ProFlex problems

Yea, here ya go!

p4pb5726865.jpg

Nice! Where'd you get the kit?

p nut

butter
Just as a note/forewarning: Those single-pulley tensioners have been problematic for a lot of users. Surly also makes one. They either don't hold tension real well, or the spring gives out in a short time period. I would either get a double pulley like a Rohloff, or probably cheaper option is to just use your existing derailer.

What if I installed a solid bushing for the rear to eliminate the rear "suspension"? Would this solve the potential issues with chain tension on a single speed setup?

Last edited:

p nut

butter
That would make it possible to use a static tensioner, but really, there is no advantage that I see in doing that. Your existing derailer will work ok.

Overcoucher

should eliminate the problem, but why not just invest a few hundred in a hardtail?

Also some things to check if your bike seems inefficient:
-tires. Some newer tires with less rolling resistance can make a bike feel so much faster. It looks like your front tire is newer (or just properly inflated), so maybe just replace rear tire?
-Lube all moving parts, this includes:
chain, wheel bearings, derailleur pulleys (seriously!), and check bottom bracket, check to make sure pedals spin

As a previous poster said, make sure you spin cranks forward. In fact, with the bike up on a stand, remove the chain and spin the cranks. They should spin easily and freely. If they stop after less than a bunch of revolutions, check out your bottom bracket. If you have a loose ball bottom bracket, now would be a good time to repack it, if not, square bottom brackets are fairly cheap, just make sure you get the right spindle length to maintain the chainline.

Make sure both wheels are properly seated when riding. Wheels may spin easily off the bike, but if they are not straight on the bike they may rub, causing drag.

One thing I see at the shop a lot is people who have the bars/fork turned a full revolution, and it puts tension on the brake cables, dragging the brakes a bit. Twist the bars back, and problem solved. Might be something similar, or maybe the frame/wheels flex enough riding to cause brake drag. I see that sometimes as well. Check hub freeplay and spoke tension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles