably one of the best things I ever did. Now all I need to do is make sure I follow the break in period properly.
Roger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online