What is it like to own a unimog?

trae

Adventurer
Hello friends,

Apologies for a slightly clueless title, but that's basically what I am. I've been eyeing unimogs for a few years now but I'm curious about people who own them (or any ex-military vintage vehicle I guess). I'm an IT guy so I have very little experience wrenching on my own vehicles. If I manage to save say $20k for a 404 or a 406 what then? I imagine being this old there's a lot of maintenance involved. So is the only way to own one is to be your own mechanic or just be able to throw money at it?

Tennmogger

Explorer
You will be surprised how many people want the answer to this question :) If there is an ex-military vehicle that does not behave like an ex-military vehicle, it's the Unimog. A Unimog is unique, IMHO.

Are you the Unimog type? Is the next question "how can I make it go faster"? If so, look elsewhere. Be prepared for 'slow' in top speed and acceleration. Slow and persistent is the way of life with a Unimog.

You will need to be able to do basic maintenance, and Unimogs can be rather preventive maintenance intensive. However, if you buy a good truck to start with, repairs should not be an issue for a long time.

Even if you get a well maintained Unimog there can be surprises. Expect to do your own maintenance and repair because there is no help from MB. MB dealerships know little if anything about Unimogs, have no parts (except maybe engine parts for the shared engine from a 404), and they have no desire to help in most cases. Your best source of help is online, and help can be plentiful there. If you have no other Unimog owners nearby then the wrenches will be in your hands.

A basic Unimog already has all the 'upgrades' we read so much about in this forum. High ground clearance, big tires, snorkle, good air filtering, and usually plenty of fuel capacity start the list. Winches are available that are made for the Unimog. Try finding a winch that was factory spec'ed for a Toyota, for example.

Daily life with a Unimog depends on what you use it for. Daily driver, sure, but daily driver on the freeway for 45 minutes at 60 or 70 mph? No way. If you can take backroads everywhere, fine.

Want to use it for other things, as a tractor, wood hauler, mower, sure. 90% of my uses for Unimogs don't involve the road.

Always plan a little extra time for all the people who want you to talk to them.

Trae, do you have specific questions? What usage do you foresee for a Unimog?

Bob

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I'm a former 404 owner. I have worked on many newer models and driven many thousand miles on and off road in the military.For some reason I'm still not cured ;-)
As Tennmogger already said, they are slow. BUT fun! You need a good cashflow that's for sure. It's also important to know how to wrench.... Reason why I'm not owning one: costs too much to keep them running... I was always putting money aside for spare parts, gas and tires...

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Get right down to it an old Unimog is a really capable 4 wheel drive tractor, wrapped in a truck skin. I've been rebuilding mine for years, and hope to finish it before I die...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I love it when Tennmogger checks in here with his wisdom. Saves a lot of us less qualified, less veteran Moggers from writing up our opinions.

(Hiya, Bob . . . Hope it's all good with you. :) )

I second everything he said, and would add the one thing I usually tell people . . . a small Mog in North America is much better viewed as a hobby than as transportation. They're slow and noisy and you can't find people to service them and sourcing parts isn't always straightforward, but if you're OK with all of that (because, hey, it's your hobby), then you can have a lot of fun.

You can also have a lot of fun trailering/shipping one down to, say, Baja at which point you plod around at low speed for somewhere between a month and forever. But if the plan is to beat feet out of The Big Smoke most Friday afternoons to get a good spot at the lake for a couple days of backcountry camping, ummm, no so good.

As Bob pointed out, a stock smaller Mog can be an exceptionally good trail vehicle. In my area, it would be just barely doable to flog a 404 30 miles down the highway to get to the forest trails, where the truck would really shine. Any farther, though, and the plan loses any practicality; even rolling hills can leave a 404 struggling to stay above 40 mph.

Good luck deciding on whether a small Mog will meet your needs. Your happiness, if you do get one, will likely depend on you going into ownership with realistic expectations.

greg.potter

Adventurer
What is it like to own a Unimog?

Pure bliss - not according to my wife

Interesting - for sure

Entertaining - no question

Challenging - well OK

Probably not for everyone - but I'm OK with that!

Curious if you guys couldn't take your mog to say a freightliner dealer that also sells mogs for service? Just thinking if they sell and service new ones they should be able and willing to service the old ones.

foxhunter

Adventurer
I called my local freightliner dealer when I bought my 2003 U500 to ask if they would be able to service it. They said they thought they could change the fluids, but that was about it. So basically they could do for me what I can do myself. That said I realize the U500 has electronics that no owner of an older mog has to worry about. I have been toying with getting a 404 or 406 to use as a tractor/hauler in the woods and trails on the farm, but the thought of the added maintenance to a 30 yr old vehicle is holding me back.

That's crazy they sell the u500 they damn sure should be able to service it.
I called my local freightliner dealer when I bought my 2003 U500 to ask if they would be able to service it. They said they thought they could change the fluids, but that was about it. So basically they could do for me what I can do myself. That said I realize the U500 has electronics that no owner of an older mog has to worry about. I have been toying with getting a 404 or 406 to use as a tractor/hauler in the woods and trails on the farm, but the thought of the added maintenance to a 30 yr old vehicle is holding me back.

tarditi

Explorer
Never had a Unimog, but had a Hummer (H1). The advice is spot on, though - you will be stopped, asked questions or, just as often, have "experts" expound all sorts of facts and figures that are not even close to reality "my cousin's neighbor's roommate said that all the canvas tops are bulletproof."

I got pulled over by a cop one time just so he could check out the truck.

Service is mostly DIY with the help of very strong communities (mostly online). Generate a parts source list, and be generous with your own experience and patience to others.

If you "think" you want one, get something else... you have to be prepared. They are exotic, specialty vehicles and require a totally different care & feeding mentality/commitment. If you "know" you want one and have the money and time to invest into the pursuit, then proceed with caution and get lots of advice beforehand.

Aside from that, of all the vehicles I've owned, I miss my Hummer the most. I could NEVER replace it for what I ended up selling it for... alas.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
That's crazy they sell the u500 they damn sure should be able to service it.

*Sold.

They don't sell them anymore, 2002-2007 if I remember right, and all the Freightliner dealerships I've talked to, they'd rather forget about the whole experience. A whopping 184 total (I think) U500NA's were sold in all of North America by Freightliner. Over 5 years. Some can get parts but most are unwilling to spend the time to dig deep for the correct part numbers. At least in my experience. By contrast, I'm sure CASE sold many more U900's between '75-'80.

You're far better using the independent dealers in North America or Mercedes themselves (I actually find Mercedes carries most everything I've ever asked for, from outside mirrors, filters, rubber hose, to the entire double clutch assembly, but you need to know the part number) for parts, get the service manuals (and the Mercedes Star diagnostic system if you opt for the newer U500 but the original poster is talking 404/406/416 territory) and either make good friends with a good HD mechanic or get handy. Taking it to a shop they might take one look at the Mercedes star on the front and add the "luxury tax". The older units are pretty easy to work on, just parts are heavy, bolts are tight (good excuse to buy bigger tools! Lug nuts on most are in around 400Nm or 295ft/lbs) and everything is metric ;)

Also, as Bob mentioned, if it's performance on the highway you're after:

0-60? Nope. ;)

Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
I have had my 404 for about 14 years now and all the previous posters have pretty much covered it. They are slow but for Katherine and I a lot of fun. Also, if you weren't a good mechanic when you first get one, you will be.:coffee:

photo_i

Explorer
Freightliner not only has no parts for U500 they used to sell, they don't even have parts ## in their computer system any longer to order those for you.

Keyne

Adventurer
Freightliner not only has no parts for U500 they used to sell, they don't even have parts ## in their computer system any longer to order those for you.

In that case assuming one would need to purchase from Canada or Europe and import them yourself? How does that work? Who would do the repairs? How reliable are the U500's I wonder? I have heard horror stories of the newer MB Sprinters with all the electronics. A Sprinter seems basic compared to a U500... I can't imagine how much one of those would be to service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles