ram air snorkel help

boostin

Adventurer
Hey guys

Just looking for some tips on building a ram air snorkel set up for a fe180..

I am not building this for offroad but more for performance and fuel economy. I have heard it makes a difference

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Depending on the amount of modification you want to make, an exhaust shop can manufacture one with the bends etc quite cheaply to fit existing mounts ( if present) points. They also have stainless steel if you want to go the cost. amesz00 has a great example of this. Have loved his setup for a long time.
image.jpg

boostin

Adventurer
Do you just use the factory air filter canister?

Who makes that top snorkel part?

I see you have one...did it make a difference performance wise?

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Andrew, the green truck above, is aftermarket from the top to the engine. He said he put in a new canister filter and 4 inch stainless from memory.
Mine was done by the Amesz factory in Perth (I believe). They left the OEM filter and much of its piping in place. So all I had to do was extend its height with the intro of the new rack. Performance difference, it has always been on there so hard for me to comment. But everything I read says its a good thing to do. I am sure others here will have an experience.
The ram top is avail on eBay.

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I would have thought that 3" might be a bit restrictive over that distance, but maybe that's just me...

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
To quantify my previous statement...
With some crude measurements of my FG84's OEM snorkel, at the smallest cross section (about half way down) it is approximately 8000 sq/mm. That equates to about a 4" pipe's area.
Granted, I have a 4.9 litre engine, but that is the size of the OEM setup. If I were looking for extra performance I would likely go bigger than that.
You do have a ram scoop, so that will help, but remember... the longer the pipe, the greater the resistance, so bigger in this case is probably better.
Just my 2c worth.

boostin

Adventurer
To quantify my previous statement...
With some crude measurements of my FG84's OEM snorkel, at the smallest cross section (about half way down) it is approximately 8000 sq/mm. That equates to about a 4" pipe's area.
Granted, I have a 4.9 litre engine, but that is the size of the OEM setup. If I were looking for extra performance I would likely go bigger than that.
You do have a ram scoop, so that will help, but remember... the longer the pipe, the greater the resistance, so bigger in this case is probably better.
Just my 2c worth.

Same engine as mine so looks like I need minimum of 4"

Wish I could find a 5" one

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Maybe you could use some 6" pipe and squash it in the section that goes down the back of the cab. It's not like there is not enough room for it.
If you squashed it down to 4" then it should be about 8" wide, but you would still have round sections at each end to attach the hose and snorkel. I am not sure, but I am thinking that 6" is around the size used by bigger trucks.
Mind you... unless you intend to include a significantly bigger exhaust then I don't really see any point in enlarging the air intake pipework.

Doesn't the FE180 come with a plastic air intake and filter canister? If so... what's wrong with the OEM air intake?

boostin

Adventurer
Just looking for some upgrades in performance and mpg... it's a work truck and prob be pulling a trailer some times with equipment on it...

Want to make sure I have enough power sine I picked this over a dodge diesel

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I would expect that the FE would get better fuel economy than a FG out of the box without any mods, as the gear ratios are significantly different.
The FG is geared much lower, that's why adding larger singles is an advantage, but you should not have to worry about that.
What MPG are you getting out of your FE180 now?

As for power... that's another story all together.
As far as I know, there is not a lot you can do on these trucks without upsetting the ECU. The only real option I know of is something like the Steinbauer performance chip, which is fitted post ECU. Mind you... adding one of these is not likely to give you better fuel economy.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Fully understand that, but normally when you want more power you need to use more fuel.
The advent of common rail has definitely made diesels more efficient and normally more powerful, but unless you have the ability to remap the ECU then changing how things have been configured at the factory is difficult.
Letting the engine breathe a bit better (both inlet and exhaust) should definitely help, but I expect that by doing this you will only get a small increase in power and/or economy.

The other thing is that you should probably get some baseline figures before doing any modifications. If you don't, it will be pretty hard to have genuine before and after data.

boostin

Adventurer
Fully understand that, but normally when you want more power you need to use more fuel.
The advent of common rail has definitely made diesels more efficient and normally more powerful, but unless you have the ability to remap the ECU then changing how things have been configured at the factory is difficult.
Letting the engine breathe a bit better (both inlet and exhaust) should definitely help, but I expect that by doing this you will only get a small increase in power and/or economy.

The other thing is that you should probably get some baseline figures before doing any modifications. If you don't, it will be pretty hard to have genuine before and after data.

Yah agree for sure...Just like to plan a map of upgrades and a budget for it. Hope to have the business going in a few months so I will be getting tons of kms in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior