Going domestic, project vanilla aka the family tankster, 2004 Suburban 2500

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I posted some stuff on "Jacks 2007 Chevy build" in the last couple pages about drilling the u bolt plates to allow drainage and rust prevention and installing an earlier 1988-98 rear overload that has more of a progressive taper to it.
You may have to check your length to see if it fits inside of your main spring leaf clamps, but they are easily shortened with a chop saw. You need a wet rag wrapped around the overload as a heat sink and redrill the wear pad holes. A machine shop can redrill the wear pad holes in the overloads unless you have some super hard bits. If the overload extends past the spring clamps your good.
The earlier overloads are 41 or 42 inches long.

Interesting, I will look at that thread. Thanks for sharing.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
A quick update on the 5100's after about a week with them. The first couple of days they felt stiff to me, then they seemed to soften up, so not sure if they have to break in perhaps? Anyway, they took the initial harshness away and seem to control body motion much better. Big frost heaves that would take 2 to 3 bounces before now are dealt with in one cycle. Thats really nice. Its still a stiff ride but the softness now at the initial hit is much smoother making the ride overall noticeably more comfortable.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I glad to hear that you are happy with the Bilsteins:drool: Upcruiser. I thought you would be. What kind of shocks were you running before?:smiley_drive:

justcuz

Explorer
Was on Rock Auto earlier today and they had a ton of rebate stuff. Shocks especially, seems Rancho's are made by Monroe. KYB's and Sensa had rebates too. I never buy anything at the parts store before looking up online vendors any more. Much better prices than your chain auto parts stores.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Was on Rock Auto earlier today and they had a ton of rebate stuff. Shocks especially, seems Rancho's are made by Monroe. KYB's and Sensa had rebates too. I never buy anything at the parts store before looking up online vendors any more. Much better prices than your chain auto parts stores.

Going to do some more browsing/shopping tomorrow on there actually. Was planning to be doing some upgrades to our camper right about now but we have been having the second coming of winter here and it looks to be carrying forth at least another week.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Solid axle swap that bad boy. A dodge 2500 AAM 9.25 will be great for it.

Well, honestly, a lot of the future of what I do to this truck is going to be based on how it works in Utah on our trip. I don't need it to be able to do anything too gnarly, just rough, unimproved tracks from time to time. I like the way the thing rides and doesn't draw much attention. Plus, this is our rig for getting out in the ugly stuff

If for some reason we decide to part with the Land Cruiser I could see doing something more extreme to the Burb to fill the gap. Like say a Cognito setup and 35's, lockers, protection and bumpers. Having grown up with Land Cruisers and having had at least one for the past 20 years, I can't imagine being Cruiserless. Maybe the Suburban will convince me though. I know I enjoy driving it more for trips. Sorry about all the pics but figured this thread needs more interesting pics. Haha

justcuz

Explorer
Nice pictures, the Land Cruiser looks well used.

The polar vortex dropping down has really brought you some long lasting cold weather.

The Rock Auto specials and sales are on the home page.

I posted an idea I am going to research in the torsion bar thread yesterday. Not an SAS, but a possibility for more suspension travel.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice pictures, the Land Cruiser looks well used.

The polar vortex dropping down has really brought you some long lasting cold weather.

The Rock Auto specials and sales are on the home page.

I posted an idea I am going to research in the torsion bar thread yesterday. Not an SAS, but a possibility for more suspension travel.

Yeah, this winter started super late for us, though was overall pretty mild. Have a couple weeks of snowstorms and cold hitting us now. Bummer about bike season getting delayed but we have been skiing daily so still enjoying it.

Yeah, the 80 is like family, have had it for 15 years. It sat in storage for about 5 years not used much while I was living in the west and doing a lot of work travel. We had a couple of other rigs we were using in the west during that time. I have a bunch of deferred upkeep to do on the Cruiser and issues from sitting.

Few more pics of the FJC and 60 series we had when we were living in WY and CO.

Man I am getting antsy for a road trip.

justcuz

Explorer
FJ45, 55 and 60 series are my favorite Land Cruisers. I had a neighbor when I was in college who owned a FJ55 with a winch. It was a great vehicle.

I had a 63 Chevy 4x4 pickup, he had the Land Cruiser, another friend had a 61 GMC carryall and the 3rd buddy had a CJ5. On weekends and school breaks we camped and 4 wheeled all over Southern California from Death Valley, to the Mojave Road, the local mountains to the coastal range. This was in the early 70's when you could actually drive places that are closed now. We once found the remains of a Marmon Herrington 4x4 Ford woody up at one mine site. That running gear alone today would be worth thousands of dollars!

My admiration for station wagon style 4x4's grew from that time. When the weather turned bad, the guys in the Carryall and Land Cruiser always had a plan B.

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
FJ45, 55 and 60 series are my favorite Land Cruisers. I had a neighbor when I was in college who owned a FJ55 with a winch. It was a great vehicle.

I had a 63 Chevy 4x4 pickup, he had the Land Cruiser, another friend had a 61 GMC carryall and the 3rd buddy had a CJ5. On weekends and school breaks we camped and 4 wheeled all over Southern California from Death Valley, to the Mojave Road, the local mountains to the coastal range. This was in the early 70's when you could actually drive places that are closed now. We once found the remains of a Marmon Herrington 4x4 Ford woody up at one mine site. That running gear alone today would be worth thousands of dollars!

My admiration for station wagon style 4x4's grew from that time. When the weather turned bad, the guys in the Carryall and Land Cruiser always had a plan B.

That sounds like a fun mix of rigs. It's more fun to be out with a bunch of different vehicles than in a group of identical ones. At least that's how I feel. It's cool seeing how each one tackles stuff differently.

I have had 2 60's and I think they are my favorite mix of old and new Land Cruiser. Simple, but fairly comfortable. Underpowered but what's the rush, that was part of the charm of the old trucks to me.

justcuz

Explorer
I'm not much of a purist, I've had a 60 Ford pickup with a 455 Olds Turbo 400, a 68 Chevy pickup with the same combo and a International Travelall with a Caddy 500 and a 400 turbo. (It helps to have friends in the wrecking yard business).

Of the three the Travelall was the bomb, I painted the engine the same red as an IH engine and most folks hardly noticed. I was getting ready to swap out the old big 6 lug 3/4 ton axles with Chevy 8 lug stuff and change the power steering when in a moment of weakness I traded it for a 1974 Cherokee Chief. Dumb move, I missed the Travelall immediately for its interior volume and 4 doors.

So that being said a Land Cruiser owned by me would receive a Chevy transplant. The original Land Cruiser 6 is sort of a copy of a GMC 6 in deuce in a halfs anyhow. I always refer to Toyotas as Japanese Chevys, remember the Toyoglide automatic in the little Corona 4 doors? Compare that to a Chevy Powerglide and notice the similarities.
I'm always concocting some crazy stuff in my pea brain.
Like a first generation Sequoia with a GM 5.3/4L60E/NP241 with Rubicon 4-1 reduction gears!
I sure some type of Toyota electric Locker would work out back and leave the front open.

Yes it was a fun mix of rigs!
The GMC Carryall had an upgraded 351 ci V6 with a 2 barrel and dual exhausts, it had a real distinctive exhaust note and was a torque monster too. It was his Dad's hunting rig that he got to drive all the time except when his Dad went on hunting trips a few times a year. It was red with a white winch bumper and white 8.25" wide wheels for the 10.00x16.5 tires on it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior