What interior paneling to use?

xped

Adventurer
I'm starting a new build on a 99 E450 box truck and was wondering what people have used for interior paneling. My only local options are Lowes and Home Depot and their selection is limited. My last build I used a white painted Masonite from lowes but I never really liked it. I would prefer not to use the mobilehome paneling so I'm leaning towards 1/4" plywood and possibly staining or wallpapering it. Any ideas?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Baltic Birch Plywood... a little pricy but very nice to work with. It's used for marine and cabinets and finishes up well.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
1/4" nominal (7/32" actual) BB grade, Type 1 hardwood plywood linoleum underlayment is readily available, tough, cheap, and stands up to humidity. Its birch side looks great in poly and is fully panel sanded so it's super smooth so it also takes paint very well.

Last edited:

xped

Adventurer
thanks for all the replies. I am going to check out Hughes Hardwoods. Trying to keep costs down so exotic hardwoods are probably out. I will check on the underlayment also.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Another underlayment bonus I failed to mention: it's flexible. Bends better than normal 1/4" plywood and as we know, there aren't too many straight lines in a van.

BIG-B

Observer
I'm in the same situation as the op and wondering if anyone knows where I can buy sheets of baltic birch with a laminate on it?

We used 1/4 birch paneling then covered them with marine padding and marine vinyl. We wrapped the vinyl around the edges and stapled it on so we could change the interior color scheme without re-making the wall panels. We already had to re-wrap a panel after the guy at the lumbar yard tore a hole in it when loading 3/4" ply.

-John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior