Anyone here have a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel?

secretcitizen

I am having a difficult time finding the right truck. Now we all know there is no PERFECT vehicle.
I've looked at F150, Silverado, Tundra, Titan, and now the 1500 RAM.
Dodge has always been my least preferred of the big three, but the ecodiesel had peaked my interest as a trail/ overland camping rig.
It is contradictory to want a truck and to want a reasonable fuel mileage, but I do want the best overall for my money for my needs, regardless of brand.

Plans
Overlanding in all of North America (Alaska to Mexican border)
- Will purchase a pop-up style bed camper, so payload and be size is a consideration
- I will not be doing rock crawling in moab, but I do want it capable enough to explore some remote areas of NA.

Must haves

- Room in the cab, I have a wife, Two boys, and a dog. (Which is why a light duty, taco or frontier is ruled out)
- Ability to rely on it in remote areas
- Lowest cost per mile overall

If you do have one of these truck what are your opinions on these trucks for my plans?

If you don not have one, what are some other suggestions you have for me that I might have over looked?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I don't have one, I daily drive a Ram 3500 diesel. I would have a few other truck higher on my list if I was in the market for a 1/2 ton. The only thing going for the eco-diesel is the fuel range and economy, but the tradeoffs are so far un-reliable and un-tested motor. I would look to the F-150 personally. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi and I love it. Personally I wouldn't buy an ECO Diesel, its all good when the systems are functioning properly however alot of diesels including the ecodiesel will continue to have issues with their after treatment systems as the after treatment systems are still relatively new. I'm sure the motor will hold its own, but having to fill up DEF, Re Gen etc.. Turns me off. My Hemi gets reasonable fuel economy considering its got 2.5" lift and 35's. I average around 16-17L/100kms city and as low as 12L/100 Highway. Getting roughly 600kms to 100L of fuel. Hope this helps

Clutch

<---Pass
Unfortunately, the payload is pretty light for the EcoDiesel under 1300 lbs according Ram's website, link HERE with your needs you're over capacity pretty quick. Typical base model pop-up is around 900 lbs dry, then add supplies like water, propane, food, clothes, cookware, what you and the kids weigh...you're maxed out in a hurry.

Spec-wise, F150 is probably a good bet...or a 3/4-1 Ton, would be even a better bet. Everything is a compromise.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Nice trucks,but the one write-up of a guy who did a very mild lift and bigger tires on an Ecodiesel lost 3 mpg. That's very similiar to any of the 1/2 tons when you raise them and put some realistic tires on them.
My neighbor's only averaging 15 mpg combined out of his Ecoboost,2wd with new stock Michelins. Quick sucker though.
I'd stick with a 3/4 ton regardless for the stouter drivetrain,frame and excess payload.

secretcitizen

Thanks for the quick responses.
F150s tend to be what I am always pointed back towards. The issue I'm having with these is; after purchase price of a fx4 (5.0 or EB) + wheels/tires + suspension, I am already in raptor cost and around the same mileage. I've honestly just considered a Raptor right of the bat too. They can be found <$40k with <50k miles. Then there is also the payload concern too of a raptor.. SMH

I wouldn't mind a 3/4-1ton but I'm concerned with the overall length of one.
If I would do a HD it would most likely be a RAM, the 6.7L F250-350 are still high at the moment.

Clutch

<---Pass
I wouldn't mind a 3/4-1ton but I'm concerned with the overall length of one.

It is all a compromise, you can see an awful lot in a big truck.

http://expeditionportal.com/vehicle-feature-of-the-week-dodge-power-wagon/

P1076501.jpg

MoRogers

Observer
the raptor is cool because you honestly don't need to mod it out the gate. But the gas mileage quickly eats up those savings over time I suspect, compare to the Ecoboost. Of course payload would make matters worst in that regards. I personally have an Ecoboost 2013, and havnt had any problems with the motor to date(23k miles in). It's exceptionally spacious and easy to maintain thus far. I have Upgraded the suspension and tires to 35" and I'm still averaging 16 mpg loaded. I have a wife an 3 dogs and nobody crys about space on road trips, just food and pee breaks.

Big50

Adventurer
If you really want the raptor, you can swap out the stock springs for a more heavier duty progressive springs. Atlas makes some for under a grand. Everything else on the raptor is beefier so should do just fine for you.

Also, a Raptor will hold it's resale value better than pretty much any other truck. Even with the new one coming in 2017, I think the big 6.2 will keep it in high demand over the new ecoboost.

secretcitizen

Something that just came to mind that MIGHT make me take a F150 over a Raptor.... Insurance.
I'm 30 with a clean record, but I am almost positive the regular F150 full coverage will be less than the SVT.

TwinStick

Explorer
I absolutely LOVE my Dodge Power Wagon. But, I absolutely HATE the 8-10 mpg empty or loaded---don't matter a bit, on stock size tires. It is now paid for, so it's a keeper. Anything & everything has it's trade-offs. Only you can decide. Definitely 3/4t & up though. Stuff adds up in a hurry. Better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.

2008 Dodge Power Wagon w/G56 6-speed manual.

Good luck.

Side note on the eco-diesel: it has been used in Europe for years with good results. Some weird maintenance though: trans oil pan is plastic/composite of some sort & the trans filter is permanently attached to it. So, every 30,000 miles you or the dealer ($$$$) has gotta do that to maintain warranty. $350 for the part from dealer. $250 on line. Dealer wants like $700+ to do the job.

I test drove a crew cab 4x4 eco diesel. Cleared the computer before we left. 28 mile drive of city & 55 mph. Computer said i averaged 28.9 mpg on my drive. I had a few stop lights & got it up to 80, 2x in the country. I was impressed. A far cry from my 8-10 mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles