Anyone here have a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel?

bdp1978

Adventurer
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi and I love it. Personally I wouldn't buy an ECO Diesel, its all good when the systems are functioning properly however alot of diesels including the ecodiesel will continue to have issues with their after treatment systems as the after treatment systems are still relatively new. I'm sure the motor will hold its own, but having to fill up DEF, Re Gen etc.. Turns me off. My Hemi gets reasonable fuel economy considering its got 2.5" lift and 35's. I average around 16-17L/100kms city and as low as 12L/100 Highway. Getting roughly 600kms to 100L of fuel. Hope this helps

I'll 2nd this. I absolutely love my '14 Ram with the Hemi. I dont have the 8 speed and I still avg 17mpg in the city and 20 on the highway. The eco mode cylinder shutdown works VERY well. I looked at the eco diesels and couldnt justify anything about them.

chet6.7

Explorer
Chet, I (and probably the OP) would be interested in knowing what your mileage is with that DEF system. That's the downside to the DEF systems is that you have to factor in DEF to your mileage, AND those systems severely decrease normal fuel mileage. To the point where truly the benefit of the diesel over a large gasser starts to get small.

My last tank was 15.17, EVIC said 16.43.
There are several things that are lowering my MPG at this time,I do some city driving,I also get on the freeway at WOT to merge,often this means going faster than a vehicle at speed.My trips are usually fairly short or up to 20 miles,I go over a 7% grade a few times a week,and this is winter fuel.
Last summer the EVIC was pretty constant at 18.8,I believe that was 2MPG higher than my calc.
On a longer trip I have had the EVIC saying almost 23 MPG.
On a similar interstate trip my V10 that truck used 3 tanks(35gal) of fuel where the Cummins used 2 tanks of fuel(31gal). The trip in the diesel was about 75 miles longer than with the gas truck. DEF is $13 for 2.5gal.
Not everyone needs a diesel, there are trade offs,that is why I say pick your poison.The last time I looked a diesel with 100K on it was worth more than a gasser with 100K.
My V10 was 300HP and 450 pounds of torque,the Cummins is 370HP and 800 pounds of torque,I do notice the difference going up a grade.I also like the E-Brake going down the other side.

Clutch

<---Pass
$20k crew cab will most likely have some miles added to it, and back to suspension/wheels/tires cost + fuel mileage ~= Raptor

You're going to have to re-spring the Raptor to get to carry more weight, that thing has less payload than a Tacoma! Might as well start off with a stock F150. (you don't have to buy a used one like I suggested, Ford is blowing out the 2014's right now) Be a little cheaper, and get the suspension to exactly what you want. You can build a better performing suspension with after market than what comes on the stock Raptor.

Something you may want to consider is, with a RTT you live outside the vehicle...with a popup camper you live inside. Something to think about when the weather is nasty outside if your have family in tow.

Jtranum

16mpg in a half ton? My 2006 CDT gets a reliable 18-20 on the highway and it's lifted sitting on 315-70 17's. with a ton of recovery gear in the bed. (well maybe not a ton LOL)

I just sold a 2013 Ford F150 4x4 Ecoboost with 53K miles due to bad mileage. I ran 275/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers and I averaged 15 on highway and 11-13 in city, put a heavy load in the back and it dropped below 10mpg. Traded it for a 2015 Dodge CTD and now I get 18-20 on highway and have 35x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

wirenut

Adventurer
For your expected payload you really need to be looking at 2500 series trucks. Your looking at 1500 series trucks with the least payload of any of them (ecodiesel and raptor). Take some time to add up the weight of your family, pets, gear, prospective camper, fuel, recovery equipment, tools, food, etc. I suspect you would overload most any 1500 series truck. Weight adds up quick.
I have a dually to carry my family, camper, and boat and it's overloaded. I also use it as a daily driver, it's no big deal. Don't let a perceived size difference steer you toward an undersized truck.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That's good numbers. My 2014 3500 Ram diesel gets 14mpg. DRW, only extra weight is a 55 gallon diesel tank for my equipment.
I just sold a 2013 Ford F150 4x4 Ecoboost with 53K miles due to bad mileage. I ran 275/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers and I averaged 15 on highway and 11-13 in city, put a heavy load in the back and it dropped below 10mpg. Traded it for a 2015 Dodge CTD and now I get 18-20 on highway and have 35x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Modern half tons are far from lighter duty than they used to be. A modern half ton is about equivalent to a 3/4 ton from the 80s and older trucks. My father in law has an 83 gmc 3/4 ton truck. It's payload capacity is only 2900 pounds. That's nothing compared to modern trucks.

What?

Youd better check your numbers again. 2900 lbs is WAY high for a 1983 K2500

The max GVWR was only 6600 lbs if I remember correctly.

According to your claimed payload capacity, the truck would have weighed less than 4k lbs.

Not going to happen.

Also,

A 2015 GMC 2500 has a 9500lb max GVWR

Assuming it weight in the neighborhood of 7000 lbs or so, that puts its payload at roughly 2500 lbs.

NorCalHawk

Explorer
If you are going to use a camper, even the lightest camper, think payload and structural integrity. The payload on this truck is the lowest in it's class, ~1360 lb. Structure is unknown to me? Good highway mileage however.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
What?

Youd better check your numbers again. 2900 lbs is WAY high for a 1983 K2500

The max GVWR was only 6600 lbs if I remember correctly.

According to your claimed payload capacity, the truck would have weighed less than 4k lbs.

Not going to happen.

Also,

A 2015 GMC 2500 has a 9500lb max GVWR

Assuming it weight in the neighborhood of 7000 lbs or so, that puts its payload at roughly 2500 lbs.

No idea what you're talking about. The gvw of the truck is 8600 or 8800 pounds. Which is not much compared to modern 3/4 ton trucks. I'll take pictures of the sticker if you want to debate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
No idea what you're talking about. The gvw of the truck is 8600 or 8800 pounds. Which is not much compared to modern 3/4 ton trucks. I'll take pictures of the sticker if you want to debate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post them up.

Id love to see.

Im not doubting you, there were many different ways the K2500 was optioned out.

I know, I had one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior