What is it like to own a unimog?

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
In that case assuming one would need to purchase from Canada or Europe and import them yourself? How does that work? Who would do the repairs? How reliable are the U500's I wonder? I have heard horror stories of the newer MB Sprinters with all the electronics. A Sprinter seems basic compared to a U500... I can't imagine how much one of those would be to service.

Not sure how it is in the US, but in Canada, you can buy U500 parts right from Mercedes (car dealerships), you walk in with your VIN, they pull it up in the system, and you order the part. Catch is if it's not in Canada (and it might not be) you might be waiting 7-10 days for it to come from Germany.

There are a few guys in the US (Rob Pickering, few others) that do service U500's independently. And if you have the repair manuals any heavy truck shop might be able to service it, but be prepared to pay the "Mercedes Price" Quite a few owners purchase the STAR diagnostic computer and carry it with them.

I've heard of and personally seen a few U500's with transmission issues, locked in gear or won't go into gear. And there was a recall for the release bearing ingesting air a while back but those should have been all fixed by now. Other than that and the occasional CTIS sensor I think they are pretty robust. Certainly more comfortable to drive distance than the older ones ;) Few owners might be able to comment further.

Personally I'll stick with the older, computerless, Unimogs ;)

Last edited:

Terrawagen

Owning Unimogs is definitely a learning experience. You will find that your tool box will need larger tools. Yes, it does take longer to get places, but mostly because people want to ask you questions. Does that snorkel allow you to drive under water?
I can do some pretty cool things around the yard. Get a load of rock for the driveway and side dump it, pull large tree stumps right out of the ground in slow motion.
Unimog's have been getting better since production started. I thought that my SBU mogs were pretty comfortable and quiet rides until I drove a U500 across the US last December. I now find myself wanting to trade up.

Good idea asking about ownership before taking the plunge. Lots of different answers here. If anyone wants a Unimog lesson, and you're in the Portland area, just ask.

Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94