Newb Here with a question

Hey guys i just wanted to get your take on what land rovers i should be looking at, or is my budget to low and i should start looking at the xterras :/. I love the look of the land rover, and looks like there would be a lot more room to take out the back seats and camp inside if i had to. I was in the price range of 20-30 k and wanted something i wouldn't have to have in the shop all the time getting fixed. I have been looking at the old LR3s but if i want to keep it out of the shop do i need to be looking at 2010 LR 4s with less than 100k miles? I am doing research now, but would like to get anyones input, so it will save me a little time. Thanks :)

morrisdl

Adventurer
IMHO - the used LR3s are most economical to buy used and own. I have seen a few 2006 SE with just over 100k miles like mine under $10k. The HSEs get more money used because they were all up loaded with every option, but you can find a few SE with almost all the same options (only exception is memory seats and extra speakers). If you are willing to give up the air suspension and convert to coil springs then it would really be cheapest land rover in recent history to maintain. The RR-sport is same drive train (good and bad), but the smaller body has had a better residual value in the used market.

So do you think it's more wise to go with a lr3 with over 100k knowing your gunna sink some money on repairs and have a little more money for upgrades or getting a newer lr3/4 2008-2012 with less miles say 70-85k. My plan is to have those vehicle running offroad for a month at a time with some highway time getting to and from diff parks and then sitting a month in a garage while I'm at work.

99Discovery

Adventurer
With an LR4 pushing 80k you are STILL going to be looking at bags, compressors, and a cooling system overhaul as just general maintenance as you approach 100k.

While I've test driven and love the LR4 (haven't been behind the wheel of an LR3), you could probably be waaaaaay ahead with a 75-80k LR3 (in the $14-16k in Utah if IRC) and then spend $2~3k in maintenance and you'd have $10 for goodies!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
With an LR4 pushing 80k you are STILL going to be looking at bags, compressors, and a cooling system overhaul as just general maintenance as you approach 100k.

While I've test driven and love the LR4 (haven't been behind the wheel of an LR3), you could probably be waaaaaay ahead with a 75-80k LR3 (in the $14-16k in Utah if IRC) and then spend $2~3k in maintenance and you'd have $10 for goodies!

Agreed, and go '07-08...

Agreed, and go '07-08...
Are the 07/08s ranked better than the 09? IV been researching and found a couple of threads that show what I need to look at while test driving I am illiterate when it comes to engines or anything like that do you have any random tips that u used when purchasing yours? Thanks for all the help guys!!

Also does anyone sleep in the back with the seats out ever ? I'm only 5'10" so it shouldn't be a problem I don't think. Can't wait to purchase one to bad I can't go look at any around me that is a lr3 07/08 , what does irc in Utah mean btw?

morrisdl

Adventurer
2nd and 3rd row seats fold flat. I'm 5'10" and sleep back there with and without an air mattress.

DVD

Adventurer
I bought mine a 3 yrs ago w/ 93,000 on it (05 w/ HD package). So far, so good, currently at just over 130,000mi. The vehicle had good, thorough records. I've done maintenance and had to replace a few things, but nothing terrible.
First upgrade was 18 inch rims and good all terrain tires. And I changed all the diff and transfer case fluids right away, and then a year later, for that baseline. Everything looked good, so gave it 1.5 yr next time (just last weekend). Virtually no residue this time, so good to know I'm on top of that.

Sleeping was actually the reason we got an LR3. We sometimes camp in bear country, and my wife is concerned about tenting there. We have the 3rd row seats, but you can fold the 2nd and 3rd rows for an entirely flat surface. A full double air mattress fits fine. I keep the 3rd row down most all the time, but every once in while, it's very useful to have 7 seats.
As a cheapskate (or value seeker) I took a risk that the market value is skewed and LR3 is a good value. Time will tell, but so far, so good (knock on wood).

medicfernando

Adventurer
What do u think about taking all seats out in the back, It would only be me and my gf or me and a freind traveling no need for the back seats .
As has been pointed out, the seats fold completely flat so there is no need to remove them. I am 6'3" and fit comfortably with the seats flat and a thermarest. When looking for a good used one, look for one that has had the lower control arms replaced, otherwise negotiate about 900 buck off the price for replacement. My 06 has only 75,000 miles, rear locker and nav and is a great rig.

SailRover

Like previously mentioned for your price range '08 and '09 LR3 would be a great route for you. I purchased an '05 in 2008 w/ 90k miles. Loved it for the first 6 months. The next 6 not so much and got rid of it. With the heartache of still thinking about it for 5 years I tried again when I found a great deal on my '08 HSE 15 months ago. Only had 41k miles and HD pkg for $24k (much better deals now). Changed the fluids, rear brakes and been fantastic. 20-21 mpg @ 70 on the interstate. Way better than the 15 mpg I got out of my QX56.

Take your time and a deal will pop up. Just keep enough $ to get the IID Tool to compliment the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a reason to get the 08 instead of the 09 or is it just about looking for the best deal? What kind of price should I try to bargain and I'm not sure if it matters about miles anything under 100k since I will have to do the typical repairs anyways? Thanks for all the help guys can't wait to make this purchase!!

SailRover

Is there a reason to get the 08 instead of the 09 or is it just about looking for the best deal? What kind of price should I try to bargain and I'm not sure if it matters about miles anything under 100k since I will have to do the typical repairs anyways? Thanks for all the help guys can't wait to make this purchase!!

Price, mileage, & option content would be the only determining factors between the 08 & 09. If they're out there it would be completely reasonable either year loaded under 75k miles in the $20-$25k range in excellent condition. KBB & NADA are fairly spot on but you should be able to get one for a bit less than what those suggest. Of course that's what I see in the South East. Might be different up north or out west.

'10 and up you jump into the LR4 and while it's been a year since I've priced them used, I'd think they are still pushing $30k + with high miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome Thanks! i think i will start looking and hopefully get an 08/09 under 75k. I figured out that the first things to get done are replace the control arms, (i will know if they haven't been replaced from the banging noise when braking.) Replace air compressor, maybe the sunroof drain/fitting,maybe breaks. Do you guys know of anything else i should maybe look into? Also i see that none really lifts there vehicle just puts bigger tires and rims on, i guess i would say maybe an extra 5k for repairs and upgrades, do y'all think thats reasonable? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94