Is there any expedition willys out there?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Another picture....

In general, it takes a different mindset completely to take one of these vehicles on a long trip. You have to think more like its a slow 4-wheel motorcycle, then pack and act accordingly.

SheepnJeep

Metcalf has an extremely cool flattie. I have a CJ that is basically stock. There is not a whole bunch of space available for gear. I sort of think about it like going backpacking. Everything has to fit in one bag or it isn't coming along. Kind of fun that way actually. What questions do you have before you buy?

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
I believe it is a 1942 MB. And once i get it running is there any upgrades to the motor other than doing a engine swap, because i really want to keep the original flathead but i just want more power out of it. And what is the best source to learn about willys and learn how to work on them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Weeds

Adventurer
I still have my 1953 3A I bought in 1969. The only way to get more power from a flathead is to replace it. The military vehicles from the 40's have a very week drivetrain that will not take any more torque.

You can probably contact Novak Enterprises and The Jeep Guy for more info. They have web sites.

Back in the 70's a friend of my dad's put a small v-6 in his 42' and broke 2 rear axels on the first mile of the Rubicon. This was when you could drive the Rubicon on 30" tires and no lockers.

Good Luck in your venture.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I believe it is a 1942 MB. And once i get it running is there any upgrades to the motor other than doing a engine swap, because i really want to keep the original flathead but i just want more power out of it. And what is the best source to learn about willys and learn how to work on them?

You can spend a LOT more money on the flathead and maybe get 10 more hp. That said, the stock engine will get the vehicle a lot of places. The biggest limitation with the stock engine is just about ANY kind of prolonged highway use. These vehicles like to go about 45mph in stock form honestly. You can push them faster but it isn't much fun. If you plan on needing to go faster than about 45mph it is worth looking at swapping the engine.

If is an all original 1942 MB/GPW the drivetrain isn't the most durable.....especially with the parts being 70+ years old now.

I'd like to hear what you want to do with it in the long run, that will probably have an effect on what I recommend changing/modifying.
If it is very original you should also think about the restoration factor.....

More pictures!

SheepnJeep

Stand by for some links to resources, I got a message saying a moderator had to approve my post. Probably because I added links.

gophere

Adventurer
When I think of Willys expedition, I picture this style. Grandpa had one back in the day. Love these trucks but they are so different from the little jeeps.
ee1a2c37a9685c0141333664bd966c4a.jpg

26e86d93f9f44ae1cdb84534e6a6ca76.jpg

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
Thankyou for all if the advice! What i really want to do is put 31x10.50 KM2s on it and a roll cage, and i want to be able to drive it 2-3 hours to my closest offroading place. What are the best modifications to the MB for this: engine swap, drive train upgrades? I have seen the novak conversions and i know the recomendend motors but i want to know what is the best motor to get and easiest to swap? And what i havent seen when swapping is the motor mounts for the new engine?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thankyou for all if the advice! What i really want to do is put 31x10.50 KM2s on it and a roll cage, and i want to be able to drive it 2-3 hours to my closest offroading place. What are the best modifications to the MB for this: engine swap, drive train upgrades? I have seen the novak conversions and i know the recomendend motors but i want to know what is the best motor to get and easiest to swap? And what i havent seen when swapping is the motor mounts for the new engine?

You CAN drive a flat fender 2-3 hours, but it takes a special kind of person. You will either love it or hate it. You'll know after the 1st time.

There really isn't a ton of stuff that is honestly that good on an original flat fender, especially the military ones. Once you start changing things problems tend to cascade through all the other parts.

The most interesting engine swap I have seen lately for super-stocker type vehicles is the small Kubota diesel engine swaps. You get all the benefits of fuel injection but everything is mechanical in nature. These engines are similar in HP to the stock engine but have a better torque curve and are just better all-around. If I was going to build a more stock flat fender that is the direction I would go.

In your case. The stock transmission, the T84 is kinda meh. The stock transfer case is the weakest of the D18s with the smallest intermediate shaft. The rear axle, the Dana 23(?) full floater has known issues with axle strength. If your going to be rebuilding things there are ways to make most of the those parts better without loosing the classic feel of the vehicle.

Personally, I think any flat fender that you want to drive on a modern road need to have the brakes and steering upgraded to more modern systems. The stock stuff is really pretty bad compared to any modern vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior