4x4 Camper Van

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Not entirely. I have an '83 CJ that doesnt have a factory 1983 part except the frame. Sounds like something that was rebuilt using multiple model year parts from at least one other donor, and it was registered as a 1973 to get around epa requirements. Maybe a '73 frame/chassis with the '84 shell/interior to spiff it up a bit.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
That would never fly in California, sadly.

Can you explain? I thought in Cali, like a lot of states, it was ok to swap newer drivetrain into an older chassis, but not older drivetrain into newer chassis. If he used the older engine, tranny, frame, etc and used the newer body/interior, and kept it registered using the title from the older truck, where's the foul?

ExpoMike

Since it is illegal to remove a VIN tag, the body, which is what the VIN tag is attached to, would be an '84. CA does not allow anything older than the model year engine to be installed. If you install a new year, you must have it approved by a CARB referee and it would be titled as the newer year of the engine, which has to have all of the original parts (cats, smog stuff, evap fuel containers, etc., etc.).

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Since it is illegal to remove a VIN tag, the body, which is what the VIN tag is attached to, would be an '84. CA does not allow anything older than the model year engine to be installed. If you install a new year, you must have it approved by a CARB referee and it would be titled as the newer year of the engine, which has to have all of the original parts (cats, smog stuff, evap fuel containers, etc., etc.).[/QUOTE

Not now but they used too back in 1984. I worked for a guy in Napa that had a 84 S-10 with a crazy V8 from a 69 Nova. He bought the S-10 brand new and put the V8 in it within a few weeks. Back then as long as the engine had the smog equipment it came with it was legal to swap in a newer vehicle, all a 69 Nova had was a PCV valve. He said the CARB couldn't do anything about it now because it was a legal engine swap when he did it and he had documentation by CARB saying so.
So this van could be smog legal but do your research first. It's the sellers legal responsibility to smog the vehicle too. I used to have my CA smog license until I moved north.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Those front hubs are not 80's era, they are early 70's, so unless someone swapped older hubs or front axle in I don't think Pathfinder did this conversion in the 80's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke