Mitsubishi Triton camper setup

motas

Adventurer
Hey all hoping someone can share some pictures/ideas of what they have done on a smaller dual cab ute to set it up for camping without a canopy. I want something I can easily put in and out of the tub so I can use it during the week to haul stuff around and on weekends just dump a whole setup in and go. A trailer is not an option as I need to tow with it. A flat bed is also not the direction I want to go. Ideally I would also have room to put a few mountain bikes, or kayak etc depending on the weekend activity.
I will be doing this custom and would like to do it pretty cheap so simple is better. I was thinking a frame mounted in the tub to the tie down points with some drawers, a pull out kitchen and a rack with a roof top tent on top of that and a small frame to put bikes over the top. Ideally i would like a roof top tent, engel, stove, sink, storage for tools and spares, some water storage, storage for chairs etc.
The vehicle is a dual cab Mitsubishi Triton, so similar size to a Hilux, Ranger, BT50 etc.

So anyone seen anything similar they might be able to share?
Cheers.

motoz

Adventurer
G'day mate, probably won't get too many bites round here as they don't sell Tritons in the US.
Here's a couple picks of a setup I made a while back.

b26362c38d843c1beaed63b04f7ca45c.jpg

736b98c2e25703685b7d44a807692661.jpg

Just a basic frame to hold the RTT and touring items. I had a 60lt ARB fridge and a large space case to carry all the food / cooking equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

motas

Adventurer
Yeah I knew they don't sell tritons but thought someone might have pics of a different ute.
That's similar to what I was looking at doing. Does your fridge fit under the cover?
Any likes/complaints things you'd change next time?
How do you like your rooftop tent?

Cheers.

motoz

Adventurer
Yeah I knew they don't sell tritons but thought someone might have pics of a different ute.
That's similar to what I was looking at doing. Does your fridge fit under the cover?
Any likes/complaints things you'd change next time?
How do you like your rooftop tent?

Cheers.

TBH I only build that rack for use on a couple of trips.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77382-Motoz-North-to-West-South-Australian-Expedition

We have since fitted a canopy and fully kitted out the rear storage area to suit our style of touring. As mentioned previous we had a 60lt ARB fridge and 80lt spacecase under there along with water, LPG gas, diesel etc.
Complaints about this setup... dust ingress, security and difficulty easily accessing what you want when you want it.

As far as the RTT goes. There great for touring though do get a little tedious setting / packing up every night while on the road after a few weeks.

M.Bas

Adventurer
I settled for a hardtop to mount the RTT on. :D
DSCN0245.jpg

First I also wanted a frame/rack to mount the RTT on, but the curvature of the tub made the manufacturer decline my request to build a slightly customized version of their standard design.
In the end this setup probably works better for me anyway so that worked out ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior