New Salsa Anything HD Cage: Anybody have a few miles on them yet?

p nut

butter
No experience personally, but I am skeptical of a plastic cage being held on my tiny little bolts. Especially since tipping over isn't an uncommon experience for me. But I have heard that Salsa did address the weld issue on the second version of Anything cage (non-HD--the cheaper/metal version).

I've been meaning to get some sort of cargo system for the forks. Take a look at these from Cleveland Mtneering:

http://cleavelandmountaineering.blogspot.com/p/everything-bags.html

I like this system a LOT more than Salsa, and the others out there. Less risk of breaking from crashes, can hold odd shaped objects (not just circular/tube shaped), etc.

apalmer

Adventurer
Hey All, glad to see the discussion on these cages!

My name is Andy P, and I'm a product manager for Salsa Cycles, and led the development of these new cages.

To date, there have been three versions of the Anything Cage.

V1: These worked pretty well, but they had mounting tabs that were not as strong as we liked, so we updated them to V2

V2 was launched in early 2013, and features a fully welded one-piece back plate that replaced the previous version with the three separate mounting tabs.

V3 is the Plastic "HD" version, and it was designed to address some of the issues mentioned earlier in this thread, as well as fit things like Nalgne bottles a bit better.

What you can't quite see in pictures is that there is actually a 12mm wide washer that installs in the recess for the mounting screw, and distributes the attachment load throughout the cage very well. We also added support tabs on the back to take quite a bit of the shear load off the mounting hardware as well in the event of an impact.

This cage (as well as the alloy versions) have been aggressively tested in accordance with some tough European luggage carrier requirements (and then some) and passed with flying colors. We even did a "cold condition" fatigue test on the HD version to make sure the nylon materiel we chose would hold up. Also, as a group we all rode the hell out of them for a month, and had no issues either.

My point is that these are burly, tested, and will be a great addition to your gear arsenal.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Good to hear about the standards and cold temp tests on the anything HD. The only other thing I can think of is UV possibly degrading the Nylon if it is not treated.

Also the lower shelf is smaller than the V1 and V2 anything cages. In your testing I assume this design had little effect on cargo carrying ability.
Last question is have you tested the HD with Voile ski straps for retaining cargo? Will they wrap behind the cage like the V2 that I use currently. I use them because they grip better and stretch around the cargo for a sure fit on bumpy trails, verse the webbing that comes with the AT cages.

apalmer

Adventurer
UV was considered, but I don't think it will be an issue. If it's something you are concerned about, I have had great luck with this product:
http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant
A few kayak companies actually treat their boats with it before they head out of the factory, so it's got a proven track record for sure. I personally have used it on everything from hot-tub covers, boat cushions, carbon canoe paddle shafts, the interior of my car, my hot tub cover, and have been very happy with it. It does not leave a nasty greasy coating behind either.

You are correct, the shape of the bottom shelf did not cause any issues during testing. The shape and size of the cage allow the load to have more contact with the cage itself, thus allowing us to save some weight off the bottom, with no impact on carry capabilities.

I do love me some Voile straps ( I keep a set in my jeep, and on the boat for emergencies) but we did not test for those specifically, but I don't see why they wouldn't work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior