Taking the 72 Series III to Expo West.

Sleam

Explorer
Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask a little advice or get feedback. I plan on taking my 72 Landy to the Overland Expo from near Santa Fe. I plan on heading south through Tijeras on Hwy 14 and then crossing the interstate at Socorro and taking Hqy 60 across to Payson then head north. Anyone know of another route that is on minor roads for the return journey? Its not safe on the interstate (too slow) plus that's just plain boring! It'll be me and a tent and a dog probably.
The engine is rebuilt, good tranny, brakes, cooling system. The tires are okay but old. In fact, one flat tire this morning. Would the AZ heat be hard on the older tires? The leaf springs are rusted and old too, no paperwork to say they were ever replaced!
I can change and check all the fluids. Anytthing else you recommend to take care of before a big trip in an old vehicle like this?
Any suggestions or ideas welcome! Thanks, s

2014-07-10 02.25.23.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Nice truck. I would replace older tires, a blow out at 55mph in a short wheel base would be bad!

I would not worry about springs, you could jack it up from the bumper and spray lithium grease between springs.

How far is the drive? I always changed my FJ40's fluid before a long trip - it was not a DD, so fluid changes were done at time intervals rather than mileage.

Have fun!

LR Max

Local Oaf
Sounds like new tires would be beneficial. Also have your rims checked to ensure they are straight. Bent rims will make for a crappy ride.

Probably would be a good time to go through and grease all the U-joints and change any fluids that might need to be changed (usually before a big trip, they need to be done anyway).

Consider new seats and noise canceling earphones. Then you'll be good to go.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yeah other than that, just a general inspection. Make sure suspension and steering is in good shape. Wheel bearings are ok. Driveshafts ok. Maybe a tune up. Crap like that.

If you REALLY wanted to go all out, install a new set of axle shafts in the rear. The 10 splines aren't really strong then combine that with fatigue stress and they can break anytime. Then you are stuck. This is bad.

James86004

Expedition Leader
I have driven the part from Socorro on US-60 to Show Low, then AZ-260 to Payson, and AZ-87 to Lake Mary Road, and on to Flagstaff. It is a beautiful route, and with the exception of the AZ-260 part is very empty. Most of it is above 5000 or 6000 feet so it won't be stupid hot. If you want to throw a little dirt road in, take FR300, it turns off 260 about 25 miles west of Heber, and connects to 87 north of Payson.

On the way home perhaps US-89 to US-160 to US-64 to Farmington, and one of several routes from there to Santa Fe? Or if you have more time you could cris-cross the Navajo and Hopi Reservations and see Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelley.

Sleam

Explorer
James86004; On the way home perhaps US-89 to US-160 to US-64 to Farmington said:
I like that idea of a little dirt on the way there. I'll check out the northern route on my maps too. I'd love to play a little and not just go there and back, you know. Thaks everyone!

I took the Landy to my mechanic in SF and we lifted it and poked around. He said the tires look fine, no cracking or weathering so it must have been in a garage for a while. The only thing was a pinion seal. We refitted a working wiper motor and played with that. Other than a seal and hose, he gave big thumbs up which is a huge relief, right? fluids and oils all were replaced last summer and not done more than 500 miles since then and good levels right now. I'll go check out my maps. Anyone want to meet up along the way?
s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles