Water Tank Advice for Off Road Trailer

JeepFreak21

Observer
Hey, so, I'm looking at ordering a water tank for my off road tent trailer and I would love to get some input. I'm looking at tanks that are about 20 gallons and which span the 48" width of my trailer. It will probably be about 6" tall and 14" deep.

My concerns are keeping the water from "throwing it's weight around" (sloshing) while pulling this thing on the trail. Has anybody found a tank with dimensions similar to my goal that has baffles? Is there another solution? Is this a nonexistent problem?

TIA!
Billy

Last edited:

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
I used an approximate 20-gallon tank inside my Dodge Raider for some time without issue. The tank was sourced in a van conversion I found in the Pick-n-Pull on Sunrise.

Tank measurements are about 36" long x 8" high x 16" wide.

Good supplier information here: http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=162

110-gallon tank on a 1950's utility trailer:
Raider (272).JPG

Another older utility trailer, same tank:
Raider (933).jpg

Lastly, same tank with a bigger and more outfit trailer:
PercTrailer6 (2).jpg
PercTrailer8.jpg

I still have the water tank, used to water our chickens. Tank was mounted on 5 different trailers and used for percolation testing on remote sites with primitive roads and pulled with either my Dodge Raider, Nissan Hardbody, or F250 2wd. Never had sloshing issues.

:coffee:

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
I was concerned about sloshing and weight transfer in a non-baffled tank when I restored my trailer in 2006 but couldn't find any with baffles. I eventually purchased a 15 gal. rectangular tank from Ronco Plastics in Irvine CA. I think my fears were unfounded because the lack of baffles has never been an issue at any fill level.

http://www.ronco-plastics.com/

alia176

Explorer
I have two 10 gallon tanks over the axle, under the frame. They're connected to each other but can be separated using a valve. So far, they've been working out well and do not affect the trailer dynamics too much. The pics were taken when I broke one of the leaf springs while out wheeling so the tanks were not the main subject :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• 102_2393.JPG
    102_2393.JPG
    472.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 102_2387.jpg
    102_2387.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 134

SoCal Tom

Explorer
To reduce the impact mount them low and over the axle as best as possible. 20 gallons of water is about 160 lbs, so its big, but not massive as long as you don't let it have any leverage.
Tom

drgrenthum

I have never seen a baffled water tank. You can easily get spun aluminum ones meant for fuel. There are quite a few companies that custom make them and will put as many baffles and bungs as you want in them. I dont think it would be needed but you could see about coating the inside of them if concerned about water quality or taste.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Take a look at the ABS water tanks from Valterra. They come baffled every 18 inches for all the larger tanks. Best part is that you can install your own fittings wherever you need them. Just drill and use the welding (solvent) cement.

http://www.valterra.com/product-cat...market/freshwater-products/fresh-water-tanks/

Their 21 gallon tank is 8" x 16" x 42", or you can go up to 24 gallons if you want a full 48" width.

I have a smaller (unbaffled) 12g tank under the rear seat in my van. Love it.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I went to a marine store for mine. It came with no fittings, but they installed a fill and a feed fitting at no charge. I wish I had also done a drain as well... maybe next refit I will have one put in? The tank was about $75.00 and is a 13 gal. No baffles, but then again it is not too much water... it is mounted inside my tub, but centered over the axle and really does not seem to affect handling when full and adds nearly zero tongue weight.

If I recall they did custom orders as well? LOTS of marine tank suppliers online, custom sizes and I am sure baffle options as well. Even some reasonable tanks on Ebay.

jungblud

Observer
I'm installing an 18ga Valterra in the front of my Morris Mule as I type this. I was looking for basics here around venting, etc.

The Valterra has baffles on the medium/larger tanks. Long term I have a rotomolded tank picked for this trailer that will straddle the axle.

IMG_20150520_181253.jpg

Septu

Explorer
I went to a marine store for mine. It came with no fittings, but they installed a fill and a feed fitting at no charge. I wish I had also done a drain as well... maybe next refit I will have one put in? The tank was about $75.00 and is a 13 gal. No baffles, but then again it is not too much water... it is mounted inside my tub, but centered over the axle and really does not seem to affect handling when full and adds nearly zero tongue weight.

Greg, how does the placement work for you with regards to storage? I'm still tossing around thoughts and whatnot... but I suspect that mine will likely end up in front of the axle (not against the front of the tub, but 15" or so from it). Just trying to think of the best way to minimize the footprint without putting it under the trailer.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Greg, how does the placement work for you with regards to storage? I'm still tossing around thoughts and whatnot... but I suspect that mine will likely end up in front of the axle (not against the front of the tub, but 15" or so from it). Just trying to think of the best way to minimize the footprint without putting it under the trailer.

Honestly, under the bed would have been better, but also a PITA. I like it where it is. When both this 13 gallon tank and the 2 x 5 Gal Scepter water cans full, there is not much noticeable difference in tongue weight, which is why it is centered. I actually looked at mounting it more forward, but the battery in the tongue box (group 24 deep cycle) along with all that water was too much. I have 2 x 10# propane tanks on the rear (one with one coming), the water in the middle and the battery up front. With my cargo loaded right I can get a very good balance with a slightly forward weight bias. So far, it tows awesome and is still easy to maneuver around by hand.

Takes up a bunch of space, but it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles