Miyata 1000 touring bike

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
This is not a for sale thread but rather a question about a sale.

Some background, I bought my dream bike in 1985. It is a Miyata 1000 touring bike, and it is my baby. It has gone many places, slept in my bedroom when I was single and has been babied. My dream for 35 years was to ride across Canada and the US and possibly south America. That dream is gone as I have been battling a lung disease and it does not look like I will ever be able to ride again. My issue is that for the past 10 years the bike has been in storage and not being rode and I think it is time that I parted with it. But I have no idea what it is worth or where to sell it if I decide to part with it. Parting means I am excepting my condition and loosing my dream. Keeping it is like rubbing salt in the wound every time I see it.

It is in great shape and in fact I still have some extra original tires that I bought with the bike, it has front and rear racks, panniers, bar end shifters, water bottle holders and runs perfect. It could use new foam on the handlebars but that is it. For me I think it is worth a lot of money but I really do not know.

So my question is what do you think it is worth and where should I list something like this as a local ad will only get those that want a $10 bike?

Thanks,

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Considering the wacky single speed and fixy trend these days, I dont think you would have any problem selling it for $150

Just put the word VINTAGE in the add and the responses will follow :)

Even here in north Idaho Ive turned a healthy profit fishing "junk" vintage bikes from the dumpsters that college kids abandon when they go back home and cannot fit into their cars.

All I do is clean them up and post them up for sale. Just a clean steel "vintage" frame is worth $75 around here.

98xjaz

Go to bikeforums.net and check the vintage section. That is still someone elses dream bike and that forum is full of folks who will appreciate it, especially the one owner aspect and the circumstances behind you parting with it.
Miyata's were fine machines, the Japanese in the 80's produced high quality steel frames that can still outperform many of the newer offerings today in ride quality and longevity. Its a shame you cant enjoy it anymore. I assure you though that there is someone out there who would love to rack up the miles on it. Its hard to explain, a quality vintage bike with a story is better than anything you can get from modern production to a lot of folks.
Don't write it off to a hipster yet. I'm not saying you can get more money for it, but finding someone who will enjoy it will bring a lot more satisfaction.

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Miyata 1000's were once considered the best touring bike you could buy out of the box. I gave my wife one as something of a wedding present, she still has it and loves it.

That being said, you probably should look for someone worthy, it will be difficult to get what it is worth. I would estimate that if you went to a company like Rivendale and asked them to build you a comparable touring bike it would be at least $4,000 - $5,000 US. So, using that logic, I would expect your bike to be worth half that. But, sadly, few know what a Miyata is, so there isn't much of a market. Here in Portland Oregon, a bicycle city, it would probably fetch $1000 on Craigslist. I would think that Ebay might be a good place to sell if if that is what you chose to do, just have a local bike shop box it and handle the shipping for you.

I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. Are you still able to ride at all? Is it powering up hills the problem or is it something more?

p nut

butter
Yeah, worth waaay more than $150. That's a real collector's item. I've seen them go for $600+ on eBay. Maybe start with $1k on Craigslist or on a bikeforum then adjust from there if you don't get any bites.

Here is an example:

http://pages.globetrotter.net/ron.woodall/miyata.htm

It will be hard to determine the market value mainly because of the lack of comparable sales. But there are plenty of collectors looking to pay top dollar for a pristine, one owner model.

Last edited:

reachdean

Observer
Post sizing and photos. I don't need another bike, but I know a lot of people who ride and might help be able to find it a home in Canada, to save dealing with cross border shipping.

It's sad to hear you aren't able to ride much more, but I agree that finding someone who will put this bike to work will prove a real satisfaction. Consider CrazyGuyOnABike.com and Warmshowers.org as places to list it for sale. Both will help you get it in front of people who will see its value and be likely to want it, or know someone else who might want it.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have collected vintage bikes for years. The value of even the most rare and pristine bikes, is sadly very low. I even have a team issue Bianchi road bike that was raced in the 85 pro world championships and it's likely only worth a few hundred bucks. It's priceless to me.

I also sold my '79 Dutch Gazelle, a stunning bike that in the hands of the right collector could have fetched $1000. I sold it to a fellow ExPo member for $400. I more or less wanted it to go to a good home and took the hit.

Vintage bikes are emotional investments. Sometimes that's reason enough to keep one.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
First get well Mike!!

The Miyata is a good bike and still has some that are looking for this classic ride, kind of like a 1985 Toyota pickup. Second I would look to google to see what people are getting for the 1000s and what the demand is like. Ebay or other bike forums (adventure biking assoc.) may be a good place to start. Don't be afraid to ship the bike if you want top dollar. Take good pictures and really sell the bike as an ultimate touring ride you can not replicate.

Then take it to a bike shop and get it boxed up professionally, they may charge for this service. Let your perspective buyers know you are taking an extra step in the care and handling of this bike. Then get some quotes on shipping. Pass all of it on to the customer, and be up front on shipping.

Get the word out to locals and friends, neighbors and co-workers. You never know a neighbor or co-worker may have the same dream you did and is looking to bike across the Americas. That is what happened to me and my old Miyata 916. I had a ski bum friend that was a chairlift operator and commercial fisherman that wanted to take a bike tour from Washington to NoCal in his off time. I was looking to get $400 just for the bike but he got the poor friend deal of $325 and a full kit of extra touring gear that I had laying around.

To give you more of an idea of bike pricing my Masi SSCX sold for $420 and a bag of chocolate chip cookies. I was asking $550.

2014 summer 016.jpg

Oh and BTW, two years after my friends lower 48 tour I ran into him as he came to the bike collective looking for spokes to fix the wheel of my old Miyata. He turned it into a polo bike. kind of killed me, but it is still getting used.

Last edited:

bikemig

This is not a for sale thread but rather a question about a sale.

Some background, I bought my dream bike in 1985. It is a Miyata 1000 touring bike, and it is my baby. It has gone many places, slept in my bedroom when I was single and has been babied. My dream for 35 years was to ride across Canada and the US and possibly south America. That dream is gone as I have been battling a lung disease and it does not look like I will ever be able to ride again. My issue is that for the past 10 years the bike has been in storage and not being rode and I think it is time that I parted with it. But I have no idea what it is worth or where to sell it if I decide to part with it. Parting means I am excepting my condition and loosing my dream. Keeping it is like rubbing salt in the wound every time I see it.

It is in great shape and in fact I still have some extra original tires that I bought with the bike, it has front and rear racks, panniers, bar end shifters, water bottle holders and runs perfect. It could use new foam on the handlebars but that is it. For me I think it is worth a lot of money but I really do not know.

So my question is what do you think it is worth and where should I list something like this as a local ad will only get those that want a $10 bike?

Thanks,

Let me start by saying that I am sorry that you are going through difficult health issues. You are dealing with some tough issues.

I worked in a bike shop in the 80s that sold Miyatas. I bought a team miyata and still ride it. It is one of the best riding bikes I have ever owned. I'm sorry that I didn't pick up a Miyata 1000 touring bike when I had the chance. They are fine machines and there is a market for them.

You have three choices. (1) You could try ebay. Normally that is where you get top dollar but there are fees involved and the ebay experience is not always a happy one for everyone involved.
(2) You could try to sell it locally. You won't get top dollar but you can and should hold out for a fair price. Here is where living in or near a large city helps as that means you are more likely to find buyers who will appreciate the bike.
(3) The third is to try out a site like bike forums. I spend some time there. That is a knowledgeable group of people who can help you with ideas about how to price and sell the bike.

I'm thinking the bike will sell readily at somewhere north of $500 but hard to tell without the pictures. I recently turned down a Miyata 1000 at $400 but it was not in great shape. There is a pretty active market in vintage touring bikes so you will be able to sell the bike at a fair price if you wish.

Photomike

Well it is time to sell. sad but not as bad as it could have been, I bought myself an electric assist bike and have started riding again. So far only 300kms this year but better than past years.

Here are some pictures of my baby. Still trying to figure out a price to list it at. Was thinking of 100,000 but may be high :sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 24
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 19

MR. ED

Observer
WOW!! Seeing those gray panniers really took me back to when I was a kid in the mid 80's when all I wanted to do was stuff mine full of gear and get a way for a night or two. GLWS- I don't have $100,000 but, I bet you could get over $500.00. My dream bikes sit in the basement because I won't take the financial hit in selling them.

Photomike

WOW!! Seeing those gray panniers really took me back to when I was a kid in the mid 80's when all I wanted to do was stuff mine full of gear and get a way for a night or two. GLWS- I don't have $100,000 but, I bet you could get over $500.00. My dream bikes sit in the basement because I won't take the financial hit in selling them.

I understand, even thought of mounting it to the wall in the living room (okay wife may have something to say about it) but there comes a time when keeping it is loosing as much money as selling it.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Mike,
Good looking bike and good luck with the sale. Like I said before Miyata's do have a cult. Here is my old 916 that I sold a few years back. I loved the white pearl paint.
miyata916.jpg
miyatamadeinjapan.jpg
miyata campy hubs.jpg

To get top dollar look for folks that collect Miyatas. They may be over seas, so you have to be willing to ship and factor that into your price. A simple vintage Miyata or vintage Koga Miyata google search may help getting you in touch with those that appreciate these bikes.

I could not stay a way from these bikes for too long. Having just a fatbike for a few years I missed longer tours on a classic steel bike, that is when I came across the Koga-Miyata traveler with Shimano Golden Arrow group and full travel kit and nice golden metallic paint.
20160708_205541 small.jpg
20160628_182722small.jpg
20160628_182445small.jpg
20160628_182502small.jpg
20160628_181717small.jpg
20160628_182245small.jpg

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Well it is time to sell. sad but not as bad as it could have been, I bought myself an electric assist bike and have started riding again. So far only 300kms this year but better than past years.

Here are some pictures of my baby. Still trying to figure out a price to list it at. Was thinking of 100,000 but may be high :sombrero::sombrero::sombrero::sombrero:
Also list what you know for components, Suntour, Campi, Shimano, ect. Size in cm, tubing material, made in (Japan?) all the little stickers that may be on the fork or on the seat-stay. Easy just to snap some pictures and include those in your add. Not everyone knows how awesome a 1000 is and may need something to put it over the top. Think that potential buyers will be looking at Schwinn, Raleigh, Fuji, Surly, Soma and many others, going to have to sell them on yours. Always helps if you toss some new shoes, (Schwalbe Marathons, Kenda K-west or other good touring tires). If you have the ability ($) dress it up-bling it out with a Brooks saddle, bar tape and Crane bell.:bigbossHL:

Photomike

SOLD!!

Well after a lot of dragging my feet I sold the bike. I listed for what I thought was a good price, had some wackos contact me with stupid offers, several that were really interested but it was a size issue and today it sold.

Can say that I am sorry to sell but really it is something that deserves to be ridden not stored in a garage.

Got my minimum price for it and tossed in all the accessories so hopefully the new owner will have as many or more good memories than I had with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online