TIME FOR A NEW VEHICLE

ATXzombie

Observer
well my cherokee gave up the ghost, doesnt really matter to me since i wasnt in love with it. since my budget is around 4 grand i was torn between two vehicles. a trailblazer or an xterra. we are a family of 4 and a dog, we like to go surf fishing so we drive on the beach at times. we camp, we fish, we love outdoors. i am a general motors mechanic so i know the trailblaer fairly well, i have minimal experience with the xterra ive done timing belts water pumps and the like on em. i have 0 plans for some wild build with an sas as a rock crawler.
any advice will be greatly appreciated

I would go with the Trailblazer since you have experience working on them. We have an 06 which has been pretty good. Only a few small annoying things have gone out on it (fan bearing on the water pump, thermostate, rear window wiper motor). Other than that, it has been a pretty good vehicle. While your options are limited for bolt on modifications, it can be done. There are a few build up threads in the full size forum here.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
well my cherokee gave up the ghost, doesnt really matter to me since i wasnt in love with it. since my budget is around 4 grand i was torn between two vehicles. a trailblazer or an xterra. we are a family of 4 and a dog, we like to go surf fishing so we drive on the beach at times. we camp, we fish, we love outdoors. i am a general motors mechanic so i know the trailblaer fairly well, i have minimal experience with the xterra ive done timing belts water pumps and the like on em. i have 0 plans for some wild build with an sas as a rock crawler.
any advice will be greatly appreciated

Better chance of finding a trailblazer in decent shape in your price range vs the Xterra. Trail blazer has more space and will get better mileage also. I vote Trailblazer hands down. Good luck take your time find that mint one for the right price.

bobfoe95

I think that the Xterra will offer the better offroad performance since you can get it with an offroad package. I however would go for the trailblazer. All around better rig.

SlowJoe

What about fixing the Cherokee? I am assuming you mean an XJ and not the grand? If so, they are some of the most reliable vehicles out there these days. You can put a whole new drivetrain in it for your budget and drive it another 200-300K miles...

MrWesson

Adventurer
My vote is for an older 4runner but newest you can find.

I have a WJ(2nd one) and I'm sick of working on it all the time.

I'm going to replace it with a Toyota.. Either a FJ80 or 4runner as a 3rd vehicle or something newish as a 2nd.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Family of four, with a dog? Trail Blazer. Cargo space in the Xterra is kinda small, even if you strapped everything on the roof.

nasko

Adventurer
No experience with the Trail Blazer, so take that for what it is worth. I love my Xterra, have a 2005 manual, it has taken me everywhere I wanted to go and back. Tows my boat fine, pretty powerful. Nice over all truck, a little hard to get into the back seats, but spacious once in. Cheers and good luck

dar395

Adventurer
I know for the money I'd be looking for a Suburban I know it's not one that you asked about but you can even get the Vortex motors all the way back to 1998. Over the years (40 or so) I've never been let down by these very capable vehicles. Half ton with the 5.7 4wd 3.73 read-end gets around 20 mpg on the highway. The Utility model or work truck with out electric 4wd (shift handle) is close to flawless, large brakes and a great frame for go any where. Lots of bolt on upgrades and even shocks all the way around. And hey look where you live Texas no less, burb should be on the list.

Hope you find what will meet your needs.:sombrero:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I was going to suggest a suburban, TONS of room, power and comfort. My 05 is living a hard life but still kickin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz