Lhanson 1st Gen Tundra Build

rickashay

Explorer
Theres lots of ability to increase departure if your willing to chop the bedsides. It raises the bodyline dramatically and I'd rather drag on a beefy plate bumper vs. the factory bedsides anyday... Do one like the Tacoma above, very very realistic with the Tundra.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
So you plan on doing similar bumper style as one above?

That is my tundra. I'm gonna cut the bed slides and add the armor to the current bumper. Even with 32s I can still manage my way in moab and drag the bumper in a few places but barely. I don't need the high clearance/ chop bed sides but in Mojave I dropped off a ledge and rolled a rock up into my bed side and bumper. Basically dent the under side of the bed side. So it needs to be chopped lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lhanson

Adventurer
That is my tundra. I'm gonna cut the bed slides and add the armor to the current bumper. Even with 32s I can still manage my way in moab and drag the bumper in a few places but barely. I don't need the high clearance/ chop bed sides but in Mojave I dropped off a ledge and rolled a rock up into my bed side and bumper. Basically dent the under side of the bed side. So it needs to be chopped lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly my concern! I do offroad on trails with some good sized rocks so if I'm going to do a rear bumper I want to do it right. What bumper are you running?

lhanson

Adventurer
Theres lots of ability to increase departure if your willing to chop the bedsides. It raises the bodyline dramatically and I'd rather drag on a beefy plate bumper vs. the factory bedsides anyday... Do one like the Tacoma above, very very realistic with the Tundra.

I am thinking along those lines. I'm wondering how it would look cause our tail is so long haha. I wouldn't run a tire swing out. I would most likely mount spare in bed front left against bed side.

Seen any photos of this style bumper on a tundra??

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Exactly my concern! I do offroad on trails with some good sized rocks so if I'm going to do a rear bumper I want to do it right. What bumper are you running?

Brute force fab front and rear bumper. PM if your interested. I'm good friends with the owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lhanson

Adventurer
So a little update. I have been doing a lot to the truck lately. Its almost done with a few things to wrap up and wire ect. For my Tech 454L class this summer I decided to design and build a telescoping roof top tent rack, that would keep the roof top tent at roof level and extend high enough to walk under it. With the help of some class mates and SRD (Strategic Racing Designs of Vista, CA) it was born. The Tepui Atuna Sky will be arriving this weekend as well as a pair of Baja Designs Squadron Sports for rear and XL Pros for the front bumper. This will be show cased next week once everything is mounted!

I had to have the shop that installed the coils onto coil overs and align truck re do it and install steering rack bushings and tie rods. Some how it was over looked. Replaced outer tie rods with moog (much beefier and grease able zerk fitting) and polyutheran steering rack bushings. All is better now and tracks straight and minor rubbing to be had in front finally. Luckily this was completed the day of departure for Mammoth Nationals Mountain Bike race. Here are some photos from the trip. We managed to cram 6 people and a whole lotta bikes. I did the seat mod and needless to say it didnt help to much ha.
Some falls Mammoth Lakes, CA

Crazy Mineshaft that we went off roading into! Miles of exploration in there and boy was it pitch black. Glad I had the Baja Designs OnX6 light bar on.

Sorry for the poor renders these were straight from my 6D to iPhone.

I am working on updating my Photography Instagram so feel free to stop by: lhansonphotography

Next adventure in line is Crested Butte, CO Aug 4th-10th to visit Great Grandma. Anyone have some good wheeling suggestions in that area? Paradise Divide is on the list.

dyogim

Explorer
Wonder how this would look with bed so long in rear of the 1st gen tundra. I kinda want a plate style bumper like this with out the tire carrier and a hidden hitch behind lic plate.

Something like this?:

usAkixkxZpP_zd8_UNUdQZqgABuxmzeGbySzNJicS6U=w948-h711-no

lhanson

Adventurer
Something like this?:

usAkixkxZpP_zd8_UNUdQZqgABuxmzeGbySzNJicS6U=w948-h711-no

I was planning on that but now I think I am going to build a simple one. I plan on getting a brand new tacoma after graduating this year (Deff the second run of new model) or possibly a chevy Colorado in Diesel.

drobb

Adventurer
Nice! Where is the cave at?

I was in Mammoth on Sunday morning for a minute. I lived there for two years.

Ditto on the cave location. I was up at Mammoth a few weeks ago for the MX races. Would have been fun to go cave exploring also.

lhanson

Adventurer
I just wanted to let everyone know that my shopping experience with Candle Power was great. I got a set of Osram's 64205 (70/65W) Ultra-high efficacy +50 H4 bulbs to replace my dull tired bulbs in my stock housings. I reconditioned the headlight as well so should be plenty of more light. I wanted a good set of brighter head lights that where good for daily use. If I ever need a lot of light I have 2 Baja Designs XL Pros and a 20in Baja Designs OnX6 to light the way with a mere 22,700 lumens ;)

These are the bulbs I got: http://store.candlepower.com/64205.html Timmy Franklin was the gentleman and proud grandpa I spoke with. :friday: To hard working nice folks out there.

lhanson

Adventurer
So up date time. We had a little bit of mechanical issues before CO. Unfortunately I had to replace my motor.

Now I have 2 New CV axels (Brand New Kragen Ones Limited Lifetime Warranty), New Used Motor 110k Miles on it: Thank you to Carl and Glen at Gensis Automotive Repair in Covina, CA! Did an incredible job and were very fair on pricing.

Finally got to mount my Tepui Autana Sky and get out for a quick trip. I will post a video of the telescoping rack the next time I go out.

Here are two rough pictures from my trip:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier