Anyone here have a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel?

verdesardog

Explorer
the raptor is cool because you honestly don't need to mod it out the gate. But the gas mileage quickly eats up those savings over time I suspect, compare to the Ecoboost. Of course payload would make matters worst in that regards. I personally have an Ecoboost 2013, and havnt had any problems with the motor to date(23k miles in). It's exceptionally spacious and easy to maintain thus far. I have Upgraded the suspension and tires to 35" and I'm still averaging 16 mpg loaded. I have a wife an 3 dogs and nobody crys about space on road trips, just food and pee breaks.

16mpg in a half ton? My 2006 CDT gets a reliable 18-20 on the highway and it's lifted sitting on 315-70 17's. with a ton of recovery gear in the bed. (well maybe not a ton LOL)

Clutch

<---Pass
As cool as this thing is, it looks like it is WAAAAY out of budget, and I don't want a mortgage on a truck.

I hear that! I start looking at the FWC option...then add up everything you need to support the camper...see the bank account get empty right quick.

Could go the Flip Pac way, and not be too concerned with Payload. They feel more open on the inside than a traditional popup camper.

Might give up a little in comfort, but will get in the high teens for mpg's....would work on the EcoDiesel then.

Could build something like this under $30K if you're patient. Used 1/2 ton crew cab for $20K...I see used Flip Pacs come up on the used market from $1500-3000 time to time.

FlipPacHome013.jpg

Oobray

Adventurer
I've had several diesels and now a big block Yukon XL. The diesels had slightly more power than my current big block, but not by much. What the diesels had was increased MPG. BUT when you factor in the increased cost of diesel fuel AND the increased maintenance cost, it came really close to a wash for me. Any part that has to be replaced on a diesel seems twice what a similar part would be on a gasser. I think the total cost per mile (including maintenance and fuel) is less on a big block.

As has already been stated, little things and people add weight quickly. I rolled my rig across the scales one time. After adding camping gear, people and fuel my suburban weighed in at a little over 8klbs. I think complete empty weight is around 6,500lbs. That's why in mine (and many people's) opinion it's best to start from a 3/4 ton platform. When I switched from a pickup to the Yukon XL, I couldn't be happier. If I was going to really want to be nimble I'd get an add on tent like this one HERE There's probably better ones out there, I just found this with a quick Google in order to show you what I was thinking. This way you can sleep in the suburban / yukon and use the tent space for dressing, cooking, lounging etc.

Just my 2 cents. But honestly I think expoing (in my very, very limited experience) can be done many different vehicles. It's all about which comforts you want, and how much you want to modify. But I've been able to take vehicles in places I was really surprised that were not heavily modified for offroad use. So I would focus on vehicles that fit your family and comfort needs well before you choose one with offroad prowess.

kmlacroix

Explorer
I have a Diesel Jeep, Same engine and Transmission as the Ram. It works quite well for me. Some people, both Jeep and Ram, have had issues, most do not. If I was looking at a full-size truck camper, I did look into them, I would get a 250/2500. Get a non-DEF diesel. A 4-5 yo truck will cost less to insure, less exise tax, cheaper.

chet6.7

Explorer
I think the OP may be approaching or at 3/4T payloads,I have never regretted moving up from a 1/2T to a 3/4T.
Diesel or gas,both have tradeoffs,pick your poison.
I don't see filling the DEF tank as an issue,I think I am on my 2nd tank of DEF at 7K miles,but I may have forgotten a tank.
An empty DEF tank is not something that will take you by surprise,DEF is readily available,and cheap at Wal-Mart.
I do like the diesel's exhaust brake when going down a grade.
Is this truck going to be a daily driver or a vehicle used on trips?

Oobray

Adventurer
Chet, I (and probably the OP) would be interested in knowing what your mileage is with that DEF system. That's the downside to the DEF systems is that you have to factor in DEF to your mileage, AND those systems severely decrease normal fuel mileage. To the point where truly the benefit of the diesel over a large gasser starts to get small.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
A gal my wife works with bought an Ecodiesel 1500 Laramie when they first came out last year then a few weeks ago my wife told me she already traded it on a new Charger but later we found out the Charger is actually the loaner car over the past few weeks while the Ecodiesel has been in the dealer for repairs. I thought she was brave to buy an Ecodiesel in the first place. I think one would have be very naive of the current diesel engine situation in the US to buy something like that not to mention settling on a truck with the scary Chrysler/ZF electric shift 8 speed. Just sound like a truck born to have nothing but problems.

secretcitizen

Working night shift so it took a while to get back here.

I quoted insurance today and a SVT Raptor is on par (+/- $2) with a standard F150 so that worry is put to bed.
For now I have set my sights on a Raptor, and take compromises with a camper. (There are a few here that have a pop-up camper that I might be able to get some more info from)
But, I am open minded, and everything is debatable.

Now to the quotes...

I absolutely LOVE my Dodge Power Wagon. But, I absolutely HATE the 8-10 mpg empty or loaded---don't matter a bit, on stock size tires. It is now paid for, so it's a keeper. Anything & everything has it's trade-offs. Only you can decide. Definitely 3/4t & up though. Stuff adds up in a hurry. Better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.

2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/G56 6-speed manual.

Good luck.

Side note on the eco-diesel: it has been used in Europe for years with good results. Some weird maintenance though: trans oil pan is plastic/composite of some sort & the trans filter is permanently attached to it. So, every 30,000 miles you or the dealer ($$$$) has gotta do that to maintain warranty. $350 for the part from dealer. $250 on line. Dealer wants like $700+ to do the job.

I test drove a crew cab 4x4 eco diesel. Cleared the computer before we left. 28 mile drive of city & 55 mph. Computer said i averaged 28.9 mpg on my drive. I had a few stop lights & got it up to 80, 2x in the country. I was impressed. A far cry from my 8-10 mpg.

The power wagon wasn't even an option until it was mentioned on this thread, I had honestly forgotten about them.
From what I can predict though; power wagon > raptor when it comes to a true off road truck, my only issue is I don't know if I could live with it day to day when we aren't using it for traveling or camping. I guess you say it doesn't have the public appeal (cool factor) the raptor does, so to me that means if I end up selling it in a few years, I will probably fair better with a raptor.

16mpg in a half ton? My 2006 CDT gets a reliable 18-20 on the highway and it's lifted sitting on 315-70 17's. with a ton of recovery gear in the bed. (well maybe not a ton LOL)

Excuse my ignorance, what is a CDT?

I hear that! I start looking at the FWC option...then add up everything you need to support the camper...see the bank account get empty right quick.

Could go the Flip Pac way, and not be too concerned with Payload. They feel more open on the inside than a traditional popup camper.

Might give up a little in comfort, but will get in the high teens for mpg's....would work on the EcoDiesel then.

Could build something like this under $30K if you're patient. Used 1/2 ton crew cab for $20K...I see used Flip Pacs come up on the used market from $1500-3000 time to time.

FlipPacHome013.jpg

$20k crew cab will most likely have some miles added to it, and back to suspension/wheels/tires cost + fuel mileage ~= Raptor

I've had several diesels and now a big block Yukon XL. The diesels had slightly more power than my current big block, but not by much. What the diesels had was increased MPG. BUT when you factor in the increased cost of diesel fuel AND the increased maintenance cost, it came really close to a wash for me. Any part that has to be replaced on a diesel seems twice what a similar part would be on a gasser. I think the total cost per mile (including maintenance and fuel) is less on a big block.

As has already been stated, little things and people add weight quickly. I rolled my rig across the scales one time. After adding camping gear, people and fuel my suburban weighed in at a little over 8klbs. I think complete empty weight is around 6,500lbs. That's why in mine (and many people's) opinion it's best to start from a 3/4 ton platform. When I switched from a pickup to the Yukon XL, I couldn't be happier. If I was going to really want to be nimble I'd get an add on tent like this one HERE There's probably better ones out there, I just found this with a quick Google in order to show you what I was thinking. This way you can sleep in the suburban / yukon and use the tent space for dressing, cooking, lounging etc.

Just my 2 cents. But honestly I think expoing (in my very, very limited experience) can be done many different vehicles. It's all about which comforts you want, and how much you want to modify. But I've been able to take vehicles in places I was really surprised that were not heavily modified for offroad use. So I would focus on vehicles that fit your family and comfort needs well before you choose one with offroad prowess.

I do like this idea since I already have a 2004 Z71 tahoe, but my issue with this particular truck is that it has 170k miles, and the electronics are becoming a pain in the ***. 4wd still doesn't work (changed the selector, transfer case encoder, fuses, gounding), ac system has a mind of it's own, front and rear, and now CEL are popping up.
My wife also doesn't feel comfortable relying on it in BFE.

I have a Diesel Jeep, Same engine and Transmission as the Ram. It works quite well for me. Some people, both Jeep and Ram, have had issues, most do not. If I was looking at a full-size truck camper, I did look into them, I would get a 250/2500. Get a non-DEF diesel. A 4-5 yo truck will cost less to insure, less exise tax, cheaper.

I will be on the look out for a 250 (6.7L) / 2500 also.
I need to make a spreadsheet lol

I think the OP may be approaching or at 3/4T payloads,I have never regretted moving up from a 1/2T to a 3/4T.
Diesel or gas,both have tradeoffs,pick your poison.
I don't see filling the DEF tank as an issue,I think I am on my 2nd tank of DEF at 7K miles,but I may have forgotten a tank.
An empty DEF tank is not something that will take you by surprise,DEF is readily available,and cheap at Wal-Mart.
I do like the diesel's exhaust brake when going down a grade.
Is this truck going to be a daily driver or a vehicle used on trips?

I might reconsider the extent of our camping payload, since we will realistically camp, total time, one month out of the year. I don't want 1/12th of the plan to make the 11/12th regrettable.
I never seen DEF fluid as a big issue myself, not anymore. It has gotten a lot cheaper, and is no different than going any filling up washer fluid, or topping off coolant.
It's main duty will be for trips and weekend running. My other vehicles that I have are my wife's '14 Forester (lien), My daily 98 Rt4wd CRV >250k miles(paid), and another daily that will probably be repaired and sold, '04 Z71 tahoe 170k miles (paid)

KAkers

I don't think any of the half tons are rated for a camper. Mine has a sticker that warns against using a camper.
Modern half tons are lighter duty than they used to be.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
Just remember the Raptor has a #950 pound payload. 4 grown men and beer and you'll be over it...

The new power wagon has coils on all four corners the ride is a lot better, still rides like a truck, but better. I have a 2500 with the 6.4 that has the coils and I love it, over 3k payload and 15k towing, it does everything I would ever need to do with it

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I don't think any of the half tons are rated for a camper. Mine has a sticker that warns against using a camper.
Modern half tons are lighter duty than they used to be.

Modern half tons are far from lighter duty than they used to be. A modern half ton is about equivalent to a 3/4 ton from the 80s and older trucks. My father in law has an 83 gmc 3/4 ton truck. It's payload capacity is only 2900 pounds. That's nothing compared to modern trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinStick

Explorer
I can't speak for anyone else, but I did NOT buy our PW for a "cool factor" at all. I bought it for it's off-road prowess in bone stock form. It is still the only full sized (3/4ton) truck that has front & rear lockers, that can articulate the way it does, has a 12,000 lb winch (actually, the exact same specs as the M15,000) & mine is geared like a tractor. Lower than even a Jeep Rubicon w/4.10's, 4.46:1 first gear, 4.0:1 lo range & a manual transmission = 73:1 crawl ratio.
Mine is 6.29:1 first gear, 4.56's in the axles & 2.72:1 lo range = 78.016:1 crawl ratio. Mine is a jack of all trades vehicle. Right now, it takes me to work & back in the worst winter weather with ease & tows our 10,500 lb camper with ease.

Only you can decide what is right for you & your family.

4 of me & the Raptor would be overloaded. If you tow with it, your load had better be 85-90% over the trailers axles or it will squat to the ground. The Raptor is more of a specialty truck than the PW is by far. The new 1/2 tons can tow as much or more than my PW. Wait a year or 2 & you will be able to get a Nissan Titan XD w/5.0L Cummins Turbo Diesel w/550 lb ft of torque. That should have good mpg and plenty of power.

Happy hunting & have fun with it.

secretcitizen

Just remember the Raptor has a #950 pound payload. 4 grown men and beer and you'll be over it...

The new power wagon has coils on all four corners the ride is a lot better, still rides like a truck, but better. I have a 2500 with the 6.4 that has the coils and I love it, over 3k payload and 15k towing, it does everything I would ever need to do with it

Which is why I am debating on just going with a RTT. The majority of the time this truck will be unloaded while hitting a back road, taking it to work a day or two out of the week, and date nights.

* edit after reading the above comment.

I might just have to go drive them both , if possible, back to back and assess what I really want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior