Front end steering linkage help

rdcolorado

Observer
So I bought a 4x4 conversion van and I am trying to do some maintenance to make it more road worthy.
Have no idea who did the conversion since there are no stickers or anything anywhere.

20002 ford E350
V10
4x4

I am wondering if anyone can provide any info since I am have a hard time locating the correct tie rod end.
Has an interesting set up to drop the steering linkage.

I am looking to make this think into a camper expedition vehicle so any insight from all the experts out there would be appreciated.

Attachments

• fordvanfrontend.jpg
    fordvanfrontend.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 31

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Oh my. See something new every day! Wow.

Those upper u-bolt plates look familiar, haven't been able to ID the installer.

I would recommend to get rid of all of that, our crossover steering should fit. Does it have a trac bar?

If you don't want to fix that crazy steering setup the parts you have circled appear to be standard 99-04 F series stuff. The adjuster and drag link ends anyway...

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
That's about the most original steering system I've seen outside of ratrods. Can't say they weren't trying. Wonder what they used for idler arms (yes plural!) on the center-link...bet it would actually drive decent with fresh tight joints and good geometry (using a calculator not just building what fits).

rdcolorado

Observer
Thanks Chris/Ujoint. I was looking to just get it driving again for now. I have been on the Ujoint offroad site and I was wondering about your crossover steering.
I don't think it has a trac bar but I will take a few more pics and post 'em just to document this 'interesting' conversion.
I tried the stock 4x4 parts and the idler arm I come up with is 8 inches long and the one on the vehicle now is 5 inches. Can't really find an identical one and I have looked everyone. By part #, size, rod dia and thread. I may just see if I can get this 8 inch ties rod shortened and threaded in order to work for now.

rdcolorado

Observer
I do think it will drive ok once I get it put back together and aligned. I was wondering if they are just stock ford idler arms.

rdcolorado

Observer
more pics from behind wheels

couple more pics for posterity

Attachments

• passengside.jpg
    passengside.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 22
  • driverside.jpg
    driverside.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 18

rdcolorado

Observer
Another overall pic...has potential

Some more info...has a Borg Warner transfer case. 4wheel drive seems to work pretty well. With the limited slip rearend at 3.73.

Attachments

• vanpic.jpg
    vanpic.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 13

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Stock Ford = no idler arms. Solid front axle apps anyway nor TTB nor TIB.

Exactly. They may be from a 2wd GM van, worth a shot.

I would seriously suggest scrapping all of that steering and then think about ditching those front blocks.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Idler arms look beefy and surely whoever installed them chose something from a similar or superior GVWR class. I bet they're from a similar year 2500/3500 chassis and if a van specialty company did the conversion, I'd bet they used GM or Dodge takeoff parts. Parts store should be able to match them up in a few minutes just by opening a half-dozen boxes.

Those lift blocks up front = bad juju. Ditch them before they ditch you.

rdcolorado

Observer
I spent about two hours at different auto parts stores to no avail. I may have located a suitable replacement online but I will have to order it.

On another note, getting rid of those blocks would require different springs I guess. Mucho dolores! Much bucks etc. Probably look into the u joint crossover steering first. If I can make that work with the current setup.

Thanks for all the input. First time owning a van this big.

rdcolorado

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Could also get used springs of the right width at the junkyard and supplement your current pack with additional lower leaves.

Doing it right, even on the cheap, would require new u-bolts (same length) and (longer) center-pins so there's no almost-free option.

rdcolorado

Observer
Exactly. They may be from a 2wd GM van, worth a shot.

I would seriously suggest scrapping all of that steering and then think about ditching those front blocks.

Chris, do you make a drag link and pitman arm I could use to replace this menagerie in the picture above? I was looking in some of the UJoint builds and saw a drag link that looks like it would solve my problem for now.

thanks!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Only our crossover kit would work.

Our old style steering would have but I don't have the longer drag link adjusters machined anymore. Crossover is much better anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke