Going domestic, project vanilla aka the family tankster, 2004 Suburban 2500

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Well, after a long search and even longer evaluation process of what would be the best rig for our family travels we settled on, and eventually found a cream puff of a 2004 Suburban 2500.

…but let me start back a bit to color the backstory a bit…

After the birth of our first kiddo we picked up a sweet little FJ Cruiser with some nice goodies to replace our high miles 60 series for our family adventure mobile. We used the FJ to move from Jackson, WY to Colorado at the time and had a lot of great outings locally in CO as well as southern UT. Last spring we decided to forego my career and move back to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and live a bit simpler life and have more time to spend with our kiddo. While the FJ was/is a great little rig for putting on miles, then tackling challenging routes wherever, we found it was pretty tight with the three of us and our chug, or pugwawa if you will (its a Chihuahua Pug mix). While we made it work, packing all of us, and all the gear to be self sufficient for a week, plus our mountain bikes and related gear, well, we were maxing things out. Add the fact we picked up a sweet new 23 foot ultralight travel trailer and it was evident we would benefit from a vehicle switch. The nail in the coffin was the fact our second kiddo is on the way, coming in late April, ok, ok, I get it, we need a bigger rig. While the FJ was wonderful and absolutely without any hesitation going to take us anywhere without any fear, we also have my old 80 series Land Cruiser I have had for 15 years now. It was my go to overlander before we all started using that word. So, the plan is to keep that rig for trips needing a bit more technical ability. What that left us with is the need for a spacious rig that we can cover big mileage, get down dirt roads, and moderately difficult two track type trails. The other big requirement is towing, while our camper is only 4,200lbs, we wanted something that is unfazed by crosswinds, and under stressed. I am so turned off by built looking overland rig these days (I point my finger at myself here too, my Cruiser always got more attention than I cared for) that I want this truck to go completely under the radar. Clean, anonymous, and stealthy. Lastly, I wanted to be able to transport our mountain bikes on trips inside the vehicle BEHIND the second row seats… You can probably see where I am going here….. Ok, one more thing, I lied, I want to be able to stealth camp IN this vehicle without folding seats….

So, we were set on a Sprinter at one point, but that doesn't give you 4wd (in our price range) and has a weak towing capacity. We considered a crew cab half ton or 3/4 ton pickup, but especially where we are living now, crew cab pickups are both high on resale and low on upkeep and condition. The Ford Excursion, tempting, especially with the 7.3 Powerstroke but I don't want to deal with a diesel living in a place where we go over a month at time with temps below zero. The Excursion in a gasser was ruled out for ride and economy. I know, economy is totally relative here.. haha

So, one of the, if not THE longest running model name in history, the Chevy Suburban kept coming back as our best fit vehicle. I started this search early last fall. People love their burbs…. Most have half a bazillion miles on them and despite the love, don't really take care of them. Its not really an enthusiast vehicle per say so they don't get the love as some other vehicles. While I love the older solid front axle burbs, I wanted something modern, comfortable, and yes, even the dreaded Chevy IFS. After 100's of hours of online sleuthing, I found the candidate, a 2004 2500 Burn, in south east Michigan that had never seen salt. It spent its life in Texas and by the looks of it, was babied. Now signs that it ever had a brake controller and the paint finish is near perfect as well as the interior. The guy I bought it from is a meticulous car guy. I saw his place and his other cars, and the BINDER of info he saved about the car and everything he had done to it and was done by the previous owner. He towed a Corvette back from Texas with it, then basically kept it in a heated garage since last summer. The day I drove it home, sadly was the first day it saw salt.

The specs… 6.0, 4.10's, tow package, G80 auto locker, a new set of off brand 285/75/16's, and a Ranch Hand bumper mounted brush guard (actually a super stout unit). Has some goodies like the extending tow mirrors and looks and drives like new. I have only been able to find a few minor issues with the truck honestly. A faded part of the dash (under a dash cover), a dash light on the HVAC that is out, and a ding in the brush guard. I paid a premium but was fairly comfortable with it since it was such a clean rig in a condition that is next to impossible to find in the midwest.

We are embarking on a 2 month trip with it this spring with our new family addition and planning on working our way south and west before zig zagging up the coast, crossing into Canada before working our way back. Towing our camper, and likely doing some multiple day trips leaving the camper behind at times and camping in the backcountry.

Things I know I would like to do at this point are as follows… add a brake controller, level the rake out of the rig a bit (raise the front a touch), remove the 3rd row seat and build a storage and sleeping platform that essentially folds in half giving me space for the bikes on one side with storage on the other side. When the bikes are out, a full width bed. Considering adding a second battery for a fridge down the road. Also need to do some sort of onboard air, thinking an ARB compressor.

I have been a long time Land Cruiser/Toyota guy with a brief dabble with Land Rovers but have little experience with domestic rigs. I have done a TON of reading but nothing first hand. Would love to hear any suggestions from the experts here on stuff to get ahead of or upgrade prior to doing a lot of rough dirt driving with the truck. The reason we went 2500 was for the bigger frame, brakes, tranny, motor, axles, suspension, etc in order to have a lot of extra capacity and not put much stress on the truck. I truly think of this thing like a domestic version of a Land Cruiser wagon, with way more hauling/towing ability. I am hoping the picture in my head I have painted holds true. ;-)

I am the type of person who likes to zig when others zag and part of the draw to me for this rig also has to do with the fact that a Suburban, especially an IFS Burb is a bit of an overlander underdog. The popular overland rig options have become unappealing to me because so many folks in this hobby build them now. I know, kind of lame but I like to do things differently. When I built my 80 there weren't many people "wheeling" with them at the time and enjoyed that bit of being different. People love to bash GM, I kind of want this rig to prove the naysayers wrong a bit. Plus living in MI again, its kind of fun to drive local.

Here are a few pics of the truck as it sits now, will keep this thread updated with our trials and tribulations and experiences traveling with it. I first wanted to call it the family truckster but feel Family Tankster is more appropriate. haha

Last edited:

Bojak

Adventurer
You wont hate it, you will probably love it. It, like much in this world, will give you as much as you put into it. I've gone lots of places in 2wd trucks( and 1 rx7) so the ifs should not limit you any. Check out offroad designs site for some options. Congrats on a nice looking rig.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Kristian, congrats on the kiddos and good luck with the Burb!! In all honesty I'm probably not far behind you. We just had our 3rd baby and the 100 is getting REALLY small. I'll be watching to see how you do. For the mean time I'll be in Spain for 3 years :sombrero:.

Next time I'm up in the Yooper we'll have to try and meet up. My in-laws have a cabin on Lake Michigan near Gould City/Naubinway.

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
You wont hate it, you will probably love it. It, like much in this world, will give you as much as you put into it. I've gone lots of places in 2wd trucks( and 1 rx7) so the ifs should not limit you any. Check out offroad designs site for some options. Congrats on a nice looking rig.
I agree, and I am almost certain I will love it. Will check those guys out, thanks for the tip.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Kristian, congrats on the kiddos and good luck with the Burb!! In all honesty I'm probably not far behind you. We just had our 3rd baby and the 100 is getting REALLY small. I'll be watching to see how you do. For the mean time I'll be in Spain for 3 years :sombrero:.

Next time I'm up in the Yooper we'll have to try and meet up. My in-laws have a cabin on Lake Michigan near Gould City/Naubinway.

Spain! Ah man, super jealous one of my all time favorite countries I have visited. What part? I forgot to mention, we considered Hundies too, even found what I would consider a cream puff low miles one but I think the extra size of the Burb and its capacities convinced me to go that way. Plus my wife keeps reminding me… we HAVE a Land Cruiser. haha Yeah, let me know, Naubinway is not terribly close but close enough to justify a trip to the Lake Michigan coast and likely some better swimming temps. ;-) We should be back by July 15th from our trip this spring so let me know if you are in the area.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Getting stationed in Rota. Never been to Spain or most of Europe for that matter we are really excited. Probably won't make it to the UP this year, but we are going to try next summer. We have to be in Spain in April.
I'm considering Burbs, Excursions and 4x4 Vans so I'll be interested to see your thoughts. Its going to be really hard not to pick up an HZJ/HDJ 80 in Spain as I can import it in 2018 when I come back!!

I've got 3 years to think about it, so you better get crackin' on this build ;)

chaos616

Adventurer
Hey, I don't have a Burb, but I have its close cousin 2500HD pickup. Before we did our SAS we had the completely stock suspension setup on the truck and it actually did really really well. The weight of these vehicles actually helps with traction and unless your doing burnouts all the time the G80 (known for being unreliable) is really reliable in my opinion, in fact i run a g80 on the front and back of mine and they do great. A good set of tires does do wonders on these vehicles, run what you have then upgrade to a more agressive tread and 10 ply for sure. I think you'll love and hate the 6.0 engine just the same, great for reliability and ease of parts, but not so great on fuel. The interesting part i found about the 6.0L was that no matter what I have done to it, it always seems to get between 11 and 14 mpg. Although this is a range I can pretty much figure on 12.5 no matter what. The day we got it stock it got 13 mpg on the way home and now with 37's and 4.88 gears it gets 12.5 mpg.

Also BTW that does look like a super clean burb, good find for up north. Were originally from Minnesota, Bemidji and International Falls and we refuse in most cases to buy cars from there. Cars in NV are much cleaner.

Cheers!, and go have fun with the burb!!!

Last edited:

snowblind

Adventurer
Nice looking rig!

Fuel economy is not ever good with these things but with 4:10 gears it will be abysmal. At 70mph what is the tach at? 3500rpm?

Matt

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Getting stationed in Rota. Never been to Spain or most of Europe for that matter we are really excited. Probably won't make it to the UP this year, but we are going to try next summer. We have to be in Spain in April.
I'm considering Burbs, Excursions and 4x4 Vans so I'll be interested to see your thoughts. Its going to be really hard not to pick up an HZJ/HDJ 80 in Spain as I can import it in 2018 when I come back!!

I've got 3 years to think about it, so you better get crackin' on this build ;)
You will dig it. The people have a very relaxed attitude, the cities are great, and the food and wine was my favorite part. Gotta love good tapas.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Hi Upcruiser,
I like where you're coming from! I'm a big fan of Suburbans and took mine all over the Rockies... They are very capable and comfortable as stock rigs. I just posted a thread about some of my adventures here if you are interested?
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...gs-in-MT-UT-WY-CO-ND-MN?p=1794054#post1794054
Cheers,
James

Awesome man, glad to see your adventures. I get the impression the Suburban is an under appreciated rig, even in stock form.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Hey, I don't have a Burb, but I have its close cousin 2500HD pickup. Before we did our SAS we had the completely stock suspension setup on the truck and it actually did really really well. The weight of these vehicles actually helps with traction and unless your doing burnouts all the time the G80 (known for being unreliable) is really reliable in my opinion, in fact i run a g80 on the front and back of mine and they do great. A good set of tires does do wonders on these vehicles, run what you have then upgrade to a more agressive tread and 10 ply for sure. I think you'll love and hate the 6.0 engine just the same, great for reliability and ease of parts, but not so great on fuel. The interesting part i found about the 6.0L was that no matter what I have done to it, it always seems to get between 11 and 14 mpg. Although this is a range I can pretty much figure on 12.5 no matter what. The day we got it stock it got 13 mpg on the way home and now with 37's and 4.88 gears it gets 12.5 mpg.

Also BTW that does look like a super clean burb, good find for up north. Were originally from Minnesota, Bemidji and International Falls and we refuse in most cases to buy cars from there. Cars in NV are much cleaner.

Cheers!, and go have fun with the burb!!!

I have read the G80 in the 3/4 tons has fewer issues than in the half tons. I am thinking with the way I drive off road using the slow as possible fast as necessary mantra it should work fine. Seems like the guys doing burnouts, donuts and just matting it to the floor in 2wd have the majority of the problems I have read. I am debating whether to invest in a new set of more dirt appropriate tires. I feel tires is one of the areas where you never want to skimp out. Would love to put Duratracs on this, really enjoyed them on our FJ.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Nice looking rig!

Fuel economy is not ever good with these things but with 4:10 gears it will be abysmal. At 70mph what is the tach at? 3500rpm?

Matt

I hadn't really tracked the fuel economy towing our Subie home after I went down and bought the truck but on 90mile drive the other day, mostly on two lane highway the avg econ was showing 15mpg on the dial, and with the 285's the speedo is 5mph off at 60 so I think that could have been realistically 16. From what I read, a 33" tire with 4.10's is essentially the same final drive as the stock tires and 3.72's. Haven't really driven it 70 yet, the closest freeway is 150+ miles away. I figure since our FJ on trips was returning around 14-15 tops and my 80 series tops out at 12mpg, this much bigger and heavier rig is quite reasonable. Looks like there is quite a bit of adjustment left on the front torsion bars so planning to level it out via the stock keys and see how it rides, if it is rough, my buddy TJ and his shop Roam Auto has the keys for it in stock to bump it up more. I think the ride is great right now, I don't want to sacrifice the ride quality or wheel droop so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Congrats on the NBS Suburban, and yes I think these GM SUVs are indeed underappreciated, I love my Tahoe and it has not let me down off road yet. Though, if I had a "do over" card, I would get a 2500 Suburban, that extra bit of length can be a big difference in cargo capacity and usefulness. Good job shopping and finding a cherry of a ride.:safari-rig: If your brake lines are in good shape keep an eye on them now that it is living in salt country. My Tahoe was a Michigan vehicle when I bought it off lease and the brake lines started going bad in 2013, ended up replacing all of mine this past fall with a stainless kit. Definitely invest in some good tires for the rig, and also look into getting an engine tune. My personal recommendation is BlackBear Performance, they did a great job doing a "rolling tune" on my truck and really helped make the engine more responsive.

If you have any questions about your rig don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94