School me on Compact CB Radios

anickode

Adventurer
We use Motorola 2020 handheld MURS radios at work and frankly, they're terrible. I am a lift mechanic at a small ski area, and if we're on the back side of the hill, we can't talk to central dispatch which is less than 1/4 mile away. Because repeaters are not legal on MURS we end up having to relay critical information via the lift operators at the top of the hill, which yields results akin to the children's game "telephone".

Now like any radio system, a mobile radio with a real antenna would probably perform quite well, but at nearly 200 bucks a pop, the handheld aren't worth it, and you'd be better off buying a 6 pack of FRS radios at costco for 100 bucks IMO.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I find responses like this peculiar... As it was only a few years ago that almost no one had a ham radio on the trail either. As more people began to suggest it, it's popularity infact began to tick up somewhat (though is still far & away from that of CB units). How MURS is different I don't understand... If people heard they can get the clarity and noiselessness of 2M without the license & exam, they'd probably be onto it quicker than flies on poop.
I doubt it. HAM appeals to people who are "into" radios and communication. That's why they have so many options, adjustments and features (which also makes them complicated for a casual user.) CB appeals to people who just need to communicate with the other vehicles on the trail. Which means that MURS appeals to ..... :confused: I have no idea.
I don't think most casual 4 wheelers or off roaders care about the lack of clarity or noise from a CB. I sure as hell don't. I only care that I can communicate with the other vehicles on the trail. When I'm not talking I just turn the squelch up until the noise goes away. Most of the time I'm listening to music.
For that matter, People who are 'chatterboxes' on radio drive me crazy anyway. I guess it's my military background but to me a radio is a tool. you get on the radio, say what you need to say, then get off. There's nothing more frustrating than being in a group of people when a couple of people want to get into a long discussion about something and you need to make a call because Joe got a flat tire or Bill took a wrong turn. :rolleyes:
Actually, I guess there's one thing more frustrating and that's when someone has a hot mike and we end up listening to their stereo or their conversation with their passenger. I actually had that happen last year when I was on a trip and I ended up calling another guy on the HAM to say that someone had a hot mike on the CB (I guess that's an argument for having redundant communications systems.)
Seems to me the problem with MURS is that it's not "HAMSEXY" enough to appeal to Hams and it doesn't offer enough of an advantage over CB to get people to switch. Now, if truckers started switching to MURS en masse, then I think we would see a stampede of other users but until or unless that happens, I don't see MURS catching on.
If anything, now that getting a Ham license is so easy, I keep waiting for manufacturers to come out with a line of budget priced, simple-to-use VHF radios to sell to those who are not so into Ham that they need all the gadgets of full-featured radios. I could see that happening before MURS.

4x4junkie

Explorer
We use Motorola 2020 handheld MURS radios at work and frankly, they're terrible. I am a lift mechanic at a small ski area, and if we're on the back side of the hill, we can't talk to central dispatch which is less than 1/4 mile away. Because repeaters are not legal on MURS we end up having to relay critical information via the lift operators at the top of the hill, which yields results akin to the children's game "telephone".

Now like any radio system, a mobile radio with a real antenna would probably perform quite well, but at nearly 200 bucks a pop, the handheld aren't worth it, and you'd be better off buying a 6 pack of FRS radios at costco for 100 bucks IMO.

I think the problem there is trying to talk handheld-to-handheld. Handheld radios as a whole no doubt aren't much good for any distance unless you can see each other. MURS however does allow you the option to put better antennas on your radios... If you were to put up a 5/8-wave VHF base antenna at the office (dispatch), I suspect that alone may be enough to allow dispatch to hear all of you on your handhelds, and for you all to hear dispatch better too (but you might still need dispatch to occasionally relay comms between users on handhelds).
There is an actual base station Dakota Alert MURS radio that might be perfect for your situation.

I doubt it. HAM appeals to people who are "into" radios and communication. That's why they have so many options, adjustments and features (which also makes them complicated for a casual user.) CB appeals to people who just need to communicate with the other vehicles on the trail. Which means that MURS appeals to ..... :confused: I have no idea.
Same people as regular CB does (MURS is simply VHF CB rather than HF (27MHz) CB).
I don't think most casual 4 wheelers or off roaders care about the lack of clarity or noise from a CB. I sure as hell don't. I only care that I can communicate with the other vehicles on the trail. When I'm not talking I just turn the squelch up until the noise goes away. Most of the time I'm listening to music.

Obviously people do care when there is so much bickering and whining on here about this noise, "weirdos", and lack of clarity & range... (often going so far as to make broad generalizations of CB units being junk not realizing the reasons why it couldn't provide communication with the other vehicles on the trail). MURS just by it's nature takes care of the first two, and the latter is also much easier to attain due to it being FM and a full ¼-wave antenna is a mere 18" tall (which also opens the door for gain antennas that are about 45" or so long). Again, it's characteristics are almost identical to 2M ham since it's just barely up the band from 2M.
For that matter, People who are 'chatterboxes' on radio drive me crazy anyway. I guess it's my military background but to me a radio is a tool. you get on the radio, say what you need to say, then get off. There's nothing more frustrating than being in a group of people when a couple of people want to get into a long discussion about something and you need to make a call because Joe got a flat tire or Bill took a wrong turn. :rolleyes:

No argument here. I got a buddy who does that. I try not to encourage him by not responding unless it's something important or relevant lol. If I need to talk to someone at length about something, there are 39 other channels (CB) or 4 (MURS) for it. If others are doing it, then all you can do is barge ("break") into their conversation between their key-ups and tell them to shut the ******** ("stand by") for a moment so you can make your call.
Actually, I guess there's one thing more frustrating and that's when someone has a hot mike and we end up listening to their stereo or their conversation with their passenger. I actually had that happen last year when I was on a trip and I ended up calling another guy on the HAM to say that someone had a hot mike on the CB (I guess that's an argument for having redundant communications systems.)
Sometimes you might catch someone's deep dark secrets that way. :Wow1: Certainly an open mic can (and often does) interfere with everyone else's ability to talk though, agreed.
Seems to me the problem with MURS is that it's not "HAMSEXY" enough to appeal to Hams and it doesn't offer enough of an advantage over CB to get people to switch. Now, if truckers started switching to MURS en masse, then I think we would see a stampede of other users but until or unless that happens, I don't see MURS catching on.

You're probably right... Many elitist "hams" will likely still find some reason to whine about it, just because it's not "ham radio" (probably would wind up being the 2W power restriction, which is ironic since there are so many hams who take pride in so-called QRP work) :rolleyes: . But at the same time it would give everyone else simple comm units that are not so finicky about short antennas, don't provide for people 2000 miles away to come barreling in when you only need to talk to someone 500 feet to 5 miles away, and is easy enough to get into by just dropping into a local retailer, buying something, and then plugging it into the car and mounting it. FRS probably could've provided for this fairly well hadn't they put the arduous antenna restriction on it they did, even with it's 500mW power level.
If anything, now that getting a Ham license is so easy, I keep waiting for manufacturers to come out with a line of budget priced, simple-to-use VHF radios to sell to those who are not so into Ham that they need all the gadgets of full-featured radios. I could see that happening before MURS.

I would not suggest holding your breath (at least for the simple-to-use part... Baofeng has already provided the former).
By design, any ham radio has to have a VFO and the user needs to be aware of what frequencies he/she should be operating on for whichever type of communication he/she is doing (simplex vs. duplex for repeaters, for example) and that their comms don't inadvertently interfere with someone (a repeater for example, by talking simplex on it's input freq). This then brings need for memory channels so that one can store all the VFO frequencies they use so they can recall them quickly (since the radio manufacturer cannot know ahead of time which freqs any particular user will choose to use). Then there's PL tones for repeater access, and so on & so forth. Programming (and knowing) all this stuff is still going to be quite daunting for many.
A channelized radio on the other hand (CB, MURS, FRS) is almost universally a plug & play design, as every operating frequency is standardized (and in many cases the mode too), and each identified by a simple reference (channel) number so any & all radios within range that are tuned to the same number will all get to hear each other. Really the only requirements beyond that are volume and squelch knobs (which some manufacturers have even found ways to do away with the squelch knob, as is often seen on FRS radios). Stuff like noise filters, private squelch tones, power level and mic gain settings, etc. are all helpful in making the experience better (which several CB, MURS, & FRS radios do offer), but they are not a necessity for the radio to provide comms (and generally they can be left off or in their default out-of-the-box settings until one becomes familiar with it).

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would not suggest holding your breath (at least for the simple-to-use part... Baofeng has already provided the former).
By design, any ham radio has to have a VFO and the user needs to be aware of what frequencies he/she should be operating on for whichever type of communication he/she is doing (simplex vs. duplex for repeaters, for example) and that their comms don't inadvertently interfere with someone (a repeater for example, by talking simplex on it's input freq). This then brings need for memory channels so that one can store all the VFO frequencies they use so they can recall them quickly (since the radio manufacturer cannot know ahead of time which freqs any particular user will choose to use). Then there's PL tones for repeater access, and so on & so forth. Programming (and knowing) all this stuff is still going to be quite daunting for many.
A channelized radio on the other hand (CB, MURS, FRS) is almost universally a plug & play design, as every operating frequency is standardized (and in many cases the mode too), and each identified by a simple reference (channel) number so any & all radios within range that are tuned to the same number will all get to hear each other. Really the only requirements beyond that are volume and squelch knobs (which some manufacturers have even found ways to do away with the squelch knob, as is often seen on FRS radios). Stuff like noise filters, private squelch tones, power level and mic gain settings, etc. are all helpful in making the experience better (which several CB, MURS, & FRS radios do offer), but they are not a necessity for the radio to provide comms (and generally they can be left off or in their default out-of-the-box settings until one becomes familiar with it).
Yes, I agree 100%. It is the "channelized" aspect of CB and FRS that makes them the most "user friendly."
It would be interesting to know who the primary users of CB are today. I'm assuming it's truckers just from the fact that you can go into any truck stop and see a variety of CB equipment for sale. If truckers started moving to MURS I think 4 wheelers would pick it up, too. And once that happened the manufacturers would have an incentive to make a greater variety of radios and other gear. But right now HAM is for the "fanatics", CB is for the "'good enough' is good enough" casual users like truckers and FRS is the choice for hikers and people who want to talk short distances. Sadly, that leaves no room for MURS.
My next worry would be simply the finite supply of bandwidth might cause the FCC to do away with MURS entirely. After all, if nobody's using it for MURS traffic, then that bandwidth can be sold to commercial users.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Googling MURS a bit, I came across this which I thought was interesting:
http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-forum/254069-murs-band-fm-mobile-radios.html
Notice the name of the site: "The Truckers Report." It's a message board and here's what one of the posters says:
With MURS you use FM which beats the pants off of an AM CB radio any day of the week. No skip to have to put up with. No cracking noises over the radio when lightning flashes or you are near a fluorescent lamp. Reliable communications all the time. IMO VHF (where MURS is) should be what truck drivers use for CB.
But another poster says "I'll never give up my CB." I think this is a problem that often exists in technology: Sometimes "first" beats "better" because the value of having many people using the same system is greater than the value that would be gained by switching to the "better" product (see also: PC vs. Mac, VHS vs. Beta, etc.)
Does anyone make a bonafide, type-approved MURS Mobile or are they all hand-helds? L
Looking for MURS radios on Amazon I came across this interesting one: It purports to be a "GMRS/MURS" dual bander but looks more like a run of the mill 2m/70cm dual bander to me. Also would not be legal on MURS freqs because it puts out 10w.
http://www.amazon.com/Jetstream-JT2...F8&qid=1427911768&sr=1-21&keywords=murs+radio
I would guess whoever wrote the copy for that item doesn't understand the subtleties of the various radio bands.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Looking for MURS radios on Amazon I came across this interesting one: It purports to be a "GMRS/MURS" dual bander but looks more like a run of the mill 2m/70cm dual bander to me. Also would not be legal on MURS freqs because it puts out 10w.
http://www.amazon.com/Jetstream-JT2...F8&qid=1427911768&sr=1-21&keywords=murs+radio

Interesting radio...
I found a .pdf user manual for it and browsed thru it... That unit appears to be a dual-use amateur/part-90 (business band) radio like some Baofeng radios (UV-82 I believe). It's MURS/GMRS labeling on the Amazon page is wrong, as there's no mention of either in the manual.
Legal mobile MURS units are indeed something that seems absent from the market. Why I'm not sure, but if it got more popular, I see no reason why they wouldn't soon appear. Any MURS handheld certainly can be repurposed as a mobile however (or as a base too, for that matter) just like many do with the Baofeng handheld radios.

I also hear you on "first beats better"... Though it's certainly not a steadfast rule. There are many examples where "better" has won out (just off the top of my head: FM stereo broadcasting vs AM broadcasting... Compact disc vs vinyl LP (yeah I know there's the occasional hard-core audiophile that will say otherwise lol).
I think it has to do with awareness (or lack thereof). Hams typically want people within their own realm of licensed operators so it can stay alive, which could be why they mostly ignore alternatives like MURS. Perhaps if people started calling it "VHF CB" (as that's really what it is), it might catch more attention (everyone already knows what a "CB radio" is, so they can easily relate it to that).

Martinjmpr said:
My next worry would be simply the finite supply of bandwidth might cause the FCC to do away with MURS entirely. After all, if nobody's using it for MURS traffic, then that bandwidth can be sold to commercial users.

MURS is very widely in use (it's waaaayy past the point where that cat could be stuffed back into the bag). There are groups of enthusiasts in many population centers using it (often locals who moved off AM CB just to get away from the daytime noise 27MHz often brings in). Plenty of businesses that use it too (the ski slope anickode works at, for example). It is far from a dead zone within the RF spectrum, if that is what you were implying.

Robert Bills

Explorer
This discussion has strayed quite far from the OP's original post soliciting opinions on the Cobra 75 WX ST. His question was answered, the Midland 75-822 and small Uniden conventional chassis radios such as the PRO505XL and PRO520XL were suggested as possible alternatives, and some good advice on antenna selection was offered.

One would think that this thread had run its course, but as happens all too often, this thread has continued on and on and has degenerated into the usual CB vs. Ham vs. FRS vs. MURS vs. [name your radio type of choice] pointless debate. Ironic, when one considers the early post patting ourselves on our collective backs for not being "Ham Snobs" as is too often the case with similar debates in the "Communications: HAM, CB, 2M, SAT" subforum.

Just sayin'. :)

PS - In my humble opinion there is a place for CB, Ham and FRS/GMRS in any fully equipped expo rig. CB is still the lowest common denominator of communication tools in the offroad world and required at nearly all organized offroad events. Ham has superior voice quality and range but the percentage of offroaders with Ham licenses is still relatively small. FRS/GMRS is great to communicate with a spotter or to keep track of the kids around camp. My rig is equipped with all three.

PPS - In response to the original question in this thread - I have a Cobra 75 WX ST coupled with a 3' Firefly antenna on the roof of my Xterra. It does the job it was designed to do, i.e. trail and convoy communications with my immediate group. I chose it over the Uniden PRO520XL or a full size CB radio such as a Cobra 29 LTD because there is no good place to mount a CB in an Xterra. I have not experienced problems hearing transmissions through the speaker in the handset because the cabin of my Xterra is relatively quiet, however I did add a $12 MFJ external speaker mounted under the dash "just because." Also, the modulation can be turned up a touch with an internal adjustment (without generating so much extra heat as to burn up the output transistors), which improves transmission quality. Is it as good as the peaked and tweaked Galaxy 10m/11m "export" radio in my old Ford pickup or the Midland 79-290 SSB in my CJ-7? No, but it is a fraction of the size and can be tucked away out of sight when not in use.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had a 75 wxst in my old Jeep. 2 of them, in fact. The first one fried. And the second one ran hot but I didn't use it as much.
They worked "meh" at best.

100_0257.jpg

Copyof100_4199.jpg

I broke that antenna a couple of times before switching to a Wilson Silverload Flex ---- the Wilson also had a better way to ground the antenna and the radio worked better. SWR was around the same with both brands of antenna

I also had a Cobra 38 wxst on my Concours. With a Firefly antenna, spring, and groundplane kit (3 radial arms about 8" long), it out-performed all of my friends OE radios on their Goldwings.

e-ConnieinWY.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94