Thoughts on Wilderness EMT Schools?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'd appreciate any recommendations with respect to the various dedicated Wilderness EMT programs as offered by the likes of

• SOLO
  • Wilderness Medicine Institute (National Outdoor Leadership School)
  • Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA)
  • Aerie Backcountry Medicine
  • Center for Wilderness Safety
  • Remote Medical International

I'm most familiar with NOLS as a friend who was a director for them in Africa had to take their WEMT as part of his job.

My objective is _not_ to pursue a career as a WEMT, but to develop real skills in an area that is important to me - there have been times when I would have like to been able to help people in the back country / third world but did not have the skills.

peneumbra

Explorer
I think NOLS overall is a very good and highly regarded school; I've never taken their class but I've known a few people who have, and they seemed quite competent in backcountry situations.

The National Park Service (NPS) Parkmedic program is perhaps the best overall program in the U.S., the only drawback being that it's limited, of course, to NPS personnel. There was some talk a few years ago about opening it up to other agencies, but I don't think that's happened.

One of the things you run into when confronting these backcountry incidents as a casual first responder (e.g., showing up on scene as a private individual) is that you won't have all the gear you'd need with you, unless you're cruising around with a fully stocked ALS ambulance. So my experience is that it can be very frustrating to have the knowledge and experience to handle, say, a person having an MI (cardiac issue) or a gunshot wound or whatever, BUT not having the equipment to care for them. This has happened to me, three times, I think, and in two of those cases the patient did not survive.

Having said all that, it's still far better to have basic skills when one is in the wilderness than not to have any, obviously. I hope you find a training program that meets your needs.

bdj238

I have a lot of friends who have been through SOLO and WMA and it really depends on where you are going and the budget you have. At this moment I would probably go with WMA as they seem to be a little bit more in depth from what I hear but many of my friends who have been through SOLO equally enjoyed their experiences there.

Personally I have my WFR through SOLO and greatly enjoyed the course and got a lot from it. Let us know what you decide.

Arclight

SAR guy
I think it's more about the instructor than the actual school. If you can, talk to someone who has first or second-hand knowledge of the programs in your area. The director of your local university's outdoor rec program has probably had to take more than one of these, or has sent their staff out to them. You might ask ski patrol and SAR folks near you as well.

Also, some of them might have a different "flavor." The NOLS WEMT bridge class I took was clearly geared towards outdoor group leaders. I have heard of other programs oriented more towards people who are nurses or other medical professionals. The cost is usually associated with the level of additional stuff they're providing. Mine was "You can sleep in the field behind the rec center if you want to." But others offer catered meals and dorms.

Arclight

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
I'd like to add my .02. I don't know these schools, so I don't have an opinion on where you should go. What I do have an opinion on is what you do after school.

EMT school is only a first step. A few basic principles and techniques are taught and you are sent on your way, now the real learning starts. If you were going to get into the business you'd really learn how to be an EMT from your paramedic partner and experience. The only illustration I could think of is if someone took a semester marriage or child rearing class at the local jc and then declared themselves a capable husband/parent. I'd suggest after you complete school (which I think is a great idea and everyone should do it), you do as many ride along's as you can tolerate with the busiest ambulance or fire department you can find. Most guys will let you practice all your skills if you show a willing attitude and an understanding of what you were taught in class. This is where medicine is learned. This is where your barometer for what is serious and not serious is set. This is where you learn how to act in a true emergency.

Of course this isn't required, most folks don't do this. But if you did, you'll be much better equipped to deal with the situations your trying to prepare for.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I had a really good experience through the NOLS WMI course and would highly recommend them......even if I was voluntold to be the hypothermia patient which involved laying on a frozen lake in soaking wet clothes and then having ice/snow shoveled on me. The training has come in handy many times out in the field, across the street from my house, and once on a remote stretch of highway involving a car rolling 6 times and a 45+ minute response time.

kmlacroix

Explorer
Do you want to be an WEMT or WFR? A EMT has restrictions on what treatment they can do. A FR does not have the same legal restrictions, mostly around physician prescribed meds the injured party has. At least in CO.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I had a really good experience through the NOLS WMI course and would highly recommend them......even if I was voluntold to be the hypothermia patient which involved laying on a frozen lake in soaking wet clothes and then having ice/snow shoveled on me. The training has come in handy many times out in the field, across the street from my house, and once on a remote stretch of highway involving a car rolling 6 times and a 45+ minute response time.

I'm leaning towards the NOLS offerings. I have a friend who did the course and also worked for them.

Oh and if you just need a good basic skill set I would go for the Wilderness Advanced First Aid training.

Yeah, trying to figure out the right level of training. I'm not sure that a week would really give me what I want - my time in the Army gave me a lot of the basics.

Do you want to be an WEMT or WFR? A EMT has restrictions on what treatment they can do. A FR does not have the same legal restrictions, mostly around physician prescribed meds the injured party has. At least in CO.

For me it is the level of training more than anything else. I don't want to be either, really - though I'll volunteer at my local EMS to get experience after training if I go that route.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I did the NOLS/WMI upgrade for medical professionals....WUMP
Great instructors in Flagstaff and has made a huge difference in my perspective going from an urban ICU RN to wilderness mindset.

Take all the instruction you can get, never hurts to know too much.

Another vote for NOLS/WMI. I took the wilderness first responder course and received an upgrade to WEMT since I am already a medic.

I was impressed with the class. Got to see some complete novices improve immensely over 9 days. I would not bother with the whole WEMT class. Just too much time and money for what you want.

I liked the school so much I prepared a resume to teach but pulled back due to not wanting to be away from the new wife for long.

In NC Landmark Learning does all of their classes.

Hutchcab

I took my WFR with WMA in 1996, recertified with SOLO through 2001, took a wilderness upgrade to EMT through SOLO - which I let lapse :( - but have maintained my WFR through reverts with WMI while I was an instructor there (NOLS) for 14 years. This past fall I recerted through WMA, coming full circle. I am also an NSP OEC Technician and professional ski patroller. All of these organizations (excluding NSP, which I simply can't speak to) have close contact and work together to maintain high standards and current protocols. All are active in the Wilderness Medical Society. I think the important thing is to take a course that meets your needs, recert often and seek out additional practice opportunities. In my mind the WFR is the course that offers the most to the widest audience. It is the standard in the outdoor education industry and for many guide companies. Recertification is easier than an EMT and the skills are practical and effective, without a lot of the added "ambulance" skills that you may not need if you never intend to work on the bus. My WFR helped me to feel comfortable and competent when I took my EMT and OEC while others were super stressed. I still have a lot of love for NOLS/WMI and would certainly recommend them, having said that, I really enjoyed taking my latest recert through WMA and getting a different perspective.

I would also encourage folks to take your course somewhere new and "cool" vs. in your backyard. While the convenience of a close to home course can't be ignored, going somewhere a bit more far flung actually helps to simulate some of the places (mental and/or physical) where you may use these skills.

Anyway, good stuff, highly encourage folks to take a course, practice like you play, help others and hope you never need it but be ready when you do!

Hutch

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
please excuse any grammatical or spelling errors typing of a blackberry. Wish I would of seen this thread sooner, I can speak highly of RMI's remote medic/EMT class. However it is a month long, they own you, is expensive relatively speaking lodging, meals included. Its also DOD certified, so when I was there the majority of the class had experience in medicine. with the DOD certification, they expect you to work long days and practice on each other. Many combat medics, park service cops and rangers. There were only 3 people who started the class with no medical experience and did not make it. Most EMT programs are 1 term condensed, and 2 terms standard. So all the NREMT curriculum and higher level provider skills taught in a month is a heavy load as an understatement. As many have said the instructors will make a huge difference. I would highly recommend their classes, the level of instruction, experience of instructors was phenomenal. I have a heavy back ground in emergency services and thoroughly enjoyed the class. It included MCPIC certification( coast guard and DOD), which goes into everything from sutures, dental care, ENT care, U caths, NG tubes, etc clinical care. was extremely hands on, my class was in nov-Dec in the northern cascades with Leavenworth being the closest town. Involved night scenarios, setting up remote clinics, and hiking in and out with patients practicing procedures on each other. Each student averaged 3 assessments a day. depending on what you want to do with your cert, if its just a WFR, vs EMT. The good semaratin law does not protect you once you are a licensed/certed EMT. On the medical side sometimes ignorance is bliss as to you being legally required to treat vs with a wfr. To stay licensed Nationally and then in each state takes a lot of upkeep, with each state having differing requirements. I would love to answer any questions you have.

jeepxj13

Adventurer
I took W-EMT through NOLS last January at the Landmark Learning facility in NC. Coming from the street side of things (firefighter/emt) I had a blast. Like most have said its all in the instructors and I had a great couple. One had just finished CRNA school and the other had been in the industry for 30 years.

jpachard

Adventurer
I did my WEMT with SOLO at Nantahala Outdoor center and it was fantastic. Lots of good rotations at the local ERs and the instructors were top notch. Definitely liked the immersion approach.

Cheers, James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles