Long-term in a Flippac

faulke

Howdy!

What sort of necessities or extra things do you carry for long-term adventures in your Flippac (or truck cap) that make life more comfortable or convenient? With my current setup, I have a rain fly, awning, auxiliary battery, fridge, water storage, air compressor, and all the basics for cooking, sleeping, etc. I've found everything adequate for shorter trips (3-4 days), but is there anything not obvious that you bring along for extended trips that you found are a must? Any general advice for someone living out of a Flippac for, say, four weeks or longer?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
You should check out the Nonurbia folks, they're long-terming in South America with a Tacoma/Flippac

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I think the biggest thing would be organization - every time you put something away, it goes in the same spot. - not having to dig for everyday items.
I put a wire shelve over my windows and attach things to it I want easy access to.
020815poda.jpg

Not a great picture, but shows the Maxtrax, fire extinguisher etc

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't have a flip pac, but used my jeep and Ursa minor popup which I think is similar (though much smaller).

In my honest opinion, if you do 3-4 days comfortable you can do it for weeks, or months. After several shorter trips, I spent 4-5 weeks out in my jeep/j30. And my wife was with me 10 of those days. I packed a lot of "extra" stuff for the longer trip and found that it just got in the way. I will echo what mtnbike28 said though. A place for everything and everything in its place. My wife struggles with this (don't they all). But if everything is organized and gets put away when you're done with it, no problem.

I found that we needed to stop and restock and do laundry every so often, but did not need more gear. I actually began packing less after the long trip, finding that I didn't use a lot of equipment that I packed.

Fwiw I didn't have an awning, fridge, extra battery etc. I think that those three things would have made a big difference in comfort. Having shaded area outside is priceless in the desert, or in the rain.

Last edited:

GHI

Adventurer
I concur with the organization aspect with strong emphasis on everything back in its rightful spot, every time with basically no exception. I'm still working this out myself. I have wasted more time and energy looking for things that I swore to myself I would remember where I put it for that brief moment.

I also thank this thread for turning me on to the Nonurbia folks. I spent some time perusing their travel blog. Way cool people.

faulke

Appreciate the advice. It gives me a little more peace of mind knowing it can be done with what I already have, and anything else that I might need could be picked up while on the road. Organization is definitely something I've focused on with my build, too.

mtnbike28 - I'd be interested in seeing other pics of your storage solutions. I've been looking for ways to use the window and sidewall areas for storage. My only thought was to use some sort of cargo netting.

Nonurbia is awesome! Thanks for the link.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Wipes and solar shower, myself. Or more often than not I find clean water to get into. Works great around the Pacific Northwest, less so in Utah/Arizona etc.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Shower-will depend on what you do, ie climbing/hiking/biking, then yeah a shower is great! I've gotten away with sponge bathing (wipes) as well as isopropyl alcohol (spray), still tend to stink after a while...

brianjwilsons combo solar shower/wipes would seem ideal, wouldn't use up storage space, but readily set-up.

I also have a Coleman hot water on demand I set-up with the shower wand, haven't used it yet other than to test it out. It takes up a lot of space & is reasonably heavy, but I figure it will be handy (to me) on longer trips where I might not stay at commercial campgrounds.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Faulke - Here is my FP set up. I wanted to cover the side windows. and decided to add something to attached everyday items to. The ends are 1x1 posts and tied with a cross member (front and rear) The wire shelves are the only thing tying the two ends together (if I needed more support, I would add a wood strip) But the hold my Maxtrax, etc. The other side I use to hang wet stuff like cycling gear and a white board to write menus for the family, or notes of what I need to pack or replace during a trip.

031115podAA.jpg

031115podA.jpg

031115podB.jpg

031115podC.jpg

For showers, I have a Zodi shower when primitive camping, the beach, etc. For showers after bike rides, I will use a water bottle with water (I leave them on the truck roof, and they warm up while I ride) and quicker trips, or just before going to bed, I will use a wipe.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
10947286_851814388223319_3847544720043034629_n.jpg

Organization really is key which is why I chose Goose Gear.

One thing I didn't see you mention is a toilet. Look at Thetford, details in my FlipPac build thread here.

IMG_3685.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94