2nd Gen Dodge- Help Indexing Transfer Case?

GJStringert

Observer
Hey gang,

If you've seen my build thread lately you know my truck has gained some altitude and a major front end re-do after a track bar bracket self destructed on the highway. The transfer case was also rebuilt about a month ago (same guy that rebuilt my engine), so I know this isn't a transfer case issue... Anyway, I have a problem. The truck currently sits on 6" Thuren coils and DT Profab radius arms which, as I understand it, move the axle forward 2". Obviously, I need a new front driveshaft. The factory one is on the last 1/4" of splines and HATES these angles.

I had hoped that the vibrations and popping that I'm getting would be alleviated with a new driveshaft but I'm having some issues: my operating angle is currently 27* on the front shaft. NASTY. With that, also, the local shop wouldn't build me a new shaft unless I agreed to not have a warranty on it, the guy pretty much assured me it would break at some point, regardless of speed on it or the offroad terrain it was in. When I called Tom Woods they basically told me the same thing. Not telling me off, but telling me these angles are near impossible to work reliably with.

I'm trying to avoid a transfer case/tranny drop bracket, because my rear driveshaft is a 2 piece and it's basically perfect. I installed shims in my rear leaf springs and my rear angles are probably better than factory, and I'm REALLY trying to avoid cutting and turning the steering knuckles on the front to aim the pinion up (it's not as bad at the axle, about 20*), at least right now. Can't afford that downtime...

So to abridge my longwinded post: any of you have first hand experience with clocking a transfer case on a 2nd gen Dodge? That'd be an NV4500 to NP241. Amount of clock needed? New crossmember or reuse old? Give me anything you've got, I need to get my 4x4 working a little more reliably haha!

Appreciate the help,
Graham

GJStringert

Observer
...bump for the day... I've been doing some research and I think I'll have to fabricate a new crossmember but otherwise I'm pretty sure I'll buy a skyjacker 10* clocking ring. Anybody have anything to offer? Ease of install? Effect on front driveshaft?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke