Introducing... La Baja Bus

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
So I did something crazy today- either inspired or insane, or a little of both remains to be seen: I bought a small passenger bus, to be gradually turned into a light-duty overlander.

image.jpg

Frankly, one reason I bought this vs. other options was to (hopefully!) avoid the new parking regulations in my city. Anyone with an RV or trailer now is limited to how many days they can park in front of their house on the street, and have to purchase an overnight permit. Any oversize vehicle longer than 27 feet and over 7 feet tall is likewise restricted.

But here's the key: She's a 1997 Ford E450 Powerstroke passenger bus, 24 feet long and impressively tall- but not over 27' long, and the regs say 27' AND over 7' tall. So- I think I'm in the clear (or will be parking at a friends commercial space). And she can't appear too much like an RV.

image.jpg

So far- that's not an issue. She sports dualies in the rear, that I may need to swap out soon, and 7.3 liters of (soon to be) bio-diesel burning brute strength idling noisily under the hood up front. I've read it tows like a champ and has a hitch on the rear to do so if required.

Starts easiy and rumbles like a boss. We rolled down the freeway today on the way home, using cruise control- a small version of the big busses going past (I kept it under 65 for the shakedown ride).

Tall fiberglass body, no leaks after a big rain storm this weekend (but in need of some scrubbing/oxidation removal). Three of the windows pop out for emergency access- or to better catch a Pacific breeze on a warm Baja beach and pass cold cervezas out to friends.

Heavy duty hydraulic wheelchair lift in the rear to easily load Pelican ice chest, kayaks, bikes, people who don't like stairs, and camping gear.
image.jpg
Inside: pretty bare bones. Eight passenger seats w/seatbelts that fold up flat against the sides, out of the way, once our group has arrived. (Conceivably I could add more, but then the commercial driver license becomes an issue. I used to have one, when guiding trips to Mt. Whitney, Joshua Tree etc., but it's lapsed.)
image.jpg image.jpg

I figure, after arrival, the bus can become base camp: kitchen/bar, living room, dining room and/or bunkhouse, depending on the elements and travelers. Over time I may add a basic bathroom/shower combo, though if the weather's warm an outdoor shower would be fine (and most places I plan to go have bathrooms).

The goal: to take people into Baja to experience whales, wine and wilderness and enjoy the scenery along the way. I've been doing these trips in Baja for 30 years, often several per year, and want to share it with others without them needing to drive if they aren't comfortable, at least for the first trip.
image.jpg

Our maiden voyage: end of March, over spring recess, with family and friends travelling to the gray whale lagoons on the Pacific side.

Initial plan: add simple, lightweight shelving/storage to interior. Check out biodiesel conversion requirements. Figure out which camping items will work well, inside & out (the lift will make moving things much simpler).

Intermediate: Look for RVs/trailers being parted out for useful items to build.

As for the fun stuff: Organize trips to Guadalupe Valley wine tasting. Go kayaking with whale sharks in Bahia de Los Angeles. Other Baja/Southwest US adventures TBD.

I will update periodically, but probably won't have a lot to report right away. I'd rather spend the money going places and having fun, vs. designing the perfect vehicle.

Your helpful suggestions, ideas, recommendations on biodiesel, interior design, general outfitting etc. welcome!

adelatoa

Adventurer
Subscribed!!! You're a little nut. But every one of those 'think' Apple campaign geniuses were a little nut in away. And they were being celebrated

rayra

Expedition Leader
Needs a nice plush sofa-bed, with added seatbelts.

Needs a fold down exterior side counter for food / fish prep and cooking. An awning. Water tankage, shower off the stern.

Needs a wild paintjob.

partridgebus02.jpg

Had a TV industry freelance cameraman neighbor that bought a similar airport / hotel shuttle bus and turned it into a rental portable TV production / direction bus. Long counter down one wall full of screens and working counter, the other side plush seats for bosses / supervisors, full equipment rack across the back interior, 'hidden camera' positions behind the driver side and in the cabover portion. Really a cool setup.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Needs a nice plush sofa-bed, with added seatbelts.

Needs a fold down exterior side counter for food / fish prep and cooking. An awning. Water tankage, shower off the stern.

Needs a wild paintjob.

partridgebus02.jpg

Had a TV industry freelance cameraman neighbor that bought a similar airport / hotel shuttle bus and turned it into a rental portable TV production / direction bus. Long counter down one wall full of screens and working counter, the other side plush seats for bosses / supervisors, full equipment rack across the back interior, 'hidden camera' positions behind the driver side and in the cabover portion. Really a cool setup.

Couch- hmmm, maybe fold-down style bed, attached to wall or roof (a la "Das Bus")?

Exterior shelf/table- definitely! Awning- have a sturdy free standing one ready to go. Water storage/shower- agreed, need to research.

Paint job- nothing too wild. Possibly Baja landscape/ocean/marine mammal theme: a few cirios and cardons on stern, orcas on port, gray whales on starboard, whale sharks TBD... again, need to research.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Administrative battles, step 1: DMV

Usually I go to Auto Club for vehicle paperwork- faster, close to home, etc. So yesterday after class (I'm a teacher) I went to the office 1 block from my home and was told "we don't do busses."

OK- fortunately, DMV is only 1 mile away, but it was 4:30... and they close at 5. AND the AA clerk pointed out issues with the pink slip that I wasn't aware of (it was a business owned vehicle in its previous life, and lacked some extra details required for a transfer).

My first attempt to call the business failed- no answer, no recorded message. Uh oh...

En route to DMV I panicked- did the sellers dump a bus on me that could not be registered? The sellers- once very attentive to my calls/texts- never replied to my questions. Hmmm...

Once in line at DMV I got a "wait for this # to be called" ticket and used my smartypants phone to look up the business again. >ah HA!<- Found a 2nd listing, with a phone that was answered.

I asked a few questions: Yes, this was their business name. The title was signed by __________ (hard to decipher) and his business title was ___________. I furiously scribbled in the Information just as my # was called.... walked up to the desk and handed over the title and bill of sale at 4:55 pm.

A few minutes and a few hundred $$ later, I left DMV with a new registration and sticker in hand. Thank you smartypants phone!

I am now the official owner of La Bus. She was officially stickered this morning- no ticket! So far, so good...

Next: insurance and sorting out city parking regulations, or "what the heck kind of vehicle is this, anyway?"

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
La Bus Chronicles: trashed suspension, deferred maintenance and parking regs, oh my!

Nothing exciting, hands-on to report. It's 90 degrees here in San Diego today- so after driving La Bus around Friday, getting a few things checked out, I've been staying indoors and researching online vs. doing any hands on work.

La Bus continues to present challenges, as any 18 year old car will do, and since I teach Mon-Thu, I spend Fridays taking the bus to various shops. I'm working on solving the challenges I have them diagnose- or at least understanding what they are, then finding others who can solve them for me (I teach Information Technology, not auto repair!).

Here's what I found out this week:

Alignment: the front end is trashed, per the first shop I went to that could handle this size rig. They are a high-end shop that does a lot of insurance work on expensive cars (judging by the ones I see in their lot) so I respect their assessment, but tell them I need to do a little more research before deciding how to proceed.

Next day, here on ExPo I find a link to www.agileoffroad.com (thanks for that tip!) and discover the owner is a neighbor! He and I met this morning, and I hope to get the work done by his shop, which specializes in 4X4 conversions of Ford E350, so finding the right parts is no problem. He also owns a house in Baja, and drives 2 Sportsmobile-styled vans, so he knows how to make La Bus more of a Baja-ready, raised platform at a better price than the first shop quoted. (They would likely be great if I wanted to go into the shuttle bus business vs. traveling in Baja.)

In the meantime- the two front tires are shot from the terrible alignment, so...

Used tires: After hearing the bad news about the front end, I figured I will just get some inexpensive used tires to get me thru til I do the rebuild. I find a shop near home (trying to avoid a lot of driving right now) that puts what seems to be decent set on front - then get home and realize they have put the wrong grade tires on this beast. (I need grade E, they installed grade C.) Negotiating a return.... So much to learn about this XXL size vehicle.

Fluids: go to shop to check various fluids, and try recharging AC system w/freon. We can see a terrible leak in front (inside engine compartment). Need to find an AC shop...

Oil seems full and clean. Based on the shop sticker on the windshield- appears to have been changed 1 year ago, and it's still 3000 miles to go before next recommended change. I call the shop that did the work (about 100 miles from here) to ask about the maintenance history. All goes well initially, then the guy gets spooked and tells me he needs permission from previous owner to release records.

Call Previous owner- he is a jerk. Based on his reaction, I suspect he is operating a shady auto re-sale business and doesn't want any scrutiny. After trying to ask nicely about the maintenance records I hang up and realize it's a dead-end. I'll have to proceed without the Information.

Parking: I'm in the city, and my driveway is short even by city dimensions, so La Bus is on the street in front of my house. Last year in San Diego they changed parking regulations: no RVs/trailers/boats allowed on streets without a fee-based permit, and for no more than 72 days/year. "Oversized" vehicles also prohibited: over 27 feet AND taller than 7 feet, within 50' of intersection, etc. etc.

image.jpg

One reason I chose La Bus was to be able to park legally on the street: she is "only" 24' long, and while over 7' tall, I learned that having the disabled persons wheelchair lift means she is exempt from the "oversize" definition. Unfortunately, I learned this after consulting with the Police Dept. parking office.

Parking is at a premium on my street (the condo conversions behind us lack enough spaces), so I suspect a neighbor called to complain about me taking up "their" space. They also thought I was not aware of these new regulations and posted a photocopied notice on my windshield.

Thank you, helpful neighbor- now please stop calling the local parking officer- I can park in front of my house, OK?
Sigh... any wonder why I want to spend more time in Baja?

Once I hear back from the Agile Offroad shop I'll have more to report on the lift kit/suspension upgrades.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
I get that you're ducking under the "oversize" vehicle, but are you going to be able to avoid the "recreational" label?
As vaguely as that's written, it would seem that anything that isn't used for daily transportation would thus be "used primarily for recreational purposes."

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Good point.

Acc to the person I talked to, if it's not set up for sleeping, cooking, or bathing it's not an RV. So I won't be permanently installing those features. I'll have the components ready to be set up when I arrive at camp, but hopefully it won't look like an RV otherwise.

(Apparently the concern was people sleeping in their vehicles and living in them while parked in neighborhoods.)

hove102

Adventurer
Subscribed! I'm a big fan of this whole "ExPo Bus" trend that's going around right now and I can't wait to see where you take this thing. The way I see it, it's just the next step past a Sportsmobile. :coffeedrink:

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
Acc to the person I talked to, if it's not set up for sleeping, cooking, or bathing it's not an RV.

I know that's what it takes to title and register a vehicle as an RV, but this parking ordinance is written much more broadly. As cool as that bus is, I think your neighbors are going to continue to give you a hard time.
But good luck, and keep us posted!

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
May updates: this will be a slow process. I'm teaching, and my semester ends in about a month. In June I'll have more time to put into La Bus and more information to report.

Agile Offroad did a great job last month rebuilding the front end of La Bus, adding heavy duty suspension and installing a solid set of tires. Turns out the owner is a neighbor, and we share various interests, including Baja. He converts 2WD vans into four-wheel-drive Sportsmobile style vehicles, so he had stock tires he had removed from other vehicles that worked perfectly on mine.

About the same time Agile did the suspension work my batteries died, so that set me back another chunk of change. As I recover from those repairs, and another week traveling in Baja with friends to go whale watching, I am working on other projects and building up the bank account to do some additional work.

One thing I've noticed during recent Baja trips: There are many of these buses down in Baja, where they are commonly used for public transit. So I'm considering taking La Bus south to have more work done. The mechanics here kind of scratch their heads at times, because it is such a non-standard design.

The mechanic who replaced the batteries noticed some squeaks in the water pump and other odd noises, so I suspect it needs to have some work done. I think the engine is basically sound but it's got almost 300K miles so…

Meanwhile: No major problems with parking the bus out front, on the street, so long as I move it every 72 hours. Unfortunately I did get a ticket on my truck for parking in the driveway and obstructing the sidewalk. (When they built this housing tract in the 50s some of the driveways were very short, including mine.)

I'm trying not to take this personally...

After someone put a notice on La Bus advising me that it was illegal to park it in front of my house, I called the parking abatement office and found out they specifically exempt busses w/a disabled-wheelchair lift from the city's new oversize vehicle regulations. So... There's that in my favor.

I really envy those of you who live in more rural/less regulated places that don't have all these restrictions. San Diego is my home town, but I would love to have space to park my vehicles and work on them at leisure. That's expensive around here, and not the reality in my current neighborhood.

However I'm partnering with people on other projects who do have more space, and it may be possible for me to use those areas if necessary.

I will update again, as I approach my summer recess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz