Would you trade??

GFA

Adventurer
My son owns a 2004 Jeep LJ that is very well outfitted and in very good condition overall other than a slight amount of surface rust popping up underneath. A weekend underneath it would solve the rust issues. It has 163k on it, 4" lift, 33" duratracs, high pinion front axle and 4.56 gears. Tons of new parts from the top to the tires and everything in between. I'd say it's worth a solid 12k in my area.

He has recently been in talks with someone about trading it for his '97 LC that is also pretty well built. It has factory lockers and center diff lock, ome lift, 35" BFG MT's, slee bumper and 12k warn and some other things. It has 211k miles on it but has had a head job done, birfields rebuilt, some sort of coolant hose replaced and a few other things. It has a pretty wicked vibration at about 45mph with throttle but none when you let off the gas. The ABS light is on constantly which could be an issue for inspections here in NC. The body has lots and lots of scratches and a few decent gouges from trail use. I'd call the body fair IMO. The interior is very dirty, headliner looks dingy, carpets dingy etc. it's been used primarily as a trail vehicle for the last few years and it really shows. What is this thing worth? I know I have no pics or full specs to give out but is it even remotely worth 12k? They are wanting to do an even trade and I'm not sure it's a good idea but telling that to a 16yr old is like talking to a brick wall. He needs this to be a daily driver and capable of making frequent 300 mile weekend trips to the mountains.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Upland80

Adventurer
He would be better off keeping the Jeep IMO. The LC is worth around 9-10K with those miles and accessories.

GFA

Adventurer
Thanks for the comps, those are all much nicer. They seem to be much more plentiful out west than they are on the east coast unfortunately

9-10k is what I feel it's worth also, I think we'll keep looking

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Not even close to those values in the condition you described. If it has been a trail rig then it probably hasn't had an easy life. 80s that sell in the 10k are in nice shape but with some miles on them, not beat up trail rigs. Sell the Jeep and seek out a cleaner 80. Try not to get stuck on all the mods that have been done to it they won't mean anything if the truck is in ruff mechanical shape. Patience is key when looking for a 20 year old truck. It pains me to say it but I think he's better off with the Jeep for now.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm a huge lifelong lover of Land Cruisers, but in this case I say keep the Heep! Or at least trade for a cleaner well maintained TLC. (I've owned a built '05 TJ Rubicon, and a mildly built '11 Rubicon, so not coming from total ignorance on the subject).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94